3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Wool Yarn For String Silencers  (Read 559 times)

Offline RonD

• Trad Bowhunter
Wool Yarn For String Silencers
« on: July 24, 2008, 04:30:00 PM »
I am planning on using wool yarn as silencers on my bowstrings. However, I have a few questions about what yarn material to use. What is the best ply to use, 2 or 3 ply? What weight yarn is the best to use: super fine, fine, light, medium, bulky, or super bulky? What is the best wool to use for yarn silencers, sheep wool, Alpaca wool, or something else? Your opinions and personal experiences with yarn silencers would be greatly appreciated.

Offline owlbait

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Wool Yarn For String Silencers
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2008, 06:24:00 PM »
I made some from Merino wool. I like my Bow Hush and Bow Puppy yarn better. The bow seems quieter and the yarn is definetly stronger. Should last longer.
Advice from The Buck:"Only little girls shoot spikers!"

Offline WidowEater

• Trad Bowhunter
Silence over speed.  Heavier arrows never hurt.

Offline RonD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2008, 07:21:00 PM »
WidowEater, I made a copy of Apex Predator's build along for yarn silencers for future reference. However, it did not answer the questions I have concerning the quality and viability of particular yarns. I make my own bow strings and like the idea of doing my own silencers and would be better served buying yarn in quantity. I also make strings for some kids here who make their own tree limb bows and they cannot afford the Bow Hush silencers and when I have yarn on hand I can silence their bows for little or nothing.

Offline GingivitisKahn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2008, 09:47:00 PM »
We just used the thickest stuff we could find that was all wool.  Works and looks great.

Offline Mint Hill Mule

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2008, 09:48:00 PM »
I have tried acrylic yarn and Merino yarn. They are ok, but don't silence as much as cat whiskers. That is my experience.

Offline JSimon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2008, 10:10:00 PM »
I bought "Lion" brand 100% wool yarn from Wally World. It was Medium #4 and it worked great when I followed Apex Predator's build along. The puffs turned out like perfect full balls. I'll try to get a picture if I remember.

Offline Bill Carlsen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2008, 08:38:00 AM »
If you use wool that is used in making rugs you will be all set. We have a sheep farm in town which has a store where they sell all sorts of wool products. I brought some of the stuff that I had been using to compare and got the heaviest, lanolin rich wool yarn I could find and it works really well. For about $4 I got a lifetime supply in dark gray.
The best things in life....aren't things!

Offline RonD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2008, 09:53:00 AM »
Thanks Bill, that opens new avenues in my search for a wool that will do the best job of silencing the string slap. I think I will visit my local carpet stores and find out about their manufacturers and the sources of their wool for making carpet. Everyone of the responses I receive is helpful one way or another. In this part of the country our winters are extremely mild so finding wool yarn is not as easy as it is up north where it gets cold.

Offline SOS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2008, 10:05:00 PM »
For sure, if you use store brand, don't use acrylic.  Shreds in no time.  I found the pure merino holds up well.  I agree, raw wool with lots of the original oils would be best.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©