3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Hunting in Ghillies  (Read 928 times)

Offline T Folts

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Hunting in Ghillies
« Reply #20 on: July 23, 2008, 08:40:00 AM »
I killed a buck last year from the ground at 15 yards, he never knew I was there, good wind and good background both are needed. Good luck, you wont be sorry.

T
US ARMY 1984-1988

Offline Dave Bowers

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: July 23, 2008, 09:25:00 AM »
Thanks again guys..

Now I am stuck I came up with an idea of making one from the kits they sell, but like I said earlier I don't think I have the time....dang decisions decisions.

For you fellas that use'em do you let the suit weather (keep it outside and dirty it up) before using?

Offline fireman_3311

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: July 23, 2008, 01:39:00 PM »
If you don't have time to make one, ya cain't go wrong with the Shaggy Longcoat, from Rancho Safari.  I hang mine out to air out a couple days ahead of my hunt, but don't dirty it up...just hunt the wind, you'll love it!!!
Official Measurer for Boone and Crockett, Pope and Young, Compton's, Longhunters, and both Mo books.  Have tape, will travel!!!

Offline Recurve50 LBS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: July 23, 2008, 01:51:00 PM »
I have and use the one from Cabelas. It is made of mesh with strands of material so it's not too hot during the early season. I have tha jacket with hood and the pants.

Remember to wear a face mask or if you wear glasses use some camo face paint or burnt cork on your face. Remember to wear gloves or camo your hands with burnt cork or face camo paint.

Move slowly and remember to use the wind in your favor.

I've had turkeys inside of 5 yards from me that knew nothing of my sitting there.
Larry W.

Member TANJ

NRA Life Member

56" 45#@28" Thunder Stick Mag
62" 45#@28" Turkey Creek Longbow
1966 42#@28" Bear Grizley

Offline RC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: July 23, 2008, 03:50:00 PM »
fellas, Ive killed critters from the ground mainly hogs and a few of deer but if this thing works on turkeys like you`ve said I gotta get one. That blind I have works but is not very mobile and is more aggrevating than tote`n a tree stand.RC

Offline texas terror

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: July 23, 2008, 03:54:00 PM »
i was thinkning about doing a guille build along. if ne one wanted to make their own. it may take a few days to get my jute in but its do able

Offline OkKeith

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: July 23, 2008, 11:09:00 PM »
Dave,

I keep mine in a waterproof dry-bag (like you would use canoeing or rafting) and stuff in some dried leaves and red cedar branches. I also use the little scent wafers with the dirt smell. When I am not wearing it I just stuff it in and seal-up the bag. This keeps it free of bad scents (DON"T put one in wet, let it hang and dry in a tree. They can get really funky!) Once or twice a year I dissolve some baking powder in a washtub and let it soak a while. Dump the tub, refill with fresh water and rinse it out. I let it hang dry in a cedar tree out back then put it back in the sack. I have shot several deer, turkeys and some hogs with mine.

RC,

They work very well on turkeys! When I first started using mine I was letting the birds get TOO close and couldn't draw without spooking them. Even then, they would skitter out a little and turn around to try and figure out what I was. Now, they get within 20 yards, I whack'em. The trick to it is, don't allow your arms to come too far away from your body. This minimizes any "daylight" to highlight your movement.

In the early season when the leaves are still thick on the trees, I will even use the jacket and boonie hat in the treestand.

Recurve 50lbs is right on though, ya gotta have face and hand cover though. A round shiney face sticks out like a flashlight beam. Unless you want to really use a lot of face paint (ears, back of the neck, under the chin, etc.) I would recomend a pull over your head type of face mask. I use one of the tight spandex type so nothing dangles in my face.

