3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Advice on where to start...  (Read 433 times)

Offline chsnelk03

• Trad Bowhunter
Advice on where to start...
« on: July 21, 2008, 08:36:00 AM »
I just started trad shooting and I need some advice on arrows. I am currently trying to shoot a 64" longbow that is 51# @ 28". I have a 28" draw. I have been shooting some Easton GG II 2117 that are 32" with 145 grain fp's and 3 fletched with 4" parabolic feathers. These don't fly so good. Most of the time they tail to the left. Sometimes they appear to fishtail. I have a dozen uncut GG's that are spined .500, These are the arrows I would like to use. I would like to keep arrow length at 30" and use at least a 150 grain head. The heavier the arrow the better. You guys have any suggestions?

Thanks in advance!
Roger Burton, SMSgt
Chief, Fire Emergency Services
179th AW Mansfield, OH

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Advice on where to start...
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2008, 08:44:00 AM »
It depends on the longbow, is it a hard R/D, is it cut past center and is it FF? I think the GGs cut to 30"s with a 125 to 150 grain head should work unless the bow is a real high performer cut well past center. The 2117s would be too stiff for most LBs at that weight. Shawn
Shawn

Offline chsnelk03

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2008, 09:08:00 AM »
Thanks Shawn. The bow has very little if any R/D, is not cut to center and has a b-50 string. I was hoping the GG's @ 30" would be a good combo. I would like to get this arrow up to 550 grains if possible, any suggestions?
Roger Burton, SMSgt
179th AW Mansfield, OH

Offline aromakr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2008, 09:22:00 AM »
Rogo:

2117's at full length still spine 70#, you are way over spined. I would try a 2016 cut to 29" weight will be a little less but you can make that up with point weight. I can't find my chart the gives weight per inch of Easton shafts. But going with either 2016 or 2018's with a heavy broadhead should get you the 550 your looking for.
Bob
Man must "believe" in something!  I "believe" I will go hunting-----

Offline chsnelk03

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2008, 09:54:00 AM »
Thanks Bob!
Roger Burton, SMSgt
179th AW Mansfield, OH

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement