3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Southwest Nebraska Mulies  (Read 286 times)

Offline Dmaxshawn

• Trad Bowhunter
Southwest Nebraska Mulies
« on: July 23, 2008, 10:29:00 PM »
Anyone ever hunted Mule deer in southwest Nebraska durring Thanksgiving?  I know its after the rut but thats the only chance I will have this year for my "hunting trip"  besides hunting locally.  

Shawn

Offline Roadkill

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Southwest Nebraska Mulies
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2008, 11:39:00 PM »
I hunted around the Platte one late Fall about 20 years ago.  We saw whitetails and mulies every day and I missed  atusker-twice.  I stalked along some of the many coulees-great fun.
Cast a long shadow-you may provide shade to someone who needs it.  Semper Fi

Offline dan ferguson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2008, 10:08:00 AM »
Southwest has some good mulies, rut is hard to hunt mulies anyway as they act more like elk. bigger bucks tend to herd up alot of does and you have alot more eyes, your biggest concern is that is shortly after rifle season and the big boys have some real good hiding spots figured out. The dominate bucks will still have some does with them and if you have access to private ground they will settle down some after the big guns go quiet. I have shot several deer in Dec, its a fun time to hunt.

Offline Roadkill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2008, 07:41:00 PM »
Doesn't look like you're getting much response.   I'd suggest you hunt the edges of the creek, river bottoms and the coulees.  Slow stalk along the crest and glass the areas to find what you're seeking.  Pop back and forth over the top and move slow and low.  Colder days kept them feeding longer in the morning when I hunted there,  This deer you seek also was in heavier cover too.  I found them bedded in the small trees in the coulees usually facing into the warming sun.  That's why I say low and slow and lie down to glass the opposite coulee side.  When you spot them you almost have to go all the way back and start on the other side with teh wind advantage.  Again, we bounced out deer while making htese stalks.  Just my recollection on how we did it.
Cast a long shadow-you may provide shade to someone who needs it.  Semper Fi

Offline 52 bow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2008, 09:07:00 PM »
I've hunted N.East Neb.for mulies and still hunted coulees and dry creeks.Saw some giant bucks and managed to take 3, one giant, all in their beds-12,23, 6 yds.I'm getting a tear in my eye thinking about the buck I shaved at 10ft.They don't need all that hair on their back anyway!!!!Good luck!

Offline shbne

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2008, 09:11:00 AM »
where in N. East Neb did you chase Mulies?

Is that a typo?

Offline stykshooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2008, 09:42:00 AM »
Not hunted mulies but I'm hunting S. Central Neb., excellent whitetails.

Offline Dmaxshawn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2008, 09:45:00 AM »
thanks guys.  The plan is to set up the double bull along their trail from bedding to feeding areas.  My wifes family lives there and they seem to have them figured out most of the time.  If that doesnt work then I will have to set on foot for the ole spot and stalk.  My family has a place in Hayes County Nebraska Its all private land and gets very little pressure but your right they tend to disappear when the guns come out.  I will be there two weeks after gun season so them might be moving again.  Once again thanks

Shawn

Offline mooseman1967

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2008, 12:48:00 PM »
stykshooter you live in waco? im in exeter like to meet ya if your around.

Offline Wary Buck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2008, 05:12:00 PM »
I was going to say what someone else did--right after Nebraska's rifle season (Nov. 15-23 this year), most deer still alive are on hair trigger.  The woods/fields are audibly different in just 10 days.  Before gun season and after gun season is like night and day, and our state continues to answer deer depredation complaints with more and more tags.  If the land access there is limited, you may still be in luck, but get away from the roads.  It should also be noted that this is the first year Nebraska will allow magnification scopes on muzzleloaders so the entire month of December is now a second 'rifle' season with no overall permit quota.  I live in the east, so can't offer much more to you.  Best of luck to you.
"Here's a picture of me when I was younger."
"Heck, every picture is of you when you were younger."
--from Again to Carthage, John L. Parker, Jr.

Offline stykshooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2008, 08:58:00 PM »
mooseman1967, my son attends (NELS) in Waco so I send alot of time in York. I'll be in Waco Aug 16th til Elk season opens in Co.. I might try to attend the shoot in Fremont

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©