3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: max gr/#?  (Read 393 times)

Online ozy clint

• Trad Bowhunter
max gr/#?
« on: July 21, 2008, 06:44:00 AM »
what do you consider to be the max gr/# before performance goes backwards? i'm looking at working up some buff arrows for a 70# recurve. i want go as heavy as possible. but what is the limit?
Thick fog slowly lifts
Jagged peaks and hairy beast
Food for soul and body.

Border black douglas recurve 70# and 58# HEX6 BB2 limbs

Offline Benny Nganabbarru

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: max gr/#?
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2008, 07:04:00 AM »
If it lands at your feet, it might be too much! Seriously, from 70 pounds my hunch is not to exceed 1000 grains. I did shoot 1260 grains from my 78lb @ 29" PLX longbow for awhile, and even passed my ABA proficiency test with it, but it did have quite a bit of drop. From reading about the fellows who have shot buffalo, 1000 grains would do nicely. I think the ones who've used 1200 grains or so might've been shooting over 80 pounds. You might even go for 950 grains.
TGMM - Family of the Bow

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2008, 09:12:00 AM »
I believe it is around 13-14 grains per pound. I think I saw OL post that at one time. I myself like 9-10 gpp. for the game I hunt. I f I were hunting moose or some of the african game than I would go a bit heavier and for Water Buff I would go with 12gpp at least and shoot at least 75#s. Shawn
Shawn

Offline Java Man

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2008, 10:57:00 AM »
A friend of mine got a Cape Buff with a LB pulling 79#@26", and arrows around 1470gr. That's about 18gr/lb.  Rainbow trajectory, but that worked fine at 15yds from a hide.
"TGMM Family of the Bow"

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©