3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Firefly pic's?  (Read 408 times)

Offline suttoman

• Trad Bowhunter
Firefly pic's?
« on: July 18, 2008, 07:08:00 AM »
I have ordered another Firefly off Jim and need some ideas for timber combo's.  My first one was just a basic bow from stock - his cheap entry bow.  I like the way it shoots so much a F/F will prob become my main go-to-bow (especially for travelling being a t/D).  I have ordered one with all the bells and whistles.

I don't like a bow that is too 'busy' - I will probably just go with one timber on the riser and maybe just some accents or pinstripes in a lighter coloured timber.

Am thinking of Cocobolo riser with maple pin-stripes and Tamo Ash limbs.

I did a search and there is a few pic's on here already - but would like to see some new ones!

Thanks in anticipation.

sutto
One hour of life, crowded to the full with glorious action .... is worth whole years of those mean observances of paltry decorum, in which men steal through existence, like sluggish waters through a marsh, without either honor or observation

Offline Drew

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Firefly pic's?
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2008, 08:05:00 AM »
Mine is Coco & Curly Maple...Jim picked an awesome piece of wood.

Sounds like you want a darker look to it, Coco, with maple pinstripes, and Curly Birch veneers with a dark stain would look sweet!
Just a Coyote Soul out wandering...

Offline suttoman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2008, 09:30:00 AM »
Thanks for your pic's Drew.  I have read your comments on other threads and know that - like me - you really like your F/F.

Yes bit of a hard decision.  So many timber combo's hard to know sitting thousands of miles away which one would look best.

The nicest one I have seen thus far is Heydeerman's bow - simple but very elegant.  I would defenitly choose the Bocote but my T/C is Bocote so want to go with something a bit different.

Come on lads - any more pic's??

Sutto
One hour of life, crowded to the full with glorious action .... is worth whole years of those mean observances of paltry decorum, in which men steal through existence, like sluggish waters through a marsh, without either honor or observation

Offline suttoman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2008, 10:13:00 PM »
Is that all the Firefly bows we have lurking out there - methinks not?

Sutto

Offline CHAD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2008, 12:46:00 AM »
Jim builds a great bow.This one is macassar ebony and zebra with zebra over boo limbs.

Offline suttoman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2008, 02:18:00 AM »
Hey Chad - that is a great looking bow. Thanks for posting - it has given me some ideas for the timber combo's that I am looking for.

sutto

Offline Matabele

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2008, 08:09:00 AM »
Hey Sutto!

Sorry no pictures yet, my bow is only arriving in a couple weeks at best but its going to be Macassar Ebony and Bocote riser with Juniper limb veneers.

I'll post pics  as soon as it arrives!

This is all thanks to you incidentally for twisting my rubber arm, cant wait:) !!

Offline suttoman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2008, 09:52:00 AM »
Yes man - wise choice.  I have bought a couple more bows since we 'spoke' last and have done heaps of testing of them all.  The Firefly (for my three piece), is just unbeatable - head and shoulders above the rest.

Of all the bows I have owned over the years I have never ordered a second bow from the same Bowyer - none have been that good.  I have just ordered this second bow off Jim - I think that says it all!

Yes please send me pic's and a report as soon as it arrives.

Thanks - Sutto

Offline heydeerman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2008, 10:31:00 PM »

Offline suttoman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2008, 01:39:00 AM »
Jim - you are a legend man.  I was wondering how long it would take for you to pop up and post a pic of this awesome bow.

In fact your bow has been a source of inspiration to me.  I am liaising with Jim at the moment as to my timber combo's.  AFter looking long and hard at your bow I am thinking primary timber Bocote, secondary timber Maccasar ebony with Tamo ash on the limbs.

Thanks for posting - Sutto

Offline heydeerman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2008, 09:28:00 AM »
i LIKE cHADS BOW UP THERE. tHAT MACASSAR EBONY LOOKS PRETTY DARN SWEET. (Dang kids left the caps lock on again)...I have been thinkin about another one of Jims bows but I really dont have the need. I am totally satisfied with the one I have. I guess when I get tired of the looks of mine I'll order another.

Offline heydeerman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2008, 02:17:00 PM »
BTW,  I have a new set of 50@28 limbs for my FF waiting for me at the post office.

Jim has been at this for some time but did not get the exposure till he was picked up by a Braveheart. He may not be perfect but he sure is good. Seems like alot of thought went into designing his bow.

man I keep looking at that ebony and .......

Offline sgrogg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2008, 03:05:00 PM »
Does "FireFly" have a web site?

Offline CHAD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2008, 03:29:00 PM »
sgrogg,Check out Braveheart Archery they are a sponser here that sells FireFly bows.Jim has no web site.

Offline SlowBowinMO

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2008, 04:15:00 PM »
Suttoman, I'd post some pics but you've seen all ours!   :biglaugh:  

sgrogg, here's some Firefly info:

Firefly Bows at Braveheart Archery
"Down-Log Blind at Misty River"

Offline heydeerman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2008, 04:38:00 PM »
Here is a pic of mine in action...

Love that bow of yers, Jim - please use the PB editor to drop the pic width down to 640 or less before posting at Trad Gang.  Thanx!

Offline sgrogg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2008, 05:08:00 PM »
Thanks for the website fellas.  That's a sweet looking bow and the price is right too!

Offline suttoman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2008, 07:51:00 PM »
Thanks Jim - love that action pic.

I must have had even better service than you Heydeerman- Jim has been perfect for me.  ALWAYS answers my emails immediately.  ALWAYS addresses my questions and issues and bends over backwards to make me happy.

I have said this on here before - I have bought so many bows from the States have lost count - I was beginning to get sick of sloppy service at best, and donwright being treated with contempt from some companies.

The only ones I have any time for now are Dan Toelke at Whip, Dave Neidigh at Renegade bows and Bob Lee.

However Jim still stands head and shoulders above them all.  I am very pedantic and a perfectionist.  I am probably not easy to please because when I am spending big dough I want the best service.  I give it to my customers and I expect no less myself.

Jim turns a great bow into the best bow because of his service.

Sutto

Offline heydeerman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: July 20, 2008, 08:49:00 PM »
Maybe I need to clarify...Jim cant walk on water but he builds an excellent bow. His service is on par with the best of em out there. I have the utmost respect for Jim but he is about as perfect as I am. When I said he wasnt perfect I definately wasnt speaking about his service.

Rob...I thought I did reduce that pic...I'll try again.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©