3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: What can I expect shooting from a treestand?  (Read 585 times)

Offline Red Boar

• Trad Bowhunter
What can I expect shooting from a treestand?
« on: July 27, 2008, 12:51:00 PM »
Another newbie question here. I have been practicing regularly in hopes to get good enough to hunt with my recurve this season.  I realize I need to practice also from elevation, since I be hunting from a treestand. I've done it for 20 years with a compound, but what can I expect from my recurve?  How much different will it be and what tips can you provide?   :archer:    Thanks!!
Treadway "Black Swamp"
Super Shrew
'62 Kodiak Magnum

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: What can I expect shooting from a treestand?
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2008, 01:14:00 PM »
Tim.  IF you have experience using a treestand with compounds, I think you will find that the physics doesn't change.  You will still tend to hit higher, you will still have to bend at the waist so you don't change draw length or         grip on the bow.  Most stick bows are longer than compounds so clearance is a bigger issue.  Not a problem, but something to be aware of.

From above, you still have to go thru a bunch of body and the chances of hitting bone, including heavier bone are compounded (pun intended), so learn anatomy and take only good shots.

Practice up and tell us how you did when everything works for you.
ChuckC

Offline Red Boar

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2008, 01:44:00 PM »
Thanks, Chuck.  I am guessing you are correct in getting used to overall length of the bow.  Mine is only 56 inches, but a long way from a 32 inch compound.  I plan on using 210 gr. Silver Flames from Beman MFX arrows...should provide some good punch.    ;)
Treadway "Black Swamp"
Super Shrew
'62 Kodiak Magnum

Offline Larry247

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2008, 02:27:00 PM »
I like to hunt about 20ft off the ground, so i have to aim low on the deer using a trad bow.

15ft is a little better shot angle but i get picked out by the deer more often, around here anyways.
A trophy is in the eye of the beholder.

Offline BigRonHuntAlot

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2008, 03:02:00 PM »
Tim, If you have a place to set up a stand and a target close to home it will pay for itself come hunting season. I set up a ladder stand on my backyard range and shoot out of it regulary as hunting season approaches. Good Luck to you.
>>>-TGMM Family Of The Bow-->

The Moon Gave Us The Bow, The Sun Gave Us The Arrow

Walk Softly and Carry a Big Stick

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2008, 05:51:00 PM »
As well as what others have said......

You may find that you need to cant the bow more from a tree stand to be more consistent and not shoot high.
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline Stone Knife

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2008, 06:02:00 PM »
Good point Terry, in the John Schultz DVD Hitting like Howard, he explains how a friend kept shooting over the top of a bear. His advise to this person was " you have to lay it down" after this advise his friend was able to finally take the bear out of a tree stand. Another thing to consider is not letting the deer get to close if you have a high stand location, this type of scenario will cause a one lung hit, when a deer is one lunged it can go a long way, I learned this the hard way.
Proverbs 12:27
The lazy do not roast any game,
but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.

John 14:6

Offline rybohunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2008, 09:20:00 PM »
Yea today was my first night up a tree. World of difference at first, but after a half dozen shots I was doing almost as good as on hte ground. A few more sessions & I should be good.

Offline BigRonHuntAlot

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2008, 09:29:00 PM »
LOL I shoot better in a treestand than on the ground!!!
>>>-TGMM Family Of The Bow-->

The Moon Gave Us The Bow, The Sun Gave Us The Arrow

Walk Softly and Carry a Big Stick

Offline baretraks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2008, 10:25:00 PM »
I hunted with compounds for years, most of which was spent 30 feet in the air just out of nose range.

When I put the "bow" back in bowhunting and switched to the stickbow, it was like going from high school to professional over night.

No longer was I able to shoot between my legs, shooting from a sitting position became a lot more difficult. It seemed like the left side and bottom of the stand stayed in the way.

I still love tree stand hunting, but have done a lot of ground hunting since switching to traditional. Getting off the shot just seems a lot easier.
" Life is hard. It's even harder if your stupid."
-John Wayne

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2008, 10:35:00 PM »
I really try to take all my treestand shots from a standing position.  I alternate between sitting and standing, but normally am able to catch deer soon enough that I have time to stand up if needed.   I do practice shooting while sitting, and will take that shot if I have to, but really prefer to be standing up.
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline Red Boar

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2008, 10:38:00 PM »
Thanks for all the great advice!  This term: " you have to lay it down", means the same as cant the bow?  Thanks again.    :notworthy:
Treadway "Black Swamp"
Super Shrew
'62 Kodiak Magnum

Offline Wary Buck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2008, 02:00:00 PM »
Stick bows need a little more wagon room up in a brushy tree stand, but one figures that out in short order.

When I miss, I tend to do so low, but I think that's because I'm peeking and dropping my bow arm to watch my kill, I mean miss.  The advice about leaning forward is important, and to do that, you need to feel secure up in the tree.  Be safe.

I like lower heights, 8-14' mostly, for better shot angle.  And I like to be standing up, as mentioned before; I feel it allows me to shoot a wider angle.
"Here's a picture of me when I was younger."
"Heck, every picture is of you when you were younger."
--from Again to Carthage, John L. Parker, Jr.

Offline Brian Krebs

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2008, 05:09:00 PM »
You HAVE to practice from your stand; and that means trying to shoot from standing positions and sitting- and see if your bow can be drawn and shot without hitting the stand. Like Baretraks said- positions that a compound shooter can shoot from cannot be done with a longbow.

I have sat sideways on the seat to shoot sitting; and knelt down on one knee; and if your the kind that gets excited- well with all the ways you might twist yourself to try and make a shot....be safe and wear a safety system.

Let the surprises come ~before~ the deer or bear walks into range....
THE VOICES HAVEN'T BOTHERED ME SINCE I STARTED POKING THEM WITH A Q-TIP.

Offline James Wrenn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2008, 06:22:00 PM »
I find shooting from a stand easier with stickbows than with compounds.Just like shooting from the ground for me but I have spent 30 years hunting from above. :)
....Quality deer management means shooting them before they get tough....

Offline Stone Knife

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: July 30, 2008, 08:22:00 PM »
Lay it down is the same as canting,Good luck   :archer:
Proverbs 12:27
The lazy do not roast any game,
but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.

John 14:6

Offline Fletcher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: August 01, 2008, 09:33:00 PM »
You can expect to see more deer from the tree.  It's good that you are practicing from a stand.  It is important that you maintain your form alignment by bending at the waist so you can keep your shoulders in line with the shot.  You really should wear a full body harness, too.  I like the Seat o the Pants, but the newer HSS look OK.  The early HSS had the straps going straight thru the crotch; NOT GOOD!  Don't even bother with a belt.
Good judgement comes from experience.  Experience comes from bad judgement.

"The next best thing to playing and winning is playing and losing."

"An archer doesn't have to be a bowhunter, but a bowhunter should be an archer."

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©