3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Bows on Motorcycles  (Read 404 times)

Offline Tim Fishell

• Trad Bowhunter
Bows on Motorcycles
« on: July 24, 2008, 06:59:00 AM »
Just curious how many of you guys considered or figured out a way to carry your bows on a motorcycle.  I have seen pictures of guys carrying 3 piece takedowns on a bike but just curious what other ways guys have come up with to do this.  Also how do you carry your arrows as well.  Just thought it would be fun to take off on the cycle for some up coming shoots.  Thanks for any input.  

Tim
Dreams can not be bought; they are free to those who have lived. -Mike Mitten

We must go beyond the textbooks, go out into the untrodden depths of the wilderness & travel & explore & tell the world the glories of our journey

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Bows on Motorcycles
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2008, 08:19:00 AM »
there was a thread on this last year... some used rifle racks on the handle bars, others on there backs, Ron La Clair puts His in His quiver...

Offline L. E. Carroll

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2008, 08:41:00 AM »
Tim I just slip either one of my Griffin's or Shrew's 58&60" [ have a "new to me", 56" shrew on the way] in a nice padded sock and arrows in a leather quiver [like a 'Dog ware"]. I bungi these to the rack on the tour pack of my Electra Glide and "do It".  They have created no problems at all as they do not stick out very much on either side. If need be I can also carry camping gear [tent and sleeping bag] there too as the rack is big enough and they help support the bow and quiver. With the current gas prices I find myself doing this a lot.
Gene
Tall Tines R/C
64 Kodiak
69 Super Kodiak Big River replica
56" 55$# Static Tipped Kwyk Styk
Blacktail Elite
54 dual shelf Compass Kodiak

PBS Associate Member
Traditional Bowhunters of WA.

Offline Tim Fishell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2008, 08:55:00 AM »
Awesome I will do a search again to see if I can find the thread.  I have seen pics of Ron and Nancy with their bows and back quivers and that is a great idea.  I dont know how this would go as far as long distance rides or highway riding though.  

Gene, that sounds like a great idea.  I will have to check it out tonight and see how it fits on my Road King.  I just figured it would stick out to far on the sides.

We must go beyond the textbooks, go out into the untrodden depths of the wilderness & travel & explore & tell the world the glories of our journey

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Dartwick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2008, 09:03:00 AM »
I dont want to take a good bow, other than my take down, on my bike.

I can tape my arrows together with electrical tap and sort of tie them into my quiver and bind it up tight. I would need a better solution if if I was making a longer trip with a chance of rain.
But it works for going to a friends range to shoot in the evening.
Wherever you went - here you are.

Offline Gator1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2008, 09:08:00 AM »
Have you thought of a Side Car?

Offline Tim Fishell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2008, 09:18:00 AM »
Mitch, I asked the dealership about sidecars just out of curiosity.  They cost around $30,000 plus install to get a new one from Harley.  Now I know I can get one that is not Harley for cheaper but I would rather not go through the hassel and I am sure they are still pricey.  I think I would just pay for the gas in my truck at that point.

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline L. E. Carroll

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2008, 09:22:00 AM »
I have carried mine on 300+ mile trips with no problpms at all if you are carefull and 'Do it right" everything comes thru with out a mark or a lost arrow.  Just be sure and use a nice padded sock or bow case.  I take great pride in the condition of my Bow's and they show it.

I also occasionally take a 3 pc Great Plains LB or my MAIII. I carry them in T/D case strapped down the same way.

Again hope this helps,
Gene
Tall Tines R/C
64 Kodiak
69 Super Kodiak Big River replica
56" 55$# Static Tipped Kwyk Styk
Blacktail Elite
54 dual shelf Compass Kodiak

PBS Associate Member
Traditional Bowhunters of WA.

Offline Blackstick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2008, 10:22:00 AM »
Tim, I bought a used HD sidecar for my Road King, it only ran around $3000. They are high maintenance though.

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2008, 10:31:00 AM »
Nancy and I carry our bows in a special sleeve/pocket attached to the "Shrew" back quiver. I don't have those quivers available anymore. This picture was taken on our way home from a shoot we went to, about 50mi one way.