OkKeith
In a moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing. The worst thing you can do is nothing.
Theodore Roosevelt

Offline aYak

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: July 24, 2008, 04:51:00 AM »
I try to have my wife trim mine in the areas which might snag the string...when she's in a good mood, of course   :D
TGMM Family of the Bow

Online Barry Wensel

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: July 24, 2008, 07:43:00 AM »
I had Rancho Safari make me up one of the 3/4 length coats because I'm not tall and usually sit on a stool when hunting with it.Works great. I had them make me up the lightweight undercoat with a combo of string and burlap and the lighter weight Mossy Oak Shadow Grass pattern material. Some of the other materials appear too dark for me whereas the Shadow Grass is perfect. OkKeith above pretty much has it nailed. Cut away the longer materials from anywhere your bowstring might touch. I tend to sit on a little stool and prefer to keep low, get into a tree-well, make sure you have a good wind obviously and always have good background for no backlighting. I also wear a Spandoflage face mask. And frankly the hat is probably the most important part of the suit to eliminate the head on the shoulders human shape. I've killed several deer, hogs and a coyote with mine. Very effective and fun. BW

Online Barry Wensel

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: July 24, 2008, 07:54:00 AM »
I meant to mention, in our original 2 hour version of the Primal Dreams DVD there's a segment of me wearing mine. I'm standing in some brush against a tree. I've had many people comment on how they were blown away with the effectiveness of the camo. It's impressive because about all you see is my bow moving. When considering most game doesn't see color the same as humans, it will give you an idea how effective it can be in the timber if you're conscience of your movement and the wind. bw

Offline Legolas

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: July 24, 2008, 08:41:00 AM »
Sold my Rancho, I still got made by smart old mama deers and it got hung up on stuff ripping the cloth off the suit, all the dang time.

I have had turkeys nearly walk over my feet with a combo of digital woodland and predator so I see no need to wear the likes of the ghille.

Paul
Things seem to turn out best for people who make the best of the way things turn out-Art Linkletter

Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you are probably right-Henry Ford

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: July 24, 2008, 08:50:00 AM »
Originally posted by Barry Wensel:
 Very effective and fun. BW
Yep and Yep!
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: July 24, 2008, 09:18:00 AM »
Originally posted by Barry Wensel:
I meant to mention, in our original 2 hour version of the Primal Dreams DVD there's a segment of me wearing mine. I'm standing in some brush against a tree.
That was You Berry? wow You looked like a big bush...LOL... How You been I hope all is well

Offline IB

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: July 24, 2008, 05:47:00 PM »
Out in the open NO COVER, septin a SHREW

Online Barry Wensel

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: July 24, 2008, 05:59:00 PM »
Guido: Yep.. that was a Berry Bush. Ripe and ready for the pickin'. bw

Offline John3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: July 24, 2008, 06:05:00 PM »
I own the Rancho Safari "longcoat" ghillie. I killed my first book deer from the ground wearing this ghillie.

It is heavy and way too hot for early season. I usually do not put it on until I get to my ground stand site.
I've had deer within three feet of me on the ground.  They work!!!

John III
"There is no excellence in Archery without great labor".  Maurice Thompson 1879

Professional Bowhunters Society--Regular Member
United Bowhunters of Missouri
Compton Life Member #333

Offline Shaun

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: July 24, 2008, 06:46:00 PM »
Rancho jacket, hat and face mask. I think all three pieces are needed to be camo'd. The instructions say you can "trim" the bow arm or do like the guy who makes them and hack every piece of hanging stuff from the inside of your bow arm sleeve. I tried trimming - still sometimes caught the string. Did the complete hack removal and it worked great with no loss of camo effect. Like BW said, the hat is the main piece, wear it even though it cuts your peripheral vision.

Offline Dave Bowers

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: July 24, 2008, 09:19:00 PM »
Awesome fellas..I really appreciate all the info

Offline RC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: July 24, 2008, 11:17:00 PM »
I`m sold. I`m gonna start shopping for one.RC

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: July 25, 2008, 10:13:00 AM »
Thanks for the memories Vance.....

I remember last year trying to slip into those mulies before the storm, and that antelope buck walked right up to me even though I was STILL slipping!  Too bad I didn't have a lope tag.

Robert....get the light weight version if you can.  Much lighter and cooler.
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©