3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: DIY Colorado Elk  (Read 1309 times)

Offline John Krause

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: DIY Colorado Elk
« Reply #20 on: July 23, 2008, 10:10:00 PM »
Thanks for the positives from the older guys. Been doing this for a while. I know there are no guarantees and I don't need to kill for a great time. Hope I'm wise enough to do it right but know I can't go 110 mph.

Went to Alaska two years ago in a drop camp and did OK but have never been in the mountains. Could loose 20 lbs but otherwise feel pretty good.
When a man shoots with a bow it is own vigor of body that drives the arrow,  his own mind controls the missile's flight......His trained muscles and toughened thews have done the work

Offline kctreeman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: July 23, 2008, 10:19:00 PM »
John, we did several dyi elk hunts west of Denver on I70 south of Rifle and Silt, CO.  Go to Silt then south along east divide creek to some pretty good land.  there are 4x4 roads but usually you can get off the beaten path and away from most folks.  we've killed a few elk there and seen quite a few over the years.  We did alot of still hunting in the oak brush and cow called to cover our noise.  Seen some nice black bear in the area.  Tim's Tools( I think) sets on the highway (i70) at silt and is a good source of information supplies and tags.Email me if you need more information.

Offline Gary Logsdon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: July 23, 2008, 10:41:00 PM »
About the Bull Pac Jim.  I have a new one but have been putting it through the grind for a month packing 90 pounds of "practice weight" 4 miles every other day.  I bought the extension which gives me additional lashing points so you can fit a ton of stuff on it.  It's definitely doing the job.  THICK shoulder pads and good overall adjustability.  The key is placing the pack where it rides over your hips and loading it where the heavier weights are positioned where your skelatal structure carries most of the load.  I loosen the shoulder straps more than most guys might which splits the load about 20% on shoulders and 80% on hips.  I can walk fast and pain-free with that method.  That also helps with ventilation and keeping your back dry. The Bull Pac is fro packing in camp and meat hauling.  I will use a Bison Gear Elk pack for daily excursions.
Gary Logsdon

Offline beyondmyken

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: July 23, 2008, 11:35:00 PM »
Some other thoughts, if it is just you and your buddy and if one of you scores early, then most likely the other person's hunt will be over.  Depending how far away from the road you are, you can expect a couple of days to get the elk back and then if temps are high, getting to a processor.  I cannot emphasize enough the importance of getting into shape. Find the steepest terrain you can and hike up and down it with a pack on-works the legs and back differently than running.

Offline Gary Logsdon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: July 23, 2008, 11:55:00 PM »
That's right.  Running can pound the body unnecessarily.  Hiking with a weighted pack up AND DOWN grades of various degrees is more representative of the hunt.  You can't fully prepare for the elevation but you can make strides in prepping the body in other ways. Go slow in your training at first but make sure you also challenge yourself once you feel confident that you won't injure yourself.  Going DOWN is hard on the knees and something that requires special attention.  When I take my heavy pack off after a long hike I feel like I have helium in my veins . . . makes a day pack feels like a feather!
Gary Logsdon

Offline kctreeman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: July 24, 2008, 07:26:00 AM »
The elk in my avitarar was killed five miles from our truck.  It took three guys two trips with loaded packs almost 12 hours of continuious walking to get the meat and horns back to the truck.  It was pretty leval ground also.  You just can't appreciate how much meat and bone weighs until you get one on the ground.  My first clue was when the caped head and horns were attached to my pack frame.  When my buddies said let's roll, I couldn't even get to my feet without assistance. Hardest thing that I ever did in pursuit of fun. Loved every bit of it. Good luck on your hunt.

Offline leatherneck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: July 24, 2008, 07:36:00 AM »
FYI-When I was in the Corp, we used to train pretty hard prior to going on mountain warfare training. One of the things we did was took our filters out of our gas masks and hiked with those on. It helped get our lungs accustomed to the low oxygen found in higher altitudes. Still got the headaches for a day or two though. I guess every little bit helps.

