3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Help with my right-a-way  (Read 400 times)

Offline clear

• Trad Bowhunter
Help with my right-a-way
« on: July 28, 2008, 03:35:00 PM »
Ok I am shooting to the right and its driving me crazy!!! Shooting a GM2 @ 55# with GT 55-75 with a 125 tip. Bareshafting and flecthed both group right about 3in at 20 and 6 at 30 yards but a stinger broadhead will fly right on target. I know what some of yall say "shoot the stinger" but the shoots I go to look down on shooting there targets with a broadhead. Thanks for any tips.
its not the size of the dog in the fight but the size of the fight in the dog

Offline JEFF B

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Help with my right-a-way
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2008, 03:47:00 PM »
have ya tried moving ya side plate  :wavey:
'' sometimes i wake up Grumpy;
other times i let her sleep"

TGMM FAMILY OF