3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Have you ever felt LEFT out??  (Read 640 times)

Offline Paul Mattson

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
Have you ever felt LEFT out??
« on: July 23, 2008, 08:14:00 AM »
When it comes to trying out a Left Hand bow?  Ever been to a show or shoot? and look at all the great looking bows? Then try to find one in left hand, out of 2 doz bows there may be 1 or 2.  Or have you asked this; "Got any lefties"? only to get a smile and a "didn't bring any this time".

Yes, I know there are more right handers out there than left.  Looking for a little feedback here.  

So who else out there shoots left handed?

How do you other Left Handers test out bows?  I did get to test out the Lefty WhisperStik and it was a great shooter.  

One day I will have to get something figured out.

Offline Peter Arthur

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Have you ever felt LEFT out??
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2008, 08:43:00 AM »
Yup.. I know what you mean.
Can't really blame the bowyers though.. I'd probably do the same thing if I were them.
What's funny is all of the LH bows for sale on the trade site here. I hadn't looked at it for ahwile until recently and I was shocked at all the LH bows for sale.

Offline BobW

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2008, 08:51:00 AM »
I'm left handed but right eye dominant, so I was "lucky" to learn to shoot right handed.  My "mis-fortune" is that I draw 32".  I never get to test drive a bow on the table...... My big excitment is to come across another long draw guy, and get to shoot his bow...... I have been limited to bows built for me - hence I only own 3 - though some will say three is a decent collection.  Maybe I can consider myself lucky as impulse buys are nearly impossible.
"A sagittis hungarorum libera nos Domine"
>>---TGMM-Family-of-the-Bow--->
Member: Double-T Archery Club, Amherst, NY
St. Judes - $100k for 2010 - WE DID IT!!!!

Offline DEAN

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2008, 09:09:00 AM »
YOU WOLD THINK THAT IF A WELL KNOWN BOWYER BUILDS A BOW THAT HE COULD AT LEAST HAVE ONE OR TWO LEFTYS!!!TRADITIONAL ARCHERY IN growing every day.I have even had a few left hand shooters even tell me that if a bowyer does not stock a lefty at a show or  a shoot they would not  even consider ever buying a bow off of that bowyer!!!!!
TGMM Family of the Bow
Comptons Traditional Bowhunter

Offline Jason_MO

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2008, 09:16:00 AM »
Another lefty here. Never been to any of the big shows as of yet. I get a chance to stop at the Widow Shop on occasion visiting family. Usually there is a handful of lefties on the rack there to try out.
Seems like we are on the 'buy before you try' program.

Offline TXRED

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2008, 09:17:00 AM »
Tell us how ya really feel,Dean.  :readit:  
   :bigsmyl:
John
    Too young for Medicare,
    Too old for women to care

Offline Tom I.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2008, 09:46:00 AM »
I'm naturally left handed and blind in my right eye so I have to shoot lefty. No choice.  Like others, it's hard to find left handed bows to test shoot.  Last year at Denton Hill there seemed to be more used lefties than new ones. I'd love to try a left handed Tomahawk or Predator.
Tom I.

Offline Oregon Okie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2008, 10:08:00 AM »
Right handed, shoot left (left eye thing) shoot guns, pool (billiards) etc all left. Don't have much experience trying but it seems I am on the buy and try route myself since I have one for sale and am getting ready to buy another one.
Russ
"Don't believe everything you think" - bumper sticker

"Savage Blaster" - 50@31 - 63" (recurve I made with Steve Savage)
Firefly TD longbow - 50@31 - 63"
7 Lakes double shelf from a blank - 45@31 - 66"
Trident ILF w Blackmax carbons - 42@31

Offline Ron B

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2008, 10:14:00 AM »
Another lefty here. I too have a hard time getting to try out left hand bows. I try whatever I can when I can. I know bowyers can't have a big selection of them, but at least if they would have one in a lighter weight for us lefties. Four years ago at Denton Hill I found Horne Archery.. Mark and Sandy had a bunch of lefties, in different weights. Guess hwere I spent a lot of time, and money. Don Assenheimer who is a lefty himself had a great bunch one of which I took home.

