3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Turkey hunting and calls  (Read 1533 times)

Offline Chris Surtees

• Trad Bowhunter
Turkey hunting and calls
« on: February 21, 2007, 08:10:00 PM »
Just wondering which turkey call companies and calls y'all suggest using? I am just starting to get into Turkey hunting and want to get some decent calls. I am in need of locators as well.

The only turkeys I have killed have been by stalking while pig hunting and when someone else calls them in for me.

Thanks for the help.

Offline Slimpikins

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Turkey hunting and calls
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2007, 08:17:00 PM »
i use a h.s. strut lil deuce with home made hickory strikers.  its the only call i ever use and combined with a few strikers u can get different sounds from it.

Offline fxe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2007, 08:24:00 PM »
I use a Lynch Foolproof box call.I also use a Cody glass call with different strikers.For a locator I use a primos power crow.No call will work on all of them.Have fun and GOOD LUCK.WARNING TURKEY HUNTING IS ADDICTIVE!!  :D    :D

Offline sunny hill archer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2007, 08:48:00 PM »
Primos true triple mouth call and Tony Reynolds box, slate, glass and aluminum friction calls.I owl with my voice.
The old order is passing. Swiftly receding into memory are the days of strong, earnest men who followed an atavistic yearning to pit their skills against wild animals.

Billy Ellis

Offline adeeden

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2007, 09:23:00 PM »
My personal favorite call is Primos's Power crystal. The eastern birds just love it!
"I would rather be lucky then good, any day!"

Offline Woodduck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2007, 04:25:00 AM »

Can't see it to well; but it was my grandfathers (pre-1920s or round'about there), box call.
It's up there on the rocks past the turkey's head.

I was mighty proud to have his call and it worked for me.
Happy trails....   ('till we meet again, Dale Evans Rogers)
>>>--a kindred spirit--->     (got that from Fred Anderson)

North Carolina Bowhunters Association

Offline headknocker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2007, 06:04:00 AM »
Originally posted by Woodduck:

Can't see it to well; but it was my grandfathers (pre-1920s or round'about there), box call.
It's up there on the rocks past the turkey's head.

I was mighty proud to have his call and it worked for me. I think that cedar tree was smaller back in his day but I'm back in his old yard and house.
Woodduck, please take a picture of your box call and send it to me........I love old box calls..Mark.
"It's not the arrow, it's the Indian"

Offline southernarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2007, 10:52:00 AM »
The Primos Power Crystal is one of the finer sounding crystal production calls.I have tried most all of the production models,and as far as glass or crystal goes it's the one.A good majority of the production slate calls don't rollover.They are almost impossible to get a consistant 2 note yelp out of.There are a few that will,but can't remember any of the manu.

I use custom calls,which can be expensive,but worth the cash.

Also if you have lots of swamps around where you hunt there will be woodducks,get a woodduck call and learn how to do a flying call,I get very good results using it in the am to locate roosted Toms.

Good Luck,
          Mike
"We do this for fun, but we aren't playing"

Offline Wengerd Bowyer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2007, 11:08:00 AM »
Another vote for the Primos Power Crystal.

Offline drewsbow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2007, 07:14:00 PM »
I like the sonic dome mouth calls by primos
Try to be the person your dog thinks you are :0)
TGMM Family of the Bow
N.Y. Bowhunters member
BigJim 3 pc buffalo 48@28
BigJim thunderchild 55@31
BigJim thunderchild 55@32 Jim's bow

Offline BigRonHuntAlot

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2007, 08:04:00 PM »
If you have never used a diaphragm, you will be better off learning on a single or double reed call. The other multiple and half reeds are harder to use. Make sure you trim the call to fit the roof of your mouth. H.S. Strutt and Quaker Boy are my favorites. I like using friction calls too but would much rather have a diaphragm when the moment of truth arrives.
>>>-TGMM Family Of The Bow-->

The Moon Gave Us The Bow, The Sun Gave Us The Arrow

Walk Softly and Carry a Big Stick

Offline Chris Surtees

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2007, 08:13:00 PM »
Thanks for all info. It has been a big help.

One more question what are the best strikers to use? I have seen some that are made from hardwoods and others are exotic woods and laminated. Then there are the wet strikers made from synthetics. So many to choose from but it is hard to know what works and what is just for show.

The more I look the more I find. I knew there was a lot of stuff to choose from for turkey hunting just did not know there was this much.

Chris

Offline southernarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2007, 08:18:00 PM »
On the Power Crystal the purple heart is the way to go.Most production calls come with strikers that will play on the calls.But,you can use pretty much whatever you want,just try them out.Three different strikers will make one call sound like three different calls.
"We do this for fun, but we aren't playing"

Offline gobbler10ga

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2007, 08:58:00 PM »
I carry a ton of calls to field test but my longbox is my go to call
TEAM HILLBILLY

Offline Duckbutt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2007, 09:32:00 PM »
Originally posted by southernarcher:

Also if you have lots of swamps around where you hunt there will be woodducks,get a woodduck call and learn how to do a flying call,I get very good results using it in the am to locate roosted Toms.

That's interesting Mike.  I've never heard anybody mention that but I do remember a bird I busted with the smokepole years ago that shock gobbled after a woody flying over head squeeled. EEEEEEKKKk.....gobble..gobble.gobble BOOOOM!

Offline gwhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2007, 10:02:00 PM »
I've gotten responses with a duck call.  I like all my calls.  The more I practice with each, the better I get.  Imagine that!  I really like to use mouth calls for the lack of movement, but box calls seem to get more action for me.  So I made my own.  It is poplar, red oak, cedar.  Sounds real good.  Hopefully pass it on someday.
Practice practice practice.
Jesus died for us!  Following him brings us closer to God.  Think about it!

Offline Adam S. Daugherty

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2007, 11:16:00 AM »
When I first started hunting I started with the production calls.  Some of the slates and box calls are pretty good.  But in my opinion you are better off to just go ahead and buy custom made stuff.  You will save a lot of money in the long run. And a custom slate isn't $10 to $30 more than one at wal-mart.  Now box calls and trumpet calls you can spend as much as you want.  But for $100 you can have a dandy friction call and box call.  Now diaphrams are a different story.  I would start of with some wal-mart calls just to learn how to use them.  You can get the technique down with these calls.  The main problem with the production calls is they just don't last.  The latex want make it through a two day hunt.  So after you have learned the technique find you a custom mouth call maker that works for you.  I have tried many and many and I blow diaprams made by a a feller in Georgia Tommy Walton "Tom Teasers" and use a friction call made by another feller in Georgia Alan Sentell "New Moon Game Calls"

Offline UK Bowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2007, 11:44:00 AM »
You going out for Turkeys this year Ron? I am going to give it a try   :archer:

Adam

Offline BigRonHuntAlot

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2007, 12:20:00 PM »
Yep, Adam, sent ya a PM.
>>>-TGMM Family Of The Bow-->