3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Longbow more forgiving then a Recurve??  (Read 2220 times)

Offline swampbuck

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Longbow more forgiving then a Recurve??
« Reply #20 on: July 21, 2008, 05:58:00 PM »
May I suggest that YOU try several differnt bows to see what is better for YOU.

I hear LB's are harder to shoot well and I hear they are more forgiving too..doesn't that seem contradictory    :confused:   I personally did not loose accuracy going from a recurve to a LB and also didn't notice any added forgivness either,not saying it wasn't there just for ME I did not notice it.I like the feel of the newer RD LB's over the classic rattle your teeth D shaped bows but again feel is subjective to the user.

If LBs were more accurate they'd be shot in the olympics lets face it there not more accurate all else being equal as for more forgiving mmmmmmmmmmmm sorry all I can say for sure is I like them myself while others prefer their curve's
Shoot straight and have FUN!!

Offline Mr.Chuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: July 21, 2008, 06:29:00 PM »
Chose whatever bow you want to shoot, and go practice till you hit what you look at.  Problem solved!    :knothead:    :thumbsup:

Offline bowhunterfrompast

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: July 21, 2008, 07:50:00 PM »
It's been years but if I remember correctly, Howard Hill also stated that you could grab the string on a longbow and twist it, the longbow would not unstring itself. A recurve would come unstrung.

All the legends chose the bow they could shoot the best and history was made.

As already stated each to his own.
Rick Wakeman
UBM Lifetime Member
American Broadhead Collectors Club

Offline beaglesandbucks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: July 21, 2008, 08:14:00 PM »
All I know..is this....

I started my traditional journey with recurves...and almost gave it up...UNTIL....my eye was caught one day by a Martin Savannah.

I got it for my birthday in 2006...and have never looked back.  Liked the longbow so much...I bought a Widow PLII.

FOR ME...(note the emphasis...ME).....I shoot longbows better.  They kept me on the traditional straight and narrow.
When the journey becomes as valuable as the goal........go "traditional."

Online frassettor

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: July 21, 2008, 08:18:00 PM »
Originally posted by Daddy Bear:
"I use the straight-end longbow for the simple reason that it requires a less exacting hold and loose to get necessary accuracy while hunting, where quick shots must be made from unconventional positions-standing, kneeling or sitting-not the traditional target archer's pose. Also, the longbow throws a heavy arrow much better than any recurve designed, which is necessary for sufficient big game penetration. The longbow is fast, smooth, sturdy and dependable, built to give many years of trouble-free service." - Howard Hill

I'm of the opinion that those words are as valid today as then. I agree completely when kept in context of hunting, hunting shots, and hunting accuracy. Many target archers will quickly point out tournament scores and rankings to dispute this logic. I'm of the opinion that such comparison misses the point entirely.

One does not need pinpoint accuracy while using strinct target archer form when hunting game afoot. It would be great to have, but it is more important to have greater flexibility and a range of tolerance in position and form while maintaining killing accuracy. It is of far greater importance to maintain this killing accuracy from unconventional field positons than to maintain pinpoint precision from your best position.

All of the above does require that you have proficiency in your marksmanship. You need the ability to properly execute killing shots. But it doesn't require that you maintain silver dollar tournament groups.

Where I find the joy in the longbow is indeed when hunting game afoot. The very characteristics that hamper the longbow in tournament scores are the very characteristics that make it shine when hunting game afoot. Its light weight and pointability marries the bow to the hunter like no other. Combined with the proper draw techniques, the longbow shows outstanding accuracy on small moving game that is hard to match with the heavier recurve. Despite its longer length, with the longbow shooting an arrow close to the hand it is very accurate on game when working the bow from extreme angles both forward and reverse to include everything between.

For me, when it comes to having a hell for stout bow that is easy to manage, light to carry, casts heavy arrows well, has a broad range of acceptable accuracy (forginveness) for when I'm cold, tired, and/or shooting from an odd position, keeps the arrow close to my hand so I can quickly swing on moving targets, aerials and such, ....for all of this I find the longbow to be my choice.

later,
Daddy Bear
Well said!!  :thumbsup:
"Everything's fine,just fine". Dad

Offline Tim

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: July 21, 2008, 08:19:00 PM »
Jerry  -  I'm little bit of a form nut and I do believe the heavier mass weight of the recurve allows me to settle in more comfortably and retain that position after the shot. I do prefer the cleaner sight picture of a longbow which like you I can bring up on target quicker.

