3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Wear on outside of shelf  (Read 309 times)

Offline britts

• Trad Bowhunter
Wear on outside of shelf
« on: July 18, 2008, 09:22:00 AM »
I'm getting a lot of wear on the front outside of the shelf. I'm shooting a 46@28 BW that I pull to 29". I'm shooting Carbonwood 3000's cut to 30.5" with a 100gr brass insert and 175gr points.These bare shafted perfectly and grouped right with fletched arrows.

Offline Don Stokes

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Wear on outside of shelf
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2008, 12:09:00 PM »
Are you getting any wear on your side fletching? If the shelf is very wide, sometimes the fletching doesn't clear completely. When I set my nocking point during bare-shafting, I set it just a hair high to prevent this. I want the nock to be the least bit high I can manage when the bare shaft is in the target.

If your nocking point looks a bit high with an arrow on the string, but shoots straight when bare-shafting, you can build up the shelf a bit in one spot to level out the shaft, and clear the shelf better. This is also necessary if the bow is tillered for an elevated rest.
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.- Ben Franklin

Offline swampbuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2008, 12:20:00 PM »
Good luck with that LOL I've had the same problem for a long time.Bare shafts fly dead straight and hit with fletched FP's and BH's.

I normally slip a little something under the rug to move the contact point over the throat of the grip but I still get that wear spot which in case your wondering is from the arrow hitting probably a few inchs in front of the fletch near the label area thru the fletched area.Sometimes I think it's just me and how I release but I know I'm not alone.

I found the contact area by putting some red crayon on the wear spot and checking to see wear it it on my arrows.Not sure what to tell ya    :confused:  I quit worring about it to much since my arrows with BH's fly good and hit good.Sometimes it still bugs me and who knows maybe you'll find the answer and tell me LOL

Good luck TM
Shoot straight and have FUN!!

Offline Davie C.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2008, 12:30:00 PM »
Same wear here. It doesn't worry me too much.

I'm shooting a bear montana with CE 250's and 325 grns up front.

They fly straight when bareshafting, but I figured the wear meant the arrow was a little stiff...So I thinned out the side plate until it stopped contacting, at witch point they were shooting way too soft!

I'm not going to worry about it...

Offline JOKER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2008, 02:08:00 PM »
It sounds like it is tuned good so I would try setting your cock feather up (12 or 1 oclock). If you have a wide shelf you cold also take a little off of the outside of the shelf with a taper. Hope this helps. Steve

Offline bbassi

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2008, 02:21:00 PM »
I had the same thing as was told my arrows were too stiff. I went down a spine (wood) and the problem almost went away. one more spine and it probably would be gone but I didn't have anything lower. Also, try shooting with the cock feather in towards the shelf.
Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscripti catapultas habebunt.

Offline swampbuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2008, 03:14:00 PM »
Yea I heard that about being way to stiff also and tried full length arrows with 250grs up front no way they were to stiff which led me to think maybe it's that extra heavy FOC  thats keeping my arrows from lifting off the shelf.....   :confused:    :banghead:
Shoot straight and have FUN!!

Offline nyamazan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2008, 04:02:00 PM »
Had the same wear on my shelf. Bareshafted my arrows( which I had never done before and found them way too stiff), added around 100gr up front, got them flying pretty good and the shelf wear went away.
I'm new to all this so this was just my finding.

Offline heydeerman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2008, 04:55:00 PM »
Sometimes just moving the nocking point up just a hair will fix it.

Offline britts

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2008, 05:18:00 PM »
Thanks guys. I'll try moving the nocking point up. Sometimes I wonder if these carbons are worth all the trouble. Can't remember having these problems with cedars or aluminum.

Offline Bill Skinner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2008, 09:29:00 PM »
If you are getting wear on your shelf, you are not properly tuned.  Either your shaft is too stiff, your nock point is too low, or your brace height is too low.  It can also be a combination of the three.  If you have good flight and do not hunt, you can ignore it.  It does make a "tick" sound when you shoot that game will hear, and at close range, will rob some penetration.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©