3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Hunting Goats  (Read 1350 times)

Offline Danny Rowan

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Hunting Goats
« on: July 20, 2008, 12:13:00 AM »
Just found out there is a small island north of Guam that is uninhabited except for a bunch of goats. Doing the research to see if I can go there and hunt to help control the population before they destroy all the plants on the island. Most likely these goats have been there since the spanish settled the islands hundreds of years ago as they liked to put goats and pigs on islands so they would have fresh meat. From what I understand the Northern Marianas Islands government wants to control the goats but does not have the money to do so, gonna see if they will let me help them out. LOL, I love barbqued goat. If I can get it done I will post a story on here, probably looking at 6 months out but hey it is close and won't cost me much to do it. Probably have to go there by boat but not a problem. This is gonna be great if I can get it worked out. Goats were made for bow hunting.

Danny
"When shooting instinctivly,it matters not which eye is dominant"

Jay Kidwell and Glenn St. Charles

TGMM Family Of The Bow
NRA Life/Patron member
NAHC life member
Retired CPO US Navy 1972-1993
Retired USCBP Supervisory Officer 1999-2017

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Hunting Goats
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2008, 12:17:00 AM »
Can I kill goats with ya? I am sure they would not be easy either, probably pretty wild ones! Shawn
Shawn

Offline jamie2778

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2008, 12:26:00 AM »
we hunt goats alot here downunder and i love roast goat with rosemary and garlic

Offline Danny Rowan

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2008, 12:28:00 AM »
Come on over Shawn. Yeah, pretty rugged terrain also I bet. But it will be a blast.

Danny

TGMM Family Of The Bow
NRA Life/Patron member
NAHC life member

Offline Benny Nganabbarru

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2008, 01:32:00 AM »
All the best, Danny! You might even crack the magic 40" mark!
TGMM - Family of the Bow

Offline suttoman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2008, 01:33:00 AM »
I hunt feral goats all the time in the desert here in Western Australia.  There are literally hundreds of thousands of them roaming wild over this vast State.   The farmers and land owners round them up every now and then and they go off to Saudi Arabia as fresh wild meat.  I often see them on the road in huge transporters.

They have to go live so they can then be killed according to the muslim way of doing things (facing Mecca etc).

Danny - prepare to have your work cut out for you man.  Some people do me a disservice by thinking 'old Sutto - he just shoots a few old goats - anybody can do that'.  That may be true with the nannies or kids (for the fresh young meat), but if you want the head Billy - then you will be sorely tested.

It is always a great days hunting and a wonderful accomplishment if you can nail the king Billy.  You usually have fifty pairs of nannies' eyes watching you before you can get to the big fella.  

What bow will you use Danny (I know you change them like your undies so can't keep up with which is your current - or is that your brother who I am thinking of) and how many pounds will you be pulling?

Keep us posted - Sutto
One hour of life, crowded to the full with glorious action .... is worth whole years of those mean observances of paltry decorum, in which men steal through existence, like sluggish waters through a marsh, without either honor or observation

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2008, 01:58:00 AM »
They can be very clever and a fun hunt!

Have a great time and take lotsa pics for us!

Offline Danny Rowan

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2008, 03:59:00 AM »
Sutto,

I will be using either my Brackenbury Quest at 64# or my Dale Dye Trails End at 63#. Although I am trying out a longbow right now a 70# Harrison Siberian Wolf that is treating me well.

LOL, my brother and I are both to blame though I have gone through a tad more than he has,but I got a head start on him,LOL.

Oh, I know they will not be pushovers, though these have seen very few humans. The last inhabitants of the island were removed in 1981 when one of the volcanos erupted. From what I understand there are some wild cattle there also.

