3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Is there a Magnus Stinger 2 blade in 150gr?  (Read 901 times)

Offline Joe Clark

• Trad Bowhunter
Is there a Magnus Stinger 2 blade in 150gr?
« on: July 21, 2008, 03:49:00 PM »
Is there a Magnus 2 blade in 150 grain or am I mistaking that folks are using the 150 grain 4 blade and not putting the bleeders on them?

Just wondering if I got it wrong or what!!!

Offline Jim Wright

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Is there a Magnus Stinger 2 blade in 150gr?
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2008, 04:03:00 PM »
I believe there is a 150 gr. 2 blade stinger "buzz cut"

Offline Smallwood

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2008, 04:16:00 PM »
nope, neither in the stinger or buzzcut.
they do make a 4-blade 150grn in the stinger.

Offline SlowBowinMO

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2008, 04:28:00 PM »
Yes there most definitely are 2 blade 150 grain Stingers available, and we have them in stock.  Both BuzzCuts and original Stingers, pick 'yer poison!    :thumbsup:    

They've been very popular with traditional archers.  Smallwood, they're new this year, probably why you hadn't heard of them.

Stinger Broadheads at Braveheart Archery  

Here's a shot of a 150 grain 2 blade BuzzCut.  The ferrule has been substantially beefed up on the 2 blade 150's.

"Down-Log Blind at Misty River"

Offline Joe Clark

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2008, 05:58:00 PM »
Okay, I am going with SlowBowinMO cause I like his answer better. I was hoping there was such a head.

See I knew I wasn't the only one confused. These aren't even on the Magnus website!

Offline RonD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2008, 06:12:00 PM »
SlowBowinMo,

Are they packaged in three or six pack and what are the prices you have on them?

Offline TNstickn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2008, 07:25:00 PM »
Do they make 150's in the glue on version?
Pick a spot.>>>>-------> Shoot straight.

Offline david janssen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2008, 07:27:00 PM »
What is the idea behind the serations in the blades? Do they leave a bigger hole or something? Can someone explain. Thanks.
David Janssen

Offline SlowBowinMO

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2008, 09:37:00 PM »
Ron D, like all the other Stingers they come in 3 packs.  Our price on the regular 2 blades is $20.99 a pack, the Buzzcut 2 blades run $23.99 a pack.

TNstickn, no glue on Stingers, sorry but we have lots of other glue ons.   :D  

David, the serrations are a hot topic of debate, some folks love 'em and some don't.  Mike at Magnus is adamant they leave bigger entrance and exit wounds.  I have some in my quiver ready to try out but haven't killed anything with them yet.  Since they're available in both razor edge and serrated you can pick what you like.   :thumbsup:

Offline Steel

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2008, 10:42:00 PM »
I am shooting the 150gr 2 blade buzzcut. I am looking forward to trying them out on a wildhog next week or two. I am eyeing a active wallow site it was really tore up last weekend when I found it.

Offline Doug in MI

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2008, 10:53:00 PM »
I just got my 150gr two blade Stingers from Bravehart Archery. I went with the plain edge because its easier to sharpen for me.
Bravehart was great to buy from. This was my first purchase and I got a realy good deal.
Team Hoots
Lil Hoot 55#@27
Black Widow SAIII 55#@27

Offline amar911

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2008, 12:38:00 AM »
I just ordered 15 of the 150 grain two blade plain edge from Braveheart. Based on my experiences with knife blades that have serrations, I have tended to prefer plain blades because they cut better unless you are trying to cut through something that wants to slide out of the way like nylon rope or webbing. I guess there might be something in an animal that is like that, but having cut up hundreds of big game animals from antelope to elephant, I have found a plain, very sharp blade to be better overall on tissue than a serrated blade. I can understand how Mike at Magnus might like the buzzcut better because it "tears" tissue while cutting it so that there is more damage to the tissue that is penetrated. Of course, this would imply that there would generally be less penetration too. On animals like deer where there is often a pass through anyway, who needs more penetration? But if I am shooting at elk, kudu, eland, grizzly or some other animal where penetration with bows of my draw weight is critical, every little bit helps in getting an arrow to the vitals and hopefully through the other side. If I were going after really heavy game like buffalo, I would go with something like the Silver Flame or a single bevel Grizzly, not any Stinger. All this theoretical thinking really doesn't mean much though. I ought to go with the guy (Mike) who makes these broadheads, has used all of them, and thinks the buzzcuts are the best. After all, the only thing that counts is performance in the field. I guess I am just way too stubborn to accept reality!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Steel

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2008, 08:15:00 AM »
I don't think the serrations are going to be some kind of Magic killng machine myself. They may be better a somethings and worse at others.I can tell you from cutting my own hand many,many times over the years it is harder to stop the bleeding form a blade with serrations(ever cut yourself with a steak knife) which is the main reason I think that type of blade may offer something over a plain edge. Still you may loose alittle penetration also who knows I guess I will know soon enough.When cleaning deer I often use a blade with serrations to cut Ligaments a plain blade will barely cut these while a blade with serrations cuts like a chainsaw through them. In the end if a guy puts any broadhead in the boiler room of a animal its over period so I really don't know if it matters one way or the other.

Offline Red Boar

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2008, 09:52:00 AM »
Serrations are made for cutting back and forth.  An arrow only travels forth.     ;)
Treadway "Black Swamp"
Super Shrew
'62 Kodiak Magnum

Offline J-dog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2008, 03:16:00 PM »
TOUCHE!!! Red Boar LOL

I am not sure they could cut a bigger hole? if the head is 1 and 1/8th inch cut then it is a 1 and 1/8th inch cut? redneck common sense. I dont think they hurt anything though? Doc Ashby says smooth is best - makes sense to me - so I stick to smooth.

Believe in the end it is up to the individual bow shooter. If it goes in the right spot = dead animal. Cool looking head though I gotta admit. and they do come shaving sharp out the pack, fly great and have a strong tip built in. Stingers are good heads!

Later

J
Always be stubborn.

Captain hindsight to the rescue!

Offline SlowBowinMO

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2008, 10:28:00 AM »
I've been pondering the serrated issue a lot lately and hope to put it to the test this season in the field.  There seems to be a real lack of substance regarding the issue (serrated vs. straight) although just about every archer seems to have a preference.

I'd like to do some testing, particularly in regard to the entrance/exit wounds of serrated vs. straight.  I can't really think of a good test medium though.  Anybody have any suggestions?

Offline beachbowhunter

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: July 25, 2008, 02:39:00 PM »
Tim, do you know if the blade on the 150 2 blades is thicker/heavier than the 4 bladers or is the weight difference all in the ferrule?
Ishi was a Californian                   :cool:

Offline SlowBowinMO

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: July 25, 2008, 03:16:00 PM »
It's all in the ferrule, they use the same replacement main blade as the 125's.

Since the ferrules are much thicker, and there are no bleeder blocks in the 2 blade, it is clear to me these 150 2 blades are the strongest Stingers ever made.   :thumbsup:

Offline Steel

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: July 25, 2008, 03:33:00 PM »
SlowBowinMO , I plan on testing a 150gr Buzzcut on some Wildhogs real soon  ;) .

Offline ArrowAtomik

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: July 25, 2008, 11:23:00 PM »
The only time I might wish I had a serrated blade is if it were stuck floating around on the inside of a wounded animal.  Otherwise, I think they are mainly for looks.  I love the original Stingers though... Very tough heads.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©