3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Tips for preventing leather from bleeding?  (Read 327 times)

Offline TSP

• Trad Bowhunter
Tips for preventing leather from bleeding?
« on: July 18, 2008, 03:37:00 PM »
Got a new backquiver and the dye is bleeding out...can't put it on without the strap leaving a sizable red/brown stain.  For you leathersmiths out there, is there a reliable process/procedure for preventing the leather from bleeding and then treating it with some kind of leather protectant?  

I thought about soaking it in multiple tubs of water until the water was clear, but this quiver has some rattler skin embedded in it and I wouldn't want to damage that.

Online M60gunner

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Tips for preventing leather from bleeding?
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2008, 11:53:00 PM »
I had the same problem with Latago leather. This may sound strange but I used Olive oil and an old towel. I got the idea from a Tandy rep some years back.. It took awhile and a bit of elbow grease but I was able to get the towel to a point that no dye came out. I have done it since on other quivers I made.
One would think the oil would would make it worst (I did) but it did work plus the olive oil is natural and has no petro chemicals in it to crack the leather. I used the cheap olive oil.

Offline wislnwings

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2008, 08:49:00 AM »
I have the same problem with my side quiver using it for 3D down here in our heat and humidity.  I might have to try the olive oil.

Offline defiant

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2008, 12:18:00 PM »
Or you can buy a leather sealer from Tandy or craft store.

Offline TSP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2008, 04:58:00 PM »
I've heard that leather sealer only works well if you first get rid of the 'extra' (surface) dye in the leather...otherwise it'll just start coming back out after awhile.  

Have to wonder how the experts do it...especially when there's stuff like snakeskin or other potentially sensitive add-ons involved.

Offline TSP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2008, 08:53:00 AM »
Well, guess I'll just have to check with some leathergood sites for ideas.  Thanks anyway.

Offline Lin Rhea

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2008, 09:27:00 AM »
Guys,
      My leather guy seals all of my knife sheaths with a 50-50 mix of viscous oil and Balistol. The viscous oil thins the Balistol and the Balistol has acid neutralizing properties. He has a vat that he just dips them in and lets them dry for a couple days.
      Carbon steel will rust pretty fast in an untreated sheath, so he tries to help all he can.
      I know there are other leather sealants, but I dont know what they are called at the moment.
                         Lin
"We dont rent pigs." Augustus McCrae
ABS Master Bladesmith
TGMM Family of the Bow
Dwyer Dauntless longbow 50 @ 28
Ben Pearson recurve 50 @ 28
Tall Tines Recurve 47@28
McCullough Griffin longbow 43@28

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©