Nobody has gotten into grips yet? Longbow versus recurve anyone....locator, straight, recurve...

I seem much more consistent with a recurve grip although I prefer a locator.  The madness continues.   :bigsmyl:

Online pdk25

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: July 21, 2008, 08:41:00 PM »
Daddy Bear,
  I certainly shouldn't argue with Mr. Hill, but I'm pretty sure that no objective evidence supports the claim that longbows throw heavier arrows better than longbows.  I shoot my longbow better than my recurve, but it has alot of mass weight in the riser with a bow-bolt and dymondwood. I don't know that I agree with longbows being better suited to fast shooting with a less exacting grip.  It seems the extra mass weight of the riser would make up for this.  Just my opinion. Oh well, had to stir the pot.

Online pdk25

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: July 21, 2008, 08:43:00 PM »
Should read "longbows throw heavier arrows better than recurves".

Offline Scott Gray

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: July 21, 2008, 11:10:00 PM »
Honestly I think it doesn't matter. I can shoot both well. I have owned both, but not both at the same time. I think that it would be difficult to shoot both well going back and forth. I shot recurves very well and wanted to try a longbow,sold the 'curve and although there was a learning curve I can shoot it as well as a recurve. As far as forgiveness goes I honestly think there is no difference in forgiveness. A good shot is still a good shot and a bad one is still a bad one with either bow.
BlackCreek Banshee 42 lbs@28

Offline BMG

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: July 21, 2008, 11:20:00 PM »
I was just reading the Cloverdale Nationals webpage looking at the scores posted.   Vvveeeery interesting who came out with the highest score.

Offline Widowbender

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: July 21, 2008, 11:29:00 PM »
Don't make your bow mad and you won't have to worry about it forgiving you   :knothead:

David
David

>>>>--TGMM-Family-of-the-Bow-->

Chatham County Chapter NWTF
Chapel Hill Friends of NRA

Offline Dartwick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: July 21, 2008, 11:30:00 PM »
Originally posted by swampbuck:

I hear LB's are harder to shoot well and I hear they are more forgiving too..doesn't that seem contradictory     :confused:    
I dont think what you heard is what was said.
Wherever you went - here you are.

Online pdk25

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: July 21, 2008, 11:40:00 PM »
I feel much the same as Mr. Gray.

Offline longbowben

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: July 22, 2008, 12:16:00 AM »
A longbow will consume you.Its a love hate relationship.
54" Hoots 57@28
60" MOAB 60@28
Gold tip, 160gr Snuffer
TGMM Family of the Bow
USAF 90-96 69TH Bomb Squadron

Offline Don Stokes

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: July 22, 2008, 10:13:00 AM »
There's so much overlap these days in the way limbs are designed, the "forgivability" difference may not be as obvious as in the past. The most noticeable difference is between a Hill-style straight-and-narrow longbow and a wide-and-thin limbed recurve, but it only shows up when you really need it!
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.- Ben Franklin

Offline swampbuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: July 22, 2008, 10:30:00 AM »
Dartwick,if ya look around not just on this thread or even this site you'll see both sides just as I said.Sometimes the arguements or disagreemnts are quite old this is just one of those.

I personally like LB's better and maybe??I even shoot them better but that still doesn't change the facts that all else being equal recurves are more accurate.

Please somebody show me an olympic contender doing so with a LB.....Don't get me wrong I really really like LB's but my like's or dislike's doesn't change the facts.

We should shot what we want for our own personal satisfaction,if thats a self bow great if its a full blown fita rig well thats great too.It amazes me more and more everyday even in a forum that insists on .....oh never mind have a great day guys/gals

Online frassettor

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: July 22, 2008, 11:47:00 AM »
BOY, I should have done a poll on this one!  :biglaugh:

Offline mike g

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: July 22, 2008, 12:05:00 PM »
Olympic shooters use Recurves, Butt all of the great shots and trick shooters used longbows...
    Howard Hill and Byron Feruguson....So which bow is more Accurate....
"TGMM Family of the Bow"

Offline swampbuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: July 22, 2008, 12:15:00 PM »
"..So which bow is more Accurate...."

:thumbsup:

Online frassettor

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: July 22, 2008, 12:22:00 PM »
And here I thought it was a simple question  :bigsmyl:    :biglaugh:

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©