3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Should have listened - now what?  (Read 875 times)

Offline Maddog 66

• Trad Bowhunter
Should have listened - now what?
« on: July 18, 2008, 03:05:00 PM »
Long time lurker....first post.

Last winter I finally pulled the trigger and ordered my first recurve.  I had done quite a bit of research here and other places and ultimately decided not to follow the advice I had read and been told a dozen times or more.  That was: "get a relatively low poundage bow so you can develop proper form....then get something a little beefier".

Well, I'm a big guy and have been shooting a 70+ pound compound bow for years and I honestly believed that by going down to 54#, I'd have absolutely no problems.  I was wrong.

Call it arrogance, call it foolish pride, call it whatever you want but the bottom line is that I've shot it a ton this summer and I'm just not improving much.  I'm at the point now where I'm seriously thinking about not hunting with the recurve this year unless I can dramatically shrink my groups....which I don't think is going to happen any time soon with my current setup.  I'm sure this is because my practice sessions, after about the 10th arrow, go to hell in a handbasket because I start to get tired and what what few good habits I have been able to develop backslide.  I'm simply over-bowed for a beginner.

So here is my question(s):

1.  Would you recommend that I just pony up for a new set of limbs at something around 35# then go back to my 54# limbs later?

2.  Buy a MUCH less expensive bow in that same weight range to practice with for awhile?

3.  Keep working with what I have now in the hope that I can get better over the next year.

Thanks Much!!!

Online pdk25

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Should have listened - now what?
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2008, 03:10:00 PM »
I would say that you probably don't have to go down quite that low.  Try a few other bows out to decide what would be a comfortable weight.  If you can get an extra set of limbs for the bow that you have that would probably be ideal, since you would be using the same riser and it would be an easier transition back to the 54# limbs.  Unfortunately it might take a while to get them.  If you can't get limbs soon it may be too late for this hunting season, in which case getting a different model of bow may be a good option.  There are many good performing bows out there without a premium price, particularly if you buy used.  Good luck with your decision.

Offline JDice

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2008, 03:14:00 PM »
Obviously, it is hard to be specific via the web. Even so - here is 2 cents worth.

Is there a pro shop in your area - that has expertise in traditional bows? If so - take your equipment and go talk to them.

On getting a lighter bow (or limbs) - it is important to realize that might well mean a new set of arrows - properly setup for the new bow/limbs.

Offline Killdeer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2008, 03:14:00 PM »
I would get either limbs or another bow in the 45 pound range at your draw. That way, you could develop form and still have a bow that would kill those big Wisconsin deer. It sounds to me as though you could use a mentor in your area, someone to shoot with and learn from. Plus it's more fun with a friend.

Find a 45 pounder and see if you can live with it comfortably. If not, then drop poundage until you can. Form is of utmost importance right now.

Killdeer
Long, long afterward, in an oak I found the arrow, still unbroke;
And the song, from beginning to end, I found again in the heart of a friend.

~Longfellow

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2008, 03:20:00 PM »
I would just buy a cheap decent recurve from here or the auction site at around 45#s. You can pick a decent one up for $60-$100. Work on that for form until you get sloppy than wait an hour or so and pick up the 54#er and take just 2 or 3 shots. I bet in a month you will be shooting very well. Shawn
Shawn

Offline SCATTERSHOT

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2008, 03:21:00 PM »
Good advice above. Lots of old Pearsons, Shakespeares, Bears, etc. around for not much money. Get a 45 #er and go to work.

Good luck!
"Experience is a series of non - fatal mistakes."

Offline Molson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2008, 03:22:00 PM »
I would recommend the same as Pat.  Five pounds can make a world of difference.  You may only need to drop to 50 or 45 to gain control and you'll still have limbs or a bow you can hunt with.

Video yourself or have someone who knows watch to make sure you are actually drawing the bow correctly with the back.  You may find the issue is more in your form, particularly if you're using your arms to draw and hold, than in the weight of the bow.
"The old ways will work in the future, but the new ways have never worked in the past."

Offline Junction hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2008, 03:38:00 PM »
Might be overbowed but #54 is not a ton of weight.

It takes time to get good enough to hunt with recurve. Don't be to hard on yourself. Keep practicing if you're not ready by fall keep practicing. If you're not confident that you can get a clean kill, it becomes an ethical question.

Only been shooting recurve 4 years. Hate to admit it but I took out the compound for the first 2 years because I wasn't confident enough with the recurve. Last 2 years I left the compound in the case.

Offline Dartwick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2008, 03:51:00 PM »
If you really are a big guy it would be surprising if you couldnt work up to a 50-55lb recurve over the course of the summer.

Its probably more that you are used to the compound than it is that you are seriously over bowed.

You might want to look into some excercise and stretching. But dont go wild there is nothing worse than tearing a muscle which prevents you from doing what you were training for.
Wherever you went - here you are.

Offline fyrfyter43

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2008, 04:00:00 PM »
You say that your shooting goes to hell after about the 10th arrow. How are your first 10 arrows?
"In the joy of hunting is intimately woven the love of the great outdoors. The beauty of woods, valleys, mountains, and skies feeds the soul of the sportsman where the quest of game only whets his appetite." ~ Saxton Pope

Offline OkKeith

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2008, 04:03:00 PM »
Ya might look at how you conduct your practice sesssions as well. I have a couple of buddies who shoot with me that are wheel bow converts.

