3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Steel Force not sharp - RESOLVED  (Read 327 times)

Offline Stinger

• Trad Bowhunter
Steel Force not sharp - RESOLVED
« on: July 28, 2008, 09:04:00 AM »
**** Update ****  
I want to let the TradGang community know that after emailing Steel Force about the issue described below, that I received a reply from Nick at Vision Quest, who now owns the business.  It turns out that the heads I mentioned have been discontinued.  As a testament to their truly outstanding customer service, they are sending me a new package of hand sharpened heads free of charge.  Customer service like that is truly refreshing in this day and age and I applaud them for it!
     :thumbsup:        

Got my new Steel Force 125 gr heads in the mail and expected the advertised sharpness out of the box.  I couldn't believe how dull they were.  First I tried shaving arm hair with them - not a chance.  Then I tried slicing a piece of stretched paper - again, not a chance.  Tried dragging it across a fingernail - didn't leave a mark even with pressure applied to it.  Finally tried to cut a stretched rubber band - it took 3 pulls across the band with medium pressure to break it.  To say I'm not impressed, would be a massive understatement.  Even my old bear razorheads were sharper out of the box.  Short of paying $25/head for the Silver Flames, what should I try next?  I'm not oposed to sharpening my heads, but would like to find a head that was close to ready out of the box.     :confused:      :confused:

Offline JDice

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Steel Force not sharp - RESOLVED
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2008, 10:07:00 AM »
$.02 worth - it is my experience that any mass-produced cutting tool (chisels, knives, broadhead, drill bits, etc) needs to be sharpened for optimum results.

Offline WildmanSC

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2008, 10:15:00 AM »
Are you talking about the new single edge bevel SF?  If so, I would suspect that it would be necessary to sharpen the single bevel and just a tad on the opposite side.

Bill
TGMM Family of the Bow

-----------------------------------
Groves Flame Recurve 62", 45#@28"

Praise the Lord Jesus Christ, He is Worthy

Offline Stinger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2008, 10:19:00 AM »
When I ordered them I was told it would be the single edge bevel, but they aren't - they are the two-edge.  I agree that most things need sharpening to get optimum results, but I would have expected these to need only some toch up with a fine stone.  these are so bad they will have to start from scratch with a file.

Offline WildmanSC

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2008, 10:24:00 AM »
Stinger,

I've bought some SF in the past and found them to be very sharp.  They have lifetime free sharpening.  I would mail them to the folk at SF and include a note that they forgot to sharpen them the first time and to please do so.  I would point out that you haven't yet shot the broadheads and have done nothing to them other than the few tests you described to check sharpness.  A company that has the motto they have surely doesn't want threads of this sort showing up on a major archery forum.

Bill
TGMM Family of the Bow

-----------------------------------
Groves Flame Recurve 62", 45#@28"

Praise the Lord Jesus Christ, He is Worthy

Offline J-dog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2008, 10:32:00 AM »
The ONLY head I have found to come out of the pack sharp, shaving arm hair sharp, is a magnus stinger. Other than that go with thunderheads or muzzys, as replaceable blade heads are ready to hunt out the pack. Love phantom heads but have to pull the bleeders and sharpen them before you can hunt with them.
It really bugs me how many companies advertise "ready to hunt out of the pack" that in no way shape or form are ready to hunt. Lead to alot of wounding loss as wounds clot or dont bleed well. Now I shoot all my heads ouot of the pack and re sharpen anyway. So I complain for nothing I guess! LOL Just dislike false advertising and am very picky about the sharpness of my knives and BHds.

J
Always be stubborn.

Captain hindsight to the rescue!

Offline BEN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2008, 10:36:00 AM »
Magnus Stingers----------Truly are ready to go out of the package. I've bought 3 packs over the last 6 years or so; ALL have been razor sharp out of the package

ben
Ben
M.O.A.B  54# Thunderstick
Ancient Spirits 62# "Thunderhawk"
Browning Wasp 45#

"VEGETARIAN"----Old Indian word for "BAD HUNTER".