Danny

TGMM Family Of The Bow
NRA Life/Patron member
NAHC life member

Offline Joseph

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2008, 05:00:00 AM »
That sounds like a really neat situation, who knows Danny, maybe you will end up as an outfitter/guide for Marianas Adventures!    :bigsmyl:  Could be a new career in the making.   :thumbsup:  Joseph
"Politicians are like diapers, they need to be changed often and for the same reason"

Offline suttoman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2008, 05:38:00 AM »
Wow Danny - I think those poundages should make mince meat of the old goats.

Thanks for your good sportsmanship - I was hoping after I wrote my comments that you didn't think I was being rude or taking a cheap shot at you.  To the contrary - I am just as bad - have had so many bows now have lost count.

Sutto
One hour of life, crowded to the full with glorious action .... is worth whole years of those mean observances of paltry decorum, in which men steal through existence, like sluggish waters through a marsh, without either honor or observation

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2008, 11:55:00 AM »
Sounds like a potential TBM article in the making Danny.
TGMM Family of the Bow
For hunting to have a future, we must invest ourselves in future hunters.

Offline Lslite

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2008, 01:32:00 PM »
Sutto,your dead on about those wary goats.I used to hunt a large sheep ranch in West Texas.The rancher kept belled goats in with the sheep to help guard against coyotes.They were spookier than any deer and I had many a fine stalk ruined by bell clanging,dust flying goat stampedes !

Offline Steve H.

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2008, 02:22:00 PM »
Oooooh, oooohhh, pick me, pick me!  I love hunting goats!  I hunted goats in the Caribbean three times and Hawaiian Islands five times.  Always looking for the next goat hunt!

Offline Rick McGowan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2008, 02:40:00 PM »
I just KNEW Stevo would post on this one! He still has a few of those 50 arrows per day of hunting goat arrows he made up for our trip to Mona. I have lots of them left also! I really don't care if I ever kill another old billy, BUT some tender young tasty goatling, now thats another story! Danny, did I see you mention CATTLE? Now you know I do have a bit of experience hunting wild cattle AND due strictly to my generous nature I will volunteer to help chase the goats out of the way and shoot, I mean help YOU shoot the cattle     :bigsmyl:

Offline Archie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2008, 04:16:00 PM »
My father used to hunt goats on Catalina Island off the coast of Southern California.  In the early 1970s, he owned and operated what was (at the time) the largest archery outfitter on the West Coast, Roman Archery.  He told me that he used to take beginning hunters to the island to hunt the Spanish goats there.  Dad passed away over a year ago, but Mom still has dozens of mounted goats in dad's shop area (among many other mounts).  You have a unique opportunity that I wish I had.  The goats (as I understand it) have been culled from Catalina and the island is a tourist destination now.
Life is a whole lot easier when you just plow around the stump.

2006  64" Black Widow PMA
2009  66" Black Widow PLX
2023  56" Cascade Archery Whitetail Hawk
2023  52" Cascade Archery Golden Hawk Magnum

Offline KSdan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2008, 04:51:00 PM »
I did that on Catalina Island before they trapped them all off.  Man that was a riot. . . you should have fun.
If we're not supposed to eat animals ... how come they're made out of meat? ~anon

Bears can attack people- although fewer people have been killed by bears than in all WWI and WWII combined.

Offline Danny Rowan

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2008, 05:31:00 PM »
Rick and Steve H,

I will keep you informed, you are welcome to come and hunt with me if I can get this done.

Danny

TGMM Family Of The Bow
NRA Life/Patron member
NAHC life member

Offline Rick McGowan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2008, 05:39:00 PM »
WOOHOO!

Offline jdemoya

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: July 20, 2008, 10:52:00 PM »
Steve and RicMic, do not forget that you need me. Just in case...

Stay healthy.

God bless,

Jose

Offline Steve H.

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: July 21, 2008, 01:09:00 AM »
Jose':

We'll have to bring a razor along and shave RicMic's head to see how close you made the stitches!  Almost the ten year anniversay of those trips.

90's Atlantic Islands, 00' the Pacific!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©