Mike
“I can accept failure, everyone fails at something. But I can’t accept not trying"

Proud shareholder of MK,LLC

Offline JDice

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: July 24, 2008, 08:28:00 AM »
First, I want to thank John Krause for starting this thread. Next, I want to thank everyone who has participated in the thread. Simply put, threads like this one are exactly why I joined Trad Gang.

In thinking about the various points made on this thread - I have become focused on two situations - the worst case and the best case. My thinking is that if the planning for the hunt can handle those two cases - anything in between can also be handled.

Assuming a two person team:

The worst case I can think of is that one or more of the team is seriously injured or lost.

The best case I can think of is that both members of the team get a world class bull - and both bulls are going to be mounted.

As I don't have (currently) someone to hunt elk with - those two cases are why I am thinking of a guided hunt. With that said, IMHO the comments about carrying a Sat phone and setting up a packer prior to going into the mountains do begin to address both cases.

One of the questions raised was "what is in your pack"? The following list is one provided, on an outfitter's site, FOR A GUIDED HUNT - obviously on a DIY hunt - we would be taking more than this list. By the way - I have removed the items needed to support "wheeled bows"

Bow and accessories
Extra string
String wax
Spare release or finger tab
Arrows
Hard arrow case
Camo, face paint or head net
Gloves
Rain gear
Long underwear
Well broken in boots
Several pairs of socks
Comfortable camp shoes
Sleeping bag rated to 0 degrees
Towel, wash cloth, no scent soap
 Day pack and or fanny pack
Items that should be carried in pack
Emergency space blanket
Personal first aid kit
Water proof matches
Fire starter
Flashlight
Trail Snacks
Knife
Compass or GPS (I would say both)
Canteen (I would say water bladder)
Water purification gear
Sunscreen, lip balm, moleskin
Bugle and cow calls
Game Bags
Binoculars
Camera and plenty of film
Scents and cover ups
Topo Maps

Offline JDice

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: July 28, 2008, 08:20:00 AM »
Following up on the idea of satellite phone rentals and hiring a packer.

Sat phone rental is easy to do - rentals (for an Iridium) range from $60 to $80 a week - plus airtime - which can be by the minute ($1.75) or bundled ($48 for 30 minutes). You can also get insurance on the phone - but not for loss or theft.

Hiring a packer is proving more difficult to research (via the web) - most of what I have seen is available via an full service outfitter making their packers available. As I am just researching the idea and the season is coming up - I haven't tried to get specifics as I don't want to waste their time. I have also seen some people offering to rent pack animals (including llamas) - obviously that means you would need the skills to handle the pack string.

Offline John Krause

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: July 28, 2008, 09:14:00 AM »
I was talking to a fella from Colorado who thought it could be done.  I think I wold call the Chamber of commerce of the nearest town or put an ad in the paper or something similiar.
When a man shoots with a bow it is own vigor of body that drives the arrow,  his own mind controls the missile's flight......His trained muscles and toughened thews have done the work

Offline Missouri Sherpa

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: July 28, 2008, 12:57:00 PM »
I have hunted unit 65 three times in the past 15 years, twice for elk and once for mule deer.  I have done a drop camp hunt on private land on the west side and have packed into the Uncompaghre wilderness with llamas from the north side. I have sold most of my llamas and hunt with horses now, never been one to carry my camp on my back so I can't be giving any advice there. I intend to go back someday.  I am hunting another OTC unit this year and have points for unit 76 next year, so probably will be going there in 2010 or 2011.   Be warned the mountains are steep and they have removed most of the oxygen up there.  I have been there with 18 inches of snow the first week of September and some very warm days the week of muzzle loader season so you can expect anything.   I know the outfitter for the Big Blue/Uncompaghre Wilderness, that has a ranch on the west side of the unit if you change your mind and want to try a drop camp, or inquire about him packing for you.  If you have some specific questions send me a PM.

