3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Hunting in Ghillies  (Read 927 times)

Offline Dave Bowers

• Trad Bowhunter
Hunting in Ghillies
« on: July 22, 2008, 09:03:00 AM »
I was wondering if anyone here wears a ghillie suit for hunting? And if so could you give me your opinions on it. I've worn them before while in the Corps and that style wasn't too comfortable. But I had saw several model geared toward the bowhunter and have been considering getting one.

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Hunting in Ghillies
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2008, 09:19:00 AM »
Being in the corp you should be able to make your own... just remember less is best... You will also have to cut smaller pieces where the bow string passes. I'm going to sew some wool cutting to an old shirt to ghillie it up some.

Online Jack Denbow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2008, 09:29:00 AM »
Last year I hunted some wearing a Shaggie Longcoat. I liked it a lot and plan to use it more this year as these old bones don't like climbing trees as much as they used to. Here is a deer's eye view of one of my set-ups.

PBS Associate member
TGMM Family of the Bow
Life is good in the mountains

Offline Bill Carlsen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2008, 09:30:00 AM »
I got one from Cabelas and after trimming to clear the bow string it works great.
The best things in life....aren't things!

Offline Eric Krewson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2008, 09:30:00 AM »
I have a Rancho Safari suit. I hunted in it some last year and during this years turkey season. One doe caught me moving, turkeys didn't notice me at all.

I have the light weight version and it is still too hot to hunt in if the temp is over 60 degrees.

Offline Dave Bowers

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2008, 09:39:00 AM »
Ok so some trimming will be in order? That was one of concerns.

mysticguido, yeah I have made them before, but I just dont have the time it takes to build one.Thats why I am considering buying one. I need all the edge I can mustersince I'll be on public land this year....lol

Thanks for the replies.

Offline Talondale

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2008, 09:43:00 AM »
I have the Rancho Safari short coat and found that to be enough, and much cheaper.  Yes, definitely trim the arm.  I thought I had done enough but missed a turkey this spring when my string caught a strand.  Also take in consideration wind.  Those strands that are out of the way on a calm day may be reaching into your string when the wind is up.

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2008, 10:06:00 AM »
I had a Rancho Safari that I had used a little last year.  Was planning to use it much more this year, but someone broke into my cabin and stole it and lots of other stuff about a month ago.

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2008, 10:17:00 AM »
be careful on state land here in jersey.... if the bears don't get you thinking your there new mate, the non-trad hunters will....

Offline rbbhunt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2008, 10:39:00 AM »
Check with  www.arkansasquartermaster.com,  they have a light weight one that you can get in woodland and desert camo.  I have one of each, one for early season and one for late season hunts.  A little trimming and they work great.  They are a little cooler as the base is a mesh and no other liner.  One hint though, get suspenders for the pants.
RBBHUNT
"Those who will trade liberty for
security, deserve niether" B. Franklin (a long time ago and still valid)

Offline OkKeith

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2008, 10:59:00 AM »
Hey Dave,

I have one of the Rancho Safari ghillies (bought it used for $100). It is the pants, top and boonie hat type of set. It is made up of strips of non-cotton (or cotton blend, definitly not 100% cotton) camo cloth. I am pretty tall so the jacket is not as long as I like, but it works just fine.

The non-cotton cloth doesn't soak up in the rain too bad. As far as effectivness, I think it is hard to beat. Even compared to a blind.

I have several spots in the woods where I hunt, that I already have a few dead branches stacked around to sit in. Not a full brush-blind by any means, just a good spot with some front cover and a backdrop. I have done well with this set up.

Here is a picture of my suit in action. This is actually my niece. We were taking turns wearing it and doing a little hide and seek.

We have one really large field (80 acres) with several little wetlands in it where we hog hunt and shoot a few ducks. The grass is anywhere from knee high to over head high and the outfit works well there too.

I have a buddy who bought one of the cheapy string material type of ghillies, and he wasn't to happy with it (I think it is made more for wanna-be paintballers). It was sparsely made and the jute string is heavy dry, and unmanageable wet.