Offline Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2008, 10:43:00 AM »
Your name is the answer.... Magnus Stingers. Maybe not perfect in some eyes, but can be made razor sharp with very little touch up....strop or crock stick.
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Online frassettor

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2008, 11:25:00 AM »
Magnus Stingers
"Everything's fine,just fine". Dad

Offline beachbowhunter

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2008, 11:27:00 AM »
Originally posted by Charlie Lamb:
Your name is the answer.... Magnus Stingers. Maybe not perfect in some eyes, but can be made razor sharp with very little touch up....strop or crock stick.
Yup, that's why I shoot them.. Free replacement too.
Ishi was a Californian                   :cool:

Offline J-dog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2008, 12:17:00 PM »
Another thing about stingers is they have a strong tip, called a diamond tip or something like that. Anyway the tip is good to go as well as their sharpness out of the pack.

J
Always be stubborn.

Captain hindsight to the rescue!

Online Steelhead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2008, 01:54:00 PM »
I like Stingers as well.so far I have bought are very sharp from the packagw.I have steel force heads as well and the ones I have bought were shaving hair out of the package.Could be a quality control issue or just some that failed to be sharpened at the factory.Send em back and they will be replaced or sharpened  and I feel they owe you another pack of heads as well to cover the hassle of shipping em and your time involved or at least pay for the shipping back and forth at the least.

Stingers are great and come with a new 150 gr. model with a beefed up ferrule that you might consider.i have been shooting 125 gr 4 blade non serrated ones and am happy with em.I have had excellant results with Steelforce heads and some of my hunting buddies have had excellant results as well.

Offline BMOELLER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2008, 02:21:00 PM »
Magnus Stingers
2009 Kansas State ASA Traditional Champion

Offline Stinger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2008, 02:26:00 PM »
Thanks for the great advice guys.  I think I'll try sending them back and buy a pack of Stingers as well.

Offline mike g

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2008, 06:52:00 PM »
Get yourself some Stingers from Braveheart Archery, Tim will treat you right.
"TGMM Family of the Bow"

Offline MJB

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: July 28, 2008, 07:15:00 PM »
Yep Stingers. Zephyr Sasquatch are pretty darn sharp out of the pack.
A Gobbler yelp Spring or Fall is a long conversation.

Offline Roadkill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: July 28, 2008, 10:07:00 PM »
Mike, you draw an x zone tag thsi year to use those broadheads on?
Cast a long shadow-you may provide shade to someone who needs it.  Semper Fi

Offline Sharpster

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: July 29, 2008, 08:08:00 AM »
Stinger,

I was very surprised to hear that the Steelforce heads you got were not sharp. I have always found that the Silverflames were the sharpest heads you could buy, followed immediately by Steelforce. I have not seen any that wouldn't shave right out of the pack.

Just a suggestion but, I'd call Nick Giannetti at Steelforce and tell him about it. Nick takes great pride in his work, especially the sharpness of his heads. He's a good, honerable business man and I'm sure that he will want them back to inspect himself. I have no doubt that he will replace them for free and probably send you a few extras to make up for the inconvenience.

Here's the phone number- 570 448-2845 He's in the EST time zone. If Nick isn't in, ask for Cathy or Laura. Any of them will be able to rectify the situation quickly.

Anyway like I said, Steelforce heads are always shaving sharp right out of the pack. I'm guessing that you just got a bad pack somehow.

Ron
“We choose to do these things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard” — JFK

www.kmesharp.com

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline tarponnut

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: July 29, 2008, 08:14:00 AM »
That had to be a glitch/miss in manufacturing.
The steelforce heads I've used were scary sharp out of the package, the sharpest I've seen.
I agree that Stingers are hunting sharp and I've had good luck with them on game.

Offline Stinger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: July 29, 2008, 02:39:00 PM »
Edited original post

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©