3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Arrow weight Question  (Read 241 times)

Offline blueslfb

• Trad Bowhunter
Arrow weight Question
« on: July 18, 2008, 12:33:00 PM »
After doing some research/reading on arrow weight and momentum for my up-coming elk adventure, I have a question for the guys that know more than me.

After reading statements like "....you can never have too much arrow weight...." It seems there has to be a point where the law of diminishing returns becomes an issue.  The arrow is so heavy the bow is no longer able to generate enough energy to propel the arrow efficiently.  I think the problem would be with lighter poundages.  Like a 45#er shooting a 1200gr arrow vs. 45#er shooting say a 550grn arrow. Just an example to clarify the point.  Any thoughts or am I way off base.

Offline Deadsmple

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Arrow weight Question
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2008, 12:54:00 PM »
Yes I believe you are right. There is a point of diminishing returns. Where it starts I believe depends on how efficient the bow is. For me my rule of thumb is as long as the bow can propel the chosen arrow weight (in my case I never shoot arrows <600gr) over 150fps I'm confident that when the arrow get there it will do it's job. Now this is only my opinion based on personal experience. I hope someone that knows for sure would see this thread and clarify things.

Should not have said "never" I do sometimes shoot <600gr but am always atleast 10gr/lb.
All praise is the Lords

"to get to heaven, turn right and stay straight"

Offline brackshooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2008, 12:57:00 PM »
Sean-
If you are still shooting the JD berry I traded you, you shouldnt have any problems!  That bow with a 650 grain arrow will kill anything on this continent.  Still kicking myself for letting that bow go.....

Offline Deadsmple

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2008, 01:08:00 PM »
After reading my post I feel I might need to clarify a bit. My 150fps rule of thumb is for heavy arrows ie. 12-16gr/lb. If I'm shooting only 10gr/lb I want a minimum of 175fps, over 180fps is prefered.
All praise is the Lords

"to get to heaven, turn right and stay straight"

Offline blueslfb

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2008, 01:41:00 PM »
I guess I need to clarify a little.  The set-up I gave as an example is not what I am shooting when I go chase elk.  That was only an example.  The set-up I am usng this fall is a 60lb Hill Wesley Special shooting a 625gr arrow tipped with a Stos b/h.  

I tried all different arrow weights when I was deciding what to use for elk.  I tried everything from 550grn arrows up to almost 800grn arrows.  I found that with my bow I got good arrow flight, and flatter trajectory and good penetration with arrows in the 600 to 650grn range.  Once I got over 650grns the arrows dropped dramaticaly over 20yds and over that the "arch" in archery was an understatement.  I realize there are more efficient bows on the market but this is what I found for my set-up.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©