3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Kelty Kid Carrier Backpack?  (Read 1576 times)

Online wislnwings

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Kelty Kid Carrier Backpack?
« on: July 21, 2008, 11:40:00 AM »
Have any of you used one of these?  What did you think of it?  Also, does anyone know if there is a company that offers a similar product in camo or at least an olive green?  My wife and I are expecting our first child and are stocking up on the needed stuff.  This is one item we were looking at.

Offline Drew

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Kelty Kid Carrier Backpack?
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2008, 11:59:00 AM »
Get ahold of Tim Fishell...he used one at the MTB shoot with his son.  I know his son seemed to be comfy and Tim still was able to shoot well carrying him around.
Just a Coyote Soul out wandering...

Offline dead-eye

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2008, 12:23:00 PM »
I have two Kelty's that worked great.  When my son was younger, I could carry him around for a couple hours while I shot.  I'm pretty sure both had sun hoods on them, which is great for the little ones.  A lot of the time, he would just sleep as I shot.  Would   sell  one or both, but both of mine are blue... One is older, more plane jane model, while the other is newer, and has more bells and whistles (bought and used for my daughter)...

Brendan

Offline Tim Fishell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2008, 12:42:00 PM »
Here is a link to the one I have.  It works great.  I have not seen one in camo but Kelty makes a few of them in Olive Green.  Like Drew mentioned I shot quite a bit at our Michigan Tradtional Rendevous this year with our 10 month old on my back and didnt have a bit of trouble.  The reason we went with this one is because it has so much more space for esencials when you are out with a kid.  With the 1100ci of space we can get a few bottles of water for us and snacks, diapers, wipes, ect. for the kid and be out all day.  I will try and post some pics of me with it on tonight.  I dont have any of those pics here at work.

http://www.kelty.com/kelty/kids.php?type=&cat=48&ref=&id=337
Dreams can not be bought; they are free to those who have lived. -Mike Mitten

We must go beyond the textbooks, go out into the untrodden depths of the wilderness & travel & explore & tell the world the glories of our journey

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Deadsmple

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2008, 01:26:00 PM »
Excellent pack. I have the "Base camp" model and have used it with both my boys. If I remember correctly it was designed to support a kid up to 40lbs. My youngest is 32lbs and I've had him on my back all day at times with little fatigue. I found that I can shoot from many positions with it on. Real easy to take on and off, even with your child still in it. Although I have never hunted with either of my boys in it, I still used it alot in the woods and found it real easy to sneak around with.  Well worth the money in my opinion.
All praise is the Lords

"to get to heaven, turn right and stay straight"

Offline SKYLER W

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2008, 10:03:00 PM »
they are great.....We'll try to send you a link tomorrow where you can get a good buy,,,,,...
TGMM Family of the Bow

Speak softly and carry a Big Stick; You will go far.

Online wislnwings

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2008, 11:49:00 PM »
Thanks guys.  I figure the carry around the weight will also help get used to the weight of a backpack for fall trips.

Offline elkbreath

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2008, 02:17:00 AM »

Worth every penny.
77# @ 29.5 r/d longbow homer
80# @ 29.5 GN super Ghost

Offline VTer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2008, 07:16:00 AM »
I remember back in the day carrying my kids around in a backpack. They're 15 & 13 now, but I had a lot of fun shooting w/ them on my back. The packs look like they've improved a bunch since then.
Schafer Silvertip 66#-"In memory", Green Mountain Longbow 60#, Hill Country Harvest Master TD 59#

"Some of the world's greatest feats were accomplished by people not smart enough to know they were impossible."
    - Doug Lawson.

Offline 3blades

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2008, 08:08:00 AM »
Look into the    Deuter    pack. I found it more comfortable to wear kelty and built to last. I have two kids and many miles of use and mine is doing fine. Also has a water bladder and a shade canopy. They have three styles to choose from..
60's Bear Cub    45#@28"
Samick Stingray  50#@28"
Hickory self bow 55#@28"
HH Big 5 Longbow 65#@28"
Bears paw T/D LB 75#@28"

Offline Jeremy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2008, 08:16:00 AM »
I have the older style Kelty (same size as the one Tim has).  I had my 11 month old in it for the first time Sunday for a little bit.  He seemed comfortable - if a little confused  :)  - and I was able to get around fine.  The new ones look much better; mine is an 11 year old hand-me-down.
>>>-TGMM Family Of The Bow-->
CT CE/FS Chief Instructor
"Death is not the greatest loss in life.  The greatest loss is what dies inside us while we live." - Norman Cousins

Offline Bard1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2008, 10:39:00 AM »
As for comfortable....

My daughter fell asleep at the end of this four mile wilderness hike.  She was 3 1/2 and weight about 33#'s.
got arrows?

Offline BobW

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2008, 10:51:00 AM »
I had an "older" model (my daughter is 6 1/2 years old now).  They are excellent products, and well thought out.  I imagine the new ones are even better.
"A sagittis hungarorum libera nos Domine"
>>---TGMM-Family-of-the-Bow--->
Member: Double-T Archery Club, Amherst, NY
St. Judes - $100k for 2010 - WE DID IT!!!!

Offline Roadkill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2008, 10:58:00 AM »
Heck I thought you were talking about carrying out elk quarters!  Never had such when my kids were small-wish they had.  Nice looking kids here-some of them will be great archers, too.  early exposure is good for kids....
Cast a long shadow-you may provide shade to someone who needs it.  Semper Fi

Offline 3blades

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2008, 12:09:00 PM »
Me being a stay at home dad it is a real gift for me to take the boys out to practice and just plan be outdoors with them. I like it much better then a stroller as those just aren't cool.   :saywhat:
60's Bear Cub    45#@28"
Samick Stingray  50#@28"
Hickory self bow 55#@28"
HH Big 5 Longbow 65#@28"
Bears paw T/D LB 75#@28"

Offline Pig Sticker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2008, 12:27:00 PM »
I have used those kelty kid carriers with all three of my children.

I wrapped camo tape around the silvery legs.

Offline Bullfrog 1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2008, 01:28:00 PM »
One word of caution!!! I wanted to get one of these for my year old son. But after seeing my friends bow blow up on him , it would have been a disaster if he had a kid on his back. Be careful.   BILL

Offline Jeremy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: July 22, 2008, 02:20:00 PM »
Bill, that's a concern of mine as well.  Especially b/c all my bows were made before 1960.
>>>-TGMM Family Of The Bow-->
CT CE/FS Chief Instructor
"Death is not the greatest loss in life.  The greatest loss is what dies inside us while we live." - Norman Cousins

Offline katie

• Trad Bowhunter
  • “Lady Hawk”
« Reply #18 on: July 22, 2008, 02:27:00 PM »
We have hauled our little ones in them for years.  Try REI.com  I know they make some, not sure on the color.
"Thousands of tired, nerve-shaken, over-civilized people are beginning to find out that going to the mountains is going home; that wildness is a necessity"  John Muir

Offline RedTx

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: July 22, 2008, 05:18:00 PM »
I have one but it is not a kelty.  I cant remember what brand it is but I got it a babiesrus.  I have been hauling my oldest around in it since he was 10 months, and he still likes it at 3 when he cant quite make it through the brush when we are out scouting.  Here is a pic from last year when he was two. We were at enchantant rock a granite formation here in texas.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©