3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: First hunt Excitement!!!  (Read 750 times)

Offline horatio1226

• Trad Bowhunter
First hunt Excitement!!!
« on: July 21, 2008, 09:36:00 PM »
Okay, so some of you know me as the guy who hasn't hunted yet, but has decided to go on his first hunt this fall. I must thank all you Tradgangers for all of your support and help in answering my questions, making sure I have the right gear and offering to put me on the deer. I am starting to get so excited I feel like I'm going to burst. I mojo'd my bow, I am making my first set of hunting arrows complete with copperhead skin cresting and Snuffer broadheads and I've never practiced so much in my life. For someone who has contemplated whether or not I could take the life of an animal, I really feel ready to go out and try to put some meat on my table. I know my 3 sons are looking forward to it. Am I going to feel this excited this time of year every year or does this excitement wear off over time. I can't wait for the quiet of the woods.The rustling of the leaves. The cool Autumn breeze, and the smell of the decomposing leaves. The stillness of the forest. I am so excited!!!
Brian

:bigsmyl:
"So long as the moon returns to the heavens in a bent, beautiful arc, so long will the fascination with archery in man lasts."

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: First hunt Excitement!!!
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2008, 09:44:00 PM »
I'll be the one to tell You... Your in big Trouble... I have been hunting for over 20 years & I still get that way on opening Day.

Offline adkmountainken

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2008, 09:52:00 PM »
brother just wait untill the first chilly morning in Sept, your blood will be pumping and your heart will beat like a piston!!
I go by many names but Daddy is my favorite!
listen to everyone,FOLLOW NO ONE!!
if your lucky enough to spend time in the mountains...then your lucky enough!
What ever befalls the Earth befalls the sons of the Earth.

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2008, 09:52:00 PM »
BTW, will you be hunting with someone in your area to help? If not here is some tips that might help.

Get Your kids to help You.. mix up some red food dye & water, put it in a spray bottle. Get one or all 3 of your sons to make a trail by spraying the ground here & there, drag their feet like they have a bad charley horse. Tracking

Also look on the net for "How- to - skin game" & " how to butcher game". They will help when it's work time.

Just a reminder: Always tell someone where You will be hunting & when You will be back.

Offline JEFF B

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2008, 10:05:00 PM »
and most of all be safe but have fun even if ya dont get anything its just good being out there.
'' sometimes i wake up Grumpy;
other times i let her sleep"

TGMM FAMILY OF THE BOW

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2008, 11:05:00 PM »
Have to disagree about one thing, ya should worry about getting something. You are out there to kill something, if not bring a camera. I love to hunt and enjoy nature but my main goal is to bring home something for the pot!!` Brian I will put ya on deer my friend!! Shawn
Shawn

Offline Sarah

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2008, 11:22:00 PM »
Brian, having much the same experience here.
 :)

Offline longbowben

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2008, 11:52:00 PM »
Good luck.You hunt to kill.  :archer:
54" Hoots 57@28
60" MOAB 60@28
Gold tip, 160gr Snuffer
TGMM Family of the Bow
USAF 90-96 69TH Bomb Squadron

Offline Wednesday Caste

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2008, 12:08:00 AM »
Brian,
I'm a trad newbie and freshman hunter too this year.  Season in NV opens August 1.  Been PM-ing with a local TGer and he's helped out a lot with general prep and hunt unit.  I got a pretty tough unit (dry high-desert) this year and his assistance is invaluable.  Count your blessings that you have so much game in NY.  I wished I would have taken this up years ago when I was growing up in PA.  Good hunting!
Quinn
Thy word [is] a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path. Psalms 119:105
Gracious God; wonderful wife; 2 beautiful kids; bamboo fly rods; recurve bows; and a 57 Chevy. Life is a blessing.
Bear Kodiak Hunter 58" 46#; Ben Pearson Colt 62" 45#

Offline Arwin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2008, 12:51:00 AM »
I love it when my heart is ready to jump out my throat, tunnel vision just before the shot, a shakey arrow on the rest that magicaly steadies during the shot, the ringing in my ears, the shortness of breath, knowing you made a good shot, blood trailing, the patch of white laying on it's side just ahead, the soreness in my muscles from dragging one out, the feast, the memories. This is barely the tip of the iceberg.  :bigsmyl:
Just one more step please!

Some dude with a stick and string chasing things.

Online woodchucker

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2008, 06:34:00 AM »
Brian,

I may bring you up a "present" this weekend if I can get free.....   :pray:

(I'll keep ya posted)
I only shoot WOOD arrows... My kid makes them, fast as I can break them!

There is a fine line between Hunting, & Sitting there looking Stupid...