Maybe we need a left handers "bow pool" or something?

Ron B

Offline Scott Gray

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2008, 10:19:00 AM »
I have to agree with Dean. If the bowyer does not have a lefty demo bow then I will definatley not consider his wares. I got lucky in the fact that the fella that built my Banshee is lefthanded  :thumbsup:
BlackCreek Banshee 42 lbs@28

Offline BEN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2008, 10:19:00 AM »
Yep......Very hard to try out different bows or even get a "feel" for the grip etc.... being a lefty.
I was lucky though.......JD Emerson at Ancient SPirits actually let me borrow 2 different bows to shoot for a while before I decided which one I liked  better..........THEN I was able to put in my order for my custom Thunderhawk!
That was a whole lot better than gripping a right-handed bow and trying to think how it would feel.

ben
Ben
M.O.A.B  54# Thunderstick
Ancient Spirits 62# "Thunderhawk"
Browning Wasp 45#

"VEGETARIAN"----Old Indian word for "BAD HUNTER".

Offline Woodson Archer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2008, 12:35:00 PM »
I was born right handed and switched to left hand because of an injury to my hand. I am left eye dominant so i shoot bows left handed and write left handed. I do everything else right handed {baseball, golf etc}. With guns, i shoot a right handed gun left handed. I cant shoot a left handed gun and i cant shoot right handed. Go figure.
Woodson Archer
Cypress, Texas

Offline jhansen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2008, 12:43:00 PM »
I'm a lefty, too.  I mostly buy or trade bows on this forum.  The only archery shops around here cater almost totally to the compound crowd and I've never seen a lefty bow offered.  I look on the bright side, it gives me a great excuse to trade bows often!

John
Life is an adventure.  Don't miss it.

Offline swp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2008, 01:08:00 PM »
Other than lefties being far superior shooters as compared to righties  :)  it does suck when looking to buy a new or even used bow.
"People say you can't go back, its like when you get to the edge of a cliff and you take one more step forward or you do a 180 degree turn and take one more step forward. Which way are you going? Which one is progress?" Doug Tompkins

Offline WidowEater

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2008, 06:11:00 PM »
I am left eye dominant and was taught to shoot right handed by my right handed dad.  Later on when I finally figured out what eye dominance was I tried to shoot a friends lefty and it felt so.........right (as in correct).  I switched to left at that point.  Now when looking for a bow I have enough experience going at it right handed I just shoot the rightys if thats all they have.  Granted I am much less likely to buy something if they dont have a lefty to try but I have made an order before after only shooting a righty and it turned out excellent.  

I know I am a special case (literally) but I have the ability to test rightys even when I shoot lefty.
Silence over speed.  Heavier arrows never hurt.

Offline manny718

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Beauty is the making one of opposites.
« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2008, 06:11:00 PM »
i feel the lefties pain im 3 years into trad archery and have 5 used bows i think im ready for a truly coustom bow but would love to try more left handed bows before spending that kind of money
Beauty is the making one of opposites.

Online ShooterF150

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2008, 06:47:00 PM »
no problem with Foley bows. He has at least a dozen lefties on the rack and they are great shooting bows.He will be at Denton Hill

Offline WidowEater

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2008, 07:48:00 PM »
also no problem with Shrews, what with the man himself being a leffie
Silence over speed.  Heavier arrows never hurt.

Offline adeeden

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: July 23, 2008, 08:17:00 PM »
Yep us lefties seem to get left out quite a bit!
"I would rather be lucky then good, any day!"

Offline WESTBROOK

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: July 23, 2008, 10:13:00 PM »
I've had a few bows stolen, but they always bring them back.

Eric

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©