Guess what all the rambleing adds up to is, they work VERY well for me. I managed to luck into a very high quality set for a good price. After having used one for 3 or 4 years now, would I buy one for full price? Knowing what I know now, you bet!

I think the Rancho ones are the best quality, and (I think) they actually make the Cabela's brand. Another buddie bought the 3/4 jacket so he wouldn't have to mess with pants and has really liked it.

Hope this is type of info you wanted.
OkKeith
In a moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing. The worst thing you can do is nothing.
Theodore Roosevelt

Offline Dave Bowers

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2008, 01:21:00 PM »
Thanks for the info all, I think I am gonna go with a shaggy from rancho safari? But I am not totally positive.

Offline Kevin L.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2008, 01:42:00 PM »
Up here, Maine Military Supply has two models. I finally wore out my old one that I made at Benning, so I'll probably make another for this year. I just hate the thought of "breaking it in". I'm not as young as I was the last time, LOL.

Forgot the link:  https://www.mainemilitary.com/productcart/pc/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=38&idproduct=98

They're good folks to deal with and have a LOT of stuff.
Appalachian LB 66"57@26
Appalachian LB 68" 60@28
Appalachian Flatbow 64" 56@28
Appalachian Archery RC 58"62@28
Bighorn LB 68" 57@28
HH Wesley LB 66" 53@27
HH Cheetah LB 66" 52@26
Saxon American RC 58" 60@28

Offline B4NZ41

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2008, 01:47:00 PM »
I wear a 3D camo leafy suit thing. I like it because  it's quiet, by itself it's lighter weight than a pair of jeans (so it's nice for warm weather), I can wear a bunch of warm stuff underneath it, and it costs about as much as any other set of decent camo  pants and jacket.

Plus it looks cool.  :D

Offline sendero25

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2008, 02:07:00 PM »
Dave, I have a 2 piece Synthetic Ghillie,
It looks similar to the one in Cabelas, it is made of string instead of burlap strips.
It is a great suit so far, no see-um screen material against the skin with netting sewed to that. Totally bug proof.
The strings are tied to the net.
The biggest drawback is it HANGS ON EVERYTHING!
Not a great stalking suit if you have thorns or vines.
Check out Miles Tactical online, my suit costs $139.00, they have other models including a bow hunter that has no string material on the bow arm and across the chest.
Hope this helps,
John
"I'm not very smart but I can lift heavy things"

"I'm not as smart as I look"

quotes by my good friend Clay Miller from Valentine, TX

Offline sendero25

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2008, 02:12:00 PM »
Dave,
Miles Tactical web site is  www.theghilliesuits.com
John
"I'm not very smart but I can lift heavy things"

"I'm not as smart as I look"

quotes by my good friend Clay Miller from Valentine, TX

Online mjh

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2008, 08:34:00 PM »
I bought a Bushrag kit.  Go to Bushrag.com  Light weight synthetic material mix and match to blend to your location. Kit was eay to put together and of resonable cost. Have used it two seasons now and when ground hunting its my go to set up. Used to use a blind alot but use th Ghillie now.

Offline Tbilisi

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: July 22, 2008, 09:50:00 PM »
Just curious.  How many have been close to deer and actually shot deer while wearing a gillie?
Life is short.  Shoot the good arrows first.

Offline fireman_3311

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: July 22, 2008, 09:53:00 PM »
I've killed 2 deer, while wearing my Rancho Safari ghillie...one at 17 yds, and the other at 10! Plan on killin more this fall with it!!!
Official Measurer for Boone and Crockett, Pope and Young, Compton's, Longhunters, and both Mo books.  Have tape, will travel!!!

Online ozy clint

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: July 23, 2008, 01:54:00 AM »
hey jack denbow, thats you on the left isn't it? LOL
Thick fog slowly lifts
Jagged peaks and hairy beast
Food for soul and body.

Border black douglas recurve 70# and 58# HEX6 BB2 limbs

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©