May The Great Spirit Guide Your Arrows..... Happy Hunting!!!

Offline Bonebuster

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2008, 07:17:00 AM »
Does the excitement wear off? If you are doing it right, it NEVER wears off. In fact, if you are doing it right you will find that it "recharges your batteries", and you will feel the need to hunt actually becomes necessary for your piece of mind and spiritual well being.

I have read many times that it is no longer necessary for modern man to hunt, but I must say
that with the way many things are now, hunting
most certainly IS necessary. It is a part of each and every human being alive. We have few instincts left.

"The rustling of the leaves, the cool Autumn breeze, the aroma of the woods, and that peaceful,
soul pleasing stillness of the forest". A person can enjoy all of those things without hunting, but when you are there as a HUNTER, a feeling of completion will come over you. A heightened feeling of peace
and respect for EVERYTHING that you may have never known will fit into a part of your being
and you will know your place, and feel your connection with EVERYTHING. When you are a hunter, the sixth sense that game animals have comes into play. They can FEEL your gaze when you are a hunter, because when you are a hunter, you are DIFFERENT.

I agree with Shawn Leonard. In addition to all the reasons we hunt, we are there to KILL.
It is not bad, or wrong, and no apologies are necessary. Your heart will celebrate, because you will have proven to yourself that you are not
afraid to admit that for you to exist, something must die. You are brave enough to accept the reality. It is then that true respect for all life comes crashing into your heart.

You think you are excited now?... you just wait until a deer is coming your way, closing the distance, and you can see the shine of its eyes, and the morning dew in its whiskers. And when it suddenly stops and stares into YOUR eyes, even though you didn`t move, thats when you will KNOW you are indeed a HUNTER.

I am excited for you. TO THE HUNT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline horatio1226

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2008, 08:02:00 AM »
Very well said and I thank you!
Brian
"So long as the moon returns to the heavens in a bent, beautiful arc, so long will the fascination with archery in man lasts."

Offline Bow50

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2008, 12:19:00 PM »
I started out shooting my trad bows at 39 years old because it reminded me of being a kid. I bought a bow and attended 3D shoots, practiced in the backyard and stump shooting alot. Then I met some great friends that were bowhunters (thanks Carl,Clint,Ron,Scott). They turned me on to the idea of the ultimate archery contest: Hunting (Deer). I started out as an archer for the fun of seeing the arrow fly, progressed to a bowhunter and sfter 3 years of hunting, I am hoping I learned enough and will be blessed with a deer.
Hunting to me is the most peaceful yet exciting thing in the world. I wish you all luck this year. At 43 years old, I hope I can hunt for 20 more years, I have alot of time to make up for. LOL,

Offline Schafer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2008, 02:00:00 PM »
Wait till you see a deer!
“There’s more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun.” - Fred Bear

53@29 Randy Morin Banshee
66@29 Schafer Silvertip

Offline leatherneck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2008, 02:08:00 PM »
When the excitement goes away, so does my bow.
Good luck!
“I can accept failure, everyone fails at something. But I can’t accept not trying"

Proud shareholder of MK,LLC

Offline joe ashton

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2008, 02:59:00 PM »
This will be my 18 th season.  It starts in 5 weeks four days and 17 hours. Last night at 4:20 am in a dream I saw a deer.  It took a couple hours to get  back to sleep.  Bow hunting is way too fun.  Good luck and be sure to post your success pics.
Joe Ashton,D.C.
 pronghorn long bow  54#
 black widow long bow 55#
 21 century long bow 55#
 big horn recurve  58#

Online Tom

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: July 22, 2008, 03:43:00 PM »
Bonebuster said it all! Well put.
The essence of the hunt for me is to enter nature and observe+ return safely occasionally with the gift of a life taken.

Offline BRONZ

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: July 22, 2008, 04:08:00 PM »
Bonebuster said it well-- there is a feeling of respect when taking the life of an arrowed animal, that no one can completely describe in words, nor can anyone who hasn't experienced it fully understand.  

I was reading an article of a man who took a bighorn with a recurve; and, after the shot he repeated to himself, "I don't hunt to kill, I kill to have hunted".  IMO, nothing descibes myself as a bowhunter more accurately.

Good luck this fall!
"He trains my hands for battle; my arms can bend a bow of bronze."
2 Samuel 22:35

Wheatland Christian Bowhunters--Chairman

Offline Pullonmylimb

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: July 22, 2008, 07:13:00 PM »
Never goes away.  Not with a bow.  Remember it's all in how close you can get not how far you can get em from.  

Start off easy.  You can always up the challenge.
Turn a friend on to trad.  It's the gift that keeps on giving >>------> @

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©