3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Not to excited about Poplar so far.  (Read 1728 times)

Offline DarkeGreen

• Trad Bowhunter
Not to excited about Poplar so far.
« on: February 21, 2007, 09:13:00 PM »
I ordered a dozen Poplar shafts Monday morning and they were waiting on me when I got home from work today. I took them out of the box and noticed they were going to need a bunch of work. So far two broke trying to straighten them. One has a nice nick in it that I'm sure will cause the shaft to fail because it looks to be a splinter headed to the center of the shaft. one has a 5 inch long dark black line down the center that appears to be trash wood exposed. I'll be doing do to get a half dozen shooters out of the bunch. At this rate the poplar arrows are going to cost me more than a good set of carbon arrows! I think I'll start buying 3/8" dowels and using them.

Offline indianalongbowshooter

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Not to excited about Poplar so far.
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2007, 09:21:00 PM »
Never had any trouble w/poplar, have made a bunch of arrows from them, easy to straighten and stay straight once finished. Ive got a couple arrows that Ive shot for 3 yrs. at a little of everything and they are still very straight. Maybe you just got a bad doz. call the vendor and see if he`ll replace them if they are that bad.
dean/indianalongbowshooter

Offline SlowBowinMO

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2007, 09:29:00 PM »
When it comes to wood shafts, the source can be everything.  That really sounds more like bad shafts than anything to do with Poplar IMO.
"Down-Log Blind at Misty River"

Offline madness522

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2007, 11:06:00 PM »
Where did you get the shafts?  Do tell.
Barry Clodfelter
TGMM Family of the Bow.

Offline Grey Taylor

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2007, 03:28:00 AM »
I totally agree with Slow.  You can get good wood or crap wood in any material.  It all comes down to the supplier and how they sort their shafts before sending them out.

Guy
Tie two birds together; though they have four wings, they can not fly.
The Blind Master

Offline Art B

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2007, 07:12:00 AM »
Those come from Three Rivers? Went through the same thing with a friend's set of poplars this past week-end. Broke two and had a devil of a time straightening them using a lot of heat. Well, at least they were plenty seasoned! Lots of tool marks also. Another friend had the same experience the week before that. Both sets came from Three Rivers. Not knocking Three Rivers here, they provide great service, but they should be notified of the quality of these shafts. Biggest problem I see with their poplar shafts is the dowelling process their supplier used. Shafts need a good sanding to remove the tool marks. Order a spine range over and you can do this yourself.

You really can't beat a good poplar arrow. Pretty much all that I use these days as far as dowelled shafts go. Here's some hand-planed poplar arrows I made for my brother last year. -ART B

Offline DarkeGreen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2007, 07:43:00 AM »
It is good to know poplar itself isn't to blame. It appears to have some very good qualities. I was able to get a few to straighten with a friction rub using a piece of leather. If that didn't work I was going to try heating them up with a heat source.

If I have to purchase over spined shafts I may as well just buy 100 3/8 poplar dowels for the same price. I was just trying to save a little work and get something already spined and sized correctly. The funny thing about this is they are sold as higher quality shaft and are "matched". I bought some dowels local last week to make traditional arrows with and had them made up and tested in less time than it took me to get these shafts to a point they would roll on the table. Out of 12 shafts 9 where bent so bad the where a goo 1/2" off the table in the middle or one end. The wood was so dry I'm sure that is why I broke the first two. I thought about soaking them in water and then rolling them. It looks like most of the benns are right at grain runout points which is scary.

I won't return them because this is a learning experiance for me. I've always used cedar in the past and it is just so easy to work with. I won't complain about the vendor until I have more information to draw from. If I order a 100 dowels and don't have these problems then I may bitch up a storm.  :)

I really wanted to share this just to get a feal for whether or not this is normal for this type of wood shaft. Heck I've managed to get 12 shooters every time I've ordered cedars from this vendor. The last batch was a little "iffy" but they all made arrows.

Offline wingnut

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2007, 08:01:00 AM »
I have both turned my own and bought poplar shafts from Troy Breeding.  Both sets were wonderful arrows that flew great.  I am trying sitka spruce right now from Raptor archery.  They were by far the best shaft for straightness, spine and weight matching I have ever purchased.  They are not as tough as poplar but are tougher then POC.

Mike
Mike Westvang

Offline DarkeGreen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2007, 08:05:00 AM »
Thanks, I'll keep that in mind for my next purchase.

Offline DarkeGreen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2007, 08:11:00 AM »
Art,

After seeing your arrows I think I am going to for go the stainnig procees. I really like the looks of the natural wood with the clear coat over it. Now all I have to do is decide what to do on the fletching end. I have white barred, yellow barred, and red barred. Maybe I'll make them all different this go around. That will help me keep track of which ones fly like I want them to.

Offline Art B

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2007, 09:34:00 AM »
Darkegreen

Buying dowells is one way to go, but not the only. For a truly matched set I reckon you would have to start from scratch and dowell them out yourself. I enjoy hand-planing so I just stick with that method. Since I only shoot selfbows I needed one arrow wood that would match well in most of my bows. Poplar is the one wood that fits the bill for me.

I don't do much staining on my arrows anymore. Stained shafts are harder to find when you lose them and very hard to see to aim in the woods or at low light. The ol' eyes aren't what they use to be.

If you noticed, I use a color thread wrap on the front of my fletching for ID purposes. I can easily pick out the crooked ones when one of my buddies needs "that" extra arrow when their quivers are emptied. LOL.-ART B

Offline DarkeGreen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2007, 11:10:00 AM »
I noticed the colored thread right off and thought what a great idea. I have numbered arrows I made in the past and used traditional icons but they are only as nice looking as the person with the pen. I'm much better at wrapping than I am at drawing.  :)

Offline SCATTERSHOT

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2007, 11:14:00 AM »
I wondered about the different color, Art. All I can say is that you are an evil person. LOL!

Seems like buying shafts is a crapshoot any more. As noted above, you might as well buy 100 birch dowels (the 5/16 are about $25.00)Even if you can't use half of them, you're still money ahead.
"Experience is a series of non - fatal mistakes."

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2007, 02:54:00 PM »
I will second Wingnut's choice of Doug Fir from Raptor Archery. I got 2 dozen a few weeks ago, tapered, spine and grain matched. All were very straight, within about a 5 grain spread and spined just over 75#.
24 shafts made 24 great arrows! It isn't what it is that counts guys, it is where you buy it!

Offline DarkeGreen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2007, 03:10:00 PM »
...talk about salt in the wound, their prices are way cheaper too!  :knothead:

Offline ozarkcherrybow1

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2007, 10:36:00 PM »
I bought a batch of poplars from Troy Breeding's sale last year and making a set from them as I write. Yet to shoot any yet but straightening them was as easy as cedar for me, with a roller type compression tool. No heat needed. Can't wait to try them out. ...Terry

Offline Orso

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2007, 01:32:00 AM »
I've got 4 dozen poplar from Troy Breeding and I'm very pleased with them.  Troy has always done a fine job for me.
Mike

Offline varmint

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2007, 07:30:00 AM »
What's the weight of Poplar compared to Birch??
Bowhunting......A way of life and death.

Offline Art B

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2007, 08:21:00 AM »
Poplar is similar in weight to the POC. Birch would be a little heavier. What few birch dowells I've played with had nice hunting weight though. Never weighed them but I'm guessing around 580-600 gr finished 28" arrow.-ART B

Offline Orso

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2007, 08:42:00 AM »
29.5" from back of point, with nock on and feathers, but no BH installed...420-430grains overall weight.

So when I add my 160grn ACE BH's, I'm at 580-590grns.
Mike

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©