3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Arrow Straighteners  (Read 301 times)

Offline Ken from AZ

• Trad Bowhunter
Arrow Straighteners
« on: July 19, 2008, 02:02:00 AM »
What is a your best advice on an WOOD arrow straightener to be used in my work shop. I have been looking around the web and there are too dang many to choose from...I would like one that is good on finished and raw shafts. More so for finished shafts for initial and regular straightening. Thanks!
ACT WITH RESPECT! YOUR ACTIONS REFLECT ON EVERYONE WHO CALLS THEMSELVES A HUNTER!

Proud Member of the Arizona Predator Callers

Proud Life Time Member of the NRA

Offline longstiks

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Arrow Straighteners
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2008, 04:23:00 AM »
I have an ACE roller straightener that works well on both.
Denny

Offline Stringdancer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2008, 07:15:00 AM »
I'm with longstiks....  The Ace Roller works on finished arrows without harming the finish.  

Mike
" FEAR THE MAN WITH ONE BOW "

Offline dino

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2008, 08:34:00 AM »
Ken,
I've tried out about every wood arrow straightener out on the market at one time or another.  None of them work better than hand straightening and a little heat if necessary.  You also didn't state what type of wood shafting.  The ace and most other will work ok on ceder, pine, sitka and other soft woods but never had any luck with them on hickory, ash, birch or other hardwood shafting.  If I had to choose a straightener for soft wood shafting, the Ace would be the best on finished shafting and the hook straightener is the most effective on raw shafting.
"The most demanding thing you can ask of a piece of wood is for it to become an arrow shaft. You reduce it to the smallest of dimension yet ask it to remain it's strongest, straightest and most durable." Bill Sweetland

Offline STEVE R.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2008, 09:25:00 AM »
I have tried them all including the hand meathod. The ace roller is the best for me. I also spin my arrow on an apple spin tester that sits on top of a flat board with a black line runing down it. when the arrow follows the line with out a wobble it is a straight a any arrow out there.

Offline Canyon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2008, 04:28:00 PM »
Round shank screwdriver and a good eye are pretty good.

Jim Coffey
A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight;nothing he cares about more than his own personal safety;is a miserable creature who has no chance of being free,unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself.

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2008, 05:11:00 PM »
What Canyon said... I also just use my hand and that's has always word for me, when I'm done I roll it on a flat long/wide area.

Offline donw

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2008, 05:43:00 PM »
i have and use all of them...the one i like best and seems to work best for me is the hook 'n' heat...
i was told by a sales person, when purchasing an out-of-date newpaper that it was out-of-date...

i told her "i've been told i'm out-of-date, too"...

does that mean i'm up-to-date?

Offline Bowspirit

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2008, 06:18:00 PM »
Another vote for what Canyon said...
“I read somewhere of how important it is in life, not necessarily to be strong, but to feel strong. To measure yourself at least once.”
                -Alexander Supertramp

"Shoot this for me."
                -Chuck Nelson

Offline JEFF B

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2008, 07:19:00 PM »
i just use my hand it works real good or a bit of wood with a hole in it.there are many things ya can use its just up to you what you decide.
'' sometimes i wake up Grumpy;
other times i let her sleep"

TGMM FAMILY OF THE BOW

Online SuperK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2008, 11:51:00 PM »
Another vote for the Ace.
They exchanged the truth of GOD for a lie,and worshiped and served created things rather than the Creator-who is forever praised.Amen Romans 1:25 NIV

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2008, 12:28:00 AM »
Go buy a 3/8ths. inch pulley wheel (cheap) and works perfect. I like the screwdriver method as I have a good eye. Shanw
Shawn

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©