I had to modify their practice method. With a compound you can shoot arrow after arrow without getting too fatigued. How many arrows in your pocket, and how crowded the bullseye gets are the limiting factor. Not so with trad. gear. I only shoot 3 or 4 arrows, then go have a look at the target. I take a close look. Are all the arrows in a good group, are all the arrows straight into the target? These things can tell you a lot about your release and such. Taking the time to look at these things gives your back and arms a rest. I pull the arrows, take a swig of water, put all the arrows back in my belt quiver, then return to where I am shooting from. Shoot 3 or 4 more arrows and repeat the process.

Just standing there and shooting arrow after arrow wears you out, and honestly I can't maintain the level of concentration needed for good shots through a dozen arrows. Like I said, 3 or 4 at a time is my limit. When you shoot with another archer, it puts even more time between each shot effort, helping even more.

Ya might give this a try before getting new limbs or a new bow. If it don't work you always have those options.

Were it me, and the additional limbs at around 45# were available, I would go that direction.

Good Luck!

OkKeith
In a moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing. The worst thing you can do is nothing.
Theodore Roosevelt

Offline jared s

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2008, 04:04:00 PM »
I like to draw my bow and hold it as long as I can 10 times before I go to bed every night. Its quick, simple and easy to remember when the bow hangs over the bed. Oh, and its free.
Maybe start out with two or three times because as mentioned, dont want to pull anything right away.
"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it."
Ferris Bueller

Offline jared s

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2008, 04:04:00 PM »
Oh yeah, where in Wisconsin are you?
"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it."
Ferris Bueller

Offline Maddog 66

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2008, 05:09:00 PM »
Wow, lots of good responses...how refreshing campared to other websites.  Thank you all!!

First, I won't hunt with the bow until I'm confident out to 20 yards....even if that means leaving it in the case this season.

My first 10 or so arrows during a practice session are, quite honestly, a bit of a crap shoot.  At this point, nothing is very "automatic" for me yet.  I have to concentrate on the spot, my draw, my anchor, my release....you get the picture.  Probably the same things everyone goes through at the start.

To my knowledge, there isn't a traditional shop around here (Appleton) but the point is well taken about finding a mentor.  I know there are a few guys at my local archery range who shoot traditional but I don't know them or see them very often.  I'll have to change that.  I've always been kind of a DIY guy but this might not be the ideal situation for that huh?  

I agree that 54# isn't much weight but having just started at this I can say that it sure SEEMS heavier than that.

For what it's worth, I spent quite a bit of time bare-shaft tuning my arrows and working on FOC. When I do things relatively right (at least in my mind), they fly very well.

Offline Gator1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2008, 05:20:00 PM »
I don't know if this was mentioned, but many times some weight can be taken off the existing limbs, that might make for a  quicker turnaround time..

Offline buckster

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2008, 05:27:00 PM »
I know this doesn't fall into any of your options you listed, buy have your considered finding a good coach?

It is the best money I ever spent.  I am still not a great shot, but I am much better and have a repeatable form on most days.  I can comfortably hit my intended target out to 20-25 yards fairly consistently.
"Carpe Carp" ... Seize the fish.

Offline JDice

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: July 18, 2008, 05:56:00 PM »
Out of curiousity, I did a web search on the phrase "switching compound recurve". The search returned a get many hits - the few that I checked had information similiar to what has already been posted. There was one that gave a specific suggestion on the coach suggestion that might be of value. It was - "I would also suggest that you contact the NAA at  www.USARCHERY.org  and find a JOAD club in your area. both recurve and compound are welcomed at most JOAD clubs and you will normally find qualified coaching for very low fees."

Offline amar911

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: July 18, 2008, 06:13:00 PM »
If you were drawing a 70 pound compound, then you should not have too much of a problem drawing a 54 pound recurve after you have spent enough time increasing the strength of you muscles and connective tissue in the later stages of your draw where the peak weight comes into play in the recurve as opposed to the let-off in a compound. Try doing the exercise suggested above about holding as long as possible at full draw on a nightly basis, or better yet, add a Bowfit exerciser to you workout regime. The "heavy" model is the one you need. Also, be sure to exercise your stabilizing muscles, especially those on your left side if you are right handed. If you cannot maintain stability at full draw you will not shoot well, even if you gain the strength to pull back the bow to full draw without problems. The Bowfit DVD that you can buy as part of a package shows all these exercises. You can order from the Bowfit website or from Cabelas. Just shooting you bow daily helps a lot too, but it sounds like you are doing that and need some additional help. I can't argue with the coaching suggestion either. Those guys know a lot more than I do.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Greg Szalewski

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: July 18, 2008, 07:10:00 PM »
The WTA(Wisconsin Traditional Archers) are having a shoot this weekend at Racine Instinctive Bowmen. That would be a great place to find an old bow and get help. There will be plenty of vendors. Join the WTA while you are at it, you won't be sorry.
PBS Regular, Ask me about The Professional Bowhunters Society; we stand for ethics.
Past President, Wisconsin Traditional Archers
Life member, Wisconsin Bowhunters
Sherwood Forest Bowmen
Traditional Bowhunters of Florida
Colorado Bowhunters Association
Michigan Traditional Bowhunters

Offline SteveB

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: July 18, 2008, 07:19:00 PM »
Muscles used for shooting a compound and quite a bit different then those used for a recurve - wght pulled by one has litle correlation to the other.

Yes you can 'work up" to shooting a bow you are overbowed for. Might work in time or might become an exersize in frustration.

Or you could get an inexpensive bow in the 35 to 40 lb range and learn to shoot much quicker while developing the strength needed to go higher with control and form.

Steve

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©