3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Strings  (Read 225 times)

Offline Beanbag

• Trad Bowhunter
Strings
« on: July 23, 2008, 12:53:00 PM »
Kind of a newbie to trad, a little confused about the different types of strings used. I know about dacron but what is the difference between Fastflite and Dyna 97 strings. Are they the same with different names or are they as different as dacron and fastflite?? Thanks Jim G

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
Re: Strings
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2008, 02:01:00 PM »
They're similar, but not exactly the same.  Fast flite is comprised primarily of a material called spectra, D-97 of a material called dyneema.  They are both high tech low stretch, high strength, small diameter strings.  They are much more similar to each other than to dacron, which by comparison is larger diameter, less abrasion resistant and higher stretch.  

Fastflite is the trademarked name for the first low stretch, high strength material on the market.  There are lots of them now which are generically referred to as fast flite type strings.  D-97 is among them.

Offline LBR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2008, 03:39:00 PM »
They are both Dyneema, a brand name for HMPE (high modulous polyethelene--a plastic fiber).  Spectra is another brand name for polyethelene fiber.  There's different grades of Dyneema, and the way BCY and Brownell process it is a little different.  One bow may shoot very similar with either one, another bow may "like" one and not the other.

Chad

Offline sendero25

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2008, 06:53:00 PM »
Beanbag,
If you fish and have ever used one of the new "superbraid" lines like  "power-pro", "spider wire" or Suffix braid, then you know what D-97 and fastflight strings are made of.
Different fishing line makers use either dyneema or spectra, they all just braid and coat if differently. Just like in bow strings the same advantages apply to fishing line, low stretch and small diameter for the same breaking strength of normal monofilament nylon fishing line
John
"I'm not very smart but I can lift heavy things"

"I'm not as smart as I look"

quotes by my good friend Clay Miller from Valentine, TX

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©