Offline JDice

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: July 28, 2008, 03:28:00 PM »
For a hi-tech approach to pack animals do a web search on "bigdog boston dynamics".

Offline rtherber

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: July 28, 2008, 03:54:00 PM »
I'll go along with ChuckC's reply. I make it a way to enjoy two Fall seasons a year. I'm leaving Sunday for CO and will stay until the last weekend of September. The temps here are in the high 90's and I absolutely hate the Summer season. So unless I call my rancher friend and he says the mosquitoes are swarming up in the high country,I'm heading on out. Then I'll make it back here to TN for the archery only season. The mast and persimmons made good here this year so I'm ready to go back to "hunting mode" this season. Last year was a bust-nothing in the woods,drought,EHD-I felt sorry for the deer and didn't really even want to put any more pressure on them. But things are almost back to normal. Good luck on your hunt out West. I'll be down in the San Juans hunting again this year. The closest I've hunted to Unit #66 is the next unit over-Unit #67 in the Powderhorn Primitive area.They made it a draw area the very next year so I barely got acquainted before I had to change units. The memorable thing for me from Unit #67 was the mountain lion that came in behind me one evening. He would walk about 20 steps,then let out one of those growls. I was sitting an elk wallow when he made the half-circle about 70 yds. behind me.Made for a "one eye open" night in my solo bivy camp.

Offline rtherber

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: July 28, 2008, 04:03:00 PM »
I read Missouri Sherpa's post and was thinking of Unit #66,Big Blue wilderness. No, I have a friend and his wife that hunts Unit #65 near the wilderness boundary but I've no knowledge of it personally. He complained about outfitters setting up in a park where he had killed a bull the year prior a couple of years ago. Neither was successful last year either(He's trying to get her an elk). BUT he refuses to change areas. He has a setup where he rents a cabin within reasonable distance of where he hunts is why I think he hangs tough in that unit. Good luck!

Offline Bill Kissner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: July 28, 2008, 09:54:00 PM »
John, I sent you a PM.
Time spent alone in the woods puts you closer to God.

"Can't" never accomplished anything.

Offline Missouri Sherpa

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: July 28, 2008, 10:42:00 PM »
I do not have any new PMs.  My mailbox was full, just did some housekeeping and deleted a bunch of old PMs. Should be able to receive new mail now.

Offline Herdbull

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: July 29, 2008, 08:55:00 AM »
There is a lot of good advice here. Internet web searches can give you a lot of comparisons between the ever-evolving gear. I am working on a book that speaks to the emotional, motivational and self-reliance side of hunting alone in the wilderness. I have hunted alone for two to three weeks every year since 1994. And it seems that during every trip there comes a point where I say to myself, ”I’m not doing this “solo thing” ever again.” But every year I find myself on some new adventure in the west or Alaska. The allure is very powerful. The following are few lines from the book that may help some of you prepare.

“…..I used a pump with an attached filter to remove any infectious bacteria or parasites. My main concern was the Giardia species.  This lovely little organism brought me days of gaseous diarrhea after a previous hunt.  On this prior hunt, I primarily used iodine pills, but sometimes I was so thirsty I didn’t give them enough time to dissolve sufficiently in the ice cold water. I wanted no part of that again, so I was very careful, even down to the detail of how I handled the “dirty” tubing and the clean post filter end. I stored them in separate Ziploc bags….”

