3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Left wing Stos!  (Read 238 times)

Offline elk ninja

• Trad Bowhunter
Left wing Stos!
« on: July 23, 2008, 02:34:00 PM »
Well, with all the hopla surrounding Dr. Ashby's single bevel BH research, I went looking for some left wing beveled heads.  The only ones currently out there are the Eclipse heads.  (hint, hint!  Get them now for this years hunt!)  But I had already ordered some unground Stos heads to play with.  At the Idaho Traditional Bowhunter's winter get together and game feed there was a fella who went to Mellville Island for water buffalo and he told his story.  He used single bevel BH, extreme FOC carbon shafts (he put all thread in the front of the arrow to boost FOC and overall weight).... anyway, he made not one, but two complete passthroughs on his buffs, the first his guide had EVER seen.  And that's why I ordered some unground Stos heads.  
I made a jig similar to one posted here and this is what came of it.  
Next up, an elk field test this September.  Can't wait!  

>>>--Semper-Fi--->

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt.
-Abraham Lincoln

Offline cdworks

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Left wing Stos!
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2008, 02:44:00 PM »
the No Mercy single bevel comes in left wing
C.D.Works

Offline elk ninja

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2008, 02:47:00 PM »
I stand corrected.  I don't like the no mercy because the steel is a bit to thin to take much advantage of the single bevel.  
Mike
>>>--Semper-Fi--->

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt.
-Abraham Lincoln

Offline SlowBowinMO

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2008, 02:50:00 PM »
Looks great, love those STOS!   :thumbsup:

They'll be cranking those out factory eventually, I'm really looking forward to those.
"Down-Log Blind at Misty River"

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2008, 02:59:00 PM »
Looks nice.  Should work for you.  I'll be using my double bevel STOS yet this year, but will pick up their single bevel as soon as they introduce it.  I've been told that their single bevel will be comprised of two thicknesses of steel the entire length of the head.  That way they'll be able to get a true single bevel the entire length of the blade like a Grizzly.  The Zwickey and Eclipse don't have that feature.  Where they have three thicknesses of steel, only two can be sharpened single bevel, i.e., from one side.  The off side needs to be sharpened in the opposite direction, making them double bevels toward the point.

Offline snag

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2008, 04:23:00 PM »
Cool! Are you taking orders Elk Ninja?  lol
Isaiah 49:2...he made me a polished arrow and concealed me in his quiver.

Offline WidowEater

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2008, 05:15:00 PM »
i dont want to add more BS to this but.........ABowyer also makes the LW bevel, and these are excellent heads
Silence over speed.  Heavier arrows never hurt.

Offline owlbait

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2008, 06:11:00 PM »
Widoweater, single bevel is SB...not BS  :bigsmyl:   I am on the list for some SB LW Stos heads from Sharpster. Bought some DB Stos to practice with.
Advice from The Buck:"Only little girls shoot spikers!"

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©