We live in the present, we dream of the future, but we learn eternal truths from the past
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.
Life is like a wet sponge, you gotta squeeze it until you get every drop it has to offer

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2008, 10:33:00 AM »
I stick a longbow into an appropriately sized PVC pipe and bungee it to the rear passenger peg and passenger back rest on my Harley Heritage Softail Classic.  Duct tape another section of PVC pipe to the upper half of it for arrows.  Carry my quiver and other stuff in the saddle bags.  Of course, a three-piece takedown is a snap.  Just bungee it (in a case, of course) to my passenger backrest and I'm off.  Have done it so it rides either horizontally or vertically.  Works well either way.  I add another short piece of PVC pipe for the arrows if the case isn't large enough to pack what I need.

Offline BEN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2008, 10:33:00 AM »
Haven't done it yet, but..........I have a KLR 650, A dual-sport bike, and am planning on figuring out a  way to carry my bow on it for hunting. Might as well ride instead of walking so far back some of these back woods lanes i walk down.

ben
Ben
M.O.A.B  54# Thunderstick
Ancient Spirits 62# "Thunderhawk"
Browning Wasp 45#

"VEGETARIAN"----Old Indian word for "BAD HUNTER".

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2008, 10:50:00 AM »
Motorized or pedal powered, the Shrew quiver with a bow pocket solves the carry problem for me.

We live in the present, we dream of the future, but we learn eternal truths from the past
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.
Life is like a wet sponge, you gotta squeeze it until you get every drop it has to offer

Offline Tim Fishell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2008, 11:20:00 AM »
Ron, That picture of you and Nancy on the bike is one of my favorite ones you have.  I think I like your helmet the best.  Would you hesitate taking off down the highway with your bow on your back like that?  Just curious if it messes up your fletching or anything like that on your arrows.  I was thinking weather permitting I would like to go to Elm Hall with the bike.

TGMM Family of the Bow

Online j.j.johnston

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2008, 11:41:00 AM »
I use a plastic document tube for the arrows, and put the bow in a t/d soft case.  Bungee them together and put them on like a back quiver.  Made several 3-500 mi. trips with no problems.  I have bungeed a one pc. longbow to the bars and carried the arrows in the tube as well.  I once tried just a back quiver for the arrows, but the fletches looked nasty by the time I got where I was going.  Maybe 90mph is too fast for feathers.  I did get a lot of waves from the cagers though.
60" Toelke Whistler 42@28
60” Toelke Chinook T/D 47@28
60" Toelke Whistler T/D 52@29
60” Toelke Whistler T/D 45@28

Offline oldskool

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: July 24, 2008, 02:46:00 PM »
I pull a trailer with my Gold Wing. No problem.
CHX 58in 44@28 CHX 58in 52@28

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: July 24, 2008, 03:49:00 PM »
Would you hesitate taking off down the highway with your bow on your back like that? Just curious if it messes up your fletching or anything like that on your arrows.  
I drove to the shoot that day down Expressway I-127 with no problems. I've gone to other shoots on the bike even further than that.

Offline Tim Fishell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: July 24, 2008, 04:47:00 PM »
Thanks Ron I may have to give that a try.  I am sure you get some funny looks driving down the E-way with a bow and a quiver full of arrows!!   :eek:    :thumbsup:

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Bob Barnes

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: July 24, 2008, 06:38:00 PM »
I like a hard case with arrows in the lid and a 2 pc bow/quiver in the bottom.  I even cut my favorite BBO in half to carry it to mojam a couple of years ago.   :)   Funny thing is...I ended up carrying back a 74" Yew stave.  I wouldn't want to do that again.  LOL.
Bob
"Hello, My name is Bob and I'm a BowAholic"

Offline DannyBows

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: July 24, 2008, 09:08:00 PM »
I was just thinking this over as I'll be going to a Motorcycle as my only transport in a few weeks, the old Chevy needs too much work and sucks too much gas. So, besides gear, I'll have to haul a deer if I get lucky. I'm looking at setting-up a small trailer. I've got takedowns, but love my Beeler LB best, so I reckon she'll ride in a PVC tube. I have one of those green arrow carriers from Cabelas that should work. Good tips here folks, thanks for sharing.
"Always feel the wind, and walk just like the leaves".  ("LongBow Country"--Chad Slagle, "High, Wild, and Free").

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©