“…. The 12,000 foot altitude had a strangle hold on my lungs.  At night, my heart seemed to race, but it really wasn’t. My head pounded and I couldn’t sleep. I wasn’t too alarmed at first, because it is customary for me to have sleepless nights prior to the start of a new hunt, especially on the ground in a mountain range and state I had never been in before. I would expect such anxiety. But wait, this feeling was different; even in my sleeping bag where there were no excessive exertions it seemed at times I couldn’t catch my breath. This went on nearly all night. It was kind of scary. Of course I had heard the stories about altitude sickness, but I had no idea how it would affect me personally. I hoped I would acclimate to this elevation and I drank a lot of fluid throughout the night. In hindsight, I should have considered staying in town for a day or two at 7,000 feet prior to going to the trailhead to acclimate to the altitude.  Also, instead of charging ahead to try to "work" thru my pain/symptoms, I should have taken it easy in my camp for a day in addition to the extra fluids. My previous experiences with the Rocky Mountains were in Montana, but the highest elevation I achieved there was 9,000 feet above sea level. I felt no ill effects from that elevation, and did not know how my body would react.  If you are going over 9,000 feet, do yourself a favor and research Acute Altitude Sickness. Know the symptoms and how to react; it could save your life….”
Mike

Offline Big Sneaky

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: July 29, 2008, 12:35:00 PM »
Mike, that is very good advice and I'm sure your book will be a good read.  Thank you for sharing.

My first elk hunt was a bivy hunt.  We carried 50 lbs packs about 8 miles into a Wilderness area in CO.  I'll just say that this type of hunting is not for the faint of heart.  I was in great shape, close to where I was when I played lots of basketball.  It was a very grueling ordeal especcially for the other two buddies who were'nt in  good shape. (I tried to tell them)  If I was to bivy again, I would go about four to five miles with my gear and set up a camp then hunt from it for a couple of days.  If you need to move, it is very simple to just pick up and go.  

Being that I cowboy for a living, it only seemed right that my next hunt was a DIY hunt with my own horses.  This is a great way to get deep into the backcountry, but it also has its drawbacks.  Such as always needing to take care of your horses and check on them.  I have some nice horses that I didn't feel comfortable leaving overnight without me being there.  On this particular hunt I experienced the same symptons that Mike is describing above.   We were camped at 11,740 ft.  I had been that high many times before but always camped around 8,000 ft.  I pushed too hard the first day and didn't give my body time to acclimate.  I had a severe headache, couldn't catch my breath even laying in my tent, and eventually I went to vomiting.  I also experienced some chest pain.  After about a 24 hr period of this I finally got to feeling a little better but it really set me back on this hunt.  On our way home from this hunt my buddy called his wife who is a nurse and told her how sick I had been.  She said that I probably had a sever case of altitude sickness and that it could have been deadly.  

If you are worried about altitude sickness your doc can prescribe Diamox.  Those who have taken it say it really works.  Next time I am hunting the high country, you can bet that I will be on it.

Hunting the backcountry is one of the most awesome experiences I have ever had.  I wiil keep going back until my body just won't let me.  I guess I'm kind of stubborn that way.  When you hear those bulls buglin', well, it just doesn't get any better.  

Good luck, and hope you have a great hunt.
Always keep the wind in your face, and an arrow nocked.

Offline Gary Logsdon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: July 29, 2008, 03:13:00 PM »
A word of advice to anyone contemplating using Diamox as a preventative measure for AMS, make absolutely sure that you test it well before heading to the mountains.  I just tried a relatively low dose at home (125 mg, twice a day) and it reeked havoc on my body! Blurred vision, tingling in the hands, itching, dry throat, fatigue, foot pain, and less important common symptoms like destroying the taste of certain drinks.  These were not severe alergic reactions (I took 4 tabs over two days) and I do not have a history of problems with the family of drugs.  Yes, I could tolerate it IF need be but, I think I'd rather implement a slow, systematic, acclimatization plan and use the Diamox only if I determine that I have AMS, and even then probably combined with descending.

Here is a great read on the subject:  http://www.ismmed.org/np_altitude_tutorial.htm
Gary Logsdon

Offline Missouri Sherpa

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: July 29, 2008, 04:08:00 PM »
Diamox affected me in much the same way.  Even though I regularly camp between 10-12000 ft for elk hunts I have never had the need to take diamox.  I would have to hunt atlower elevations if I had to depend on taking Diamox to be able to hunt elk.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©