3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: longbows and arrowweights  (Read 240 times)

Offline dan ferguson

• Trad Bowhunter
longbows and arrowweights
« on: July 23, 2008, 12:30:00 PM »
for many years I shot a recurve, matched the spine cut to fly used 125 grn. points and didn,t woory about the weight factor, Since switching to the longbow I have found this to be more important in the way the bow handles, them long limbs are alot happier when that arrow reaches 9 to 10 grn and up, question I have is the alums come up short in the weight dept for the poundage I,m shooting, can one add weight to the frount of alum and keep a balance there. There wouldn,t be a problem if I backed the bow to say 55#, but I,m not ready to give up mine yet. My bow is around 70#@28 inches, 2117 with 125 grn points 555 grns, 2020,s aren,t much different.

Offline jhansen

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: longbows and arrowweights
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2008, 12:36:00 PM »
There are several ways to up the weight of an arrow.  For example, you can go to brass inserts instead of aluminum.  You can also add brass washers under the screw on point.  Adding weight up front has the added benefit of increasing the "forward of center" factor which will improve arrow stability and penetration.

John
Life is an adventure.  Don't miss it.

Offline dan ferguson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2008, 12:48:00 PM »
I have done this with carbons but just thought alums might be a different animal.

Offline dan ferguson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2008, 02:47:00 PM »
Should have made the topic longbows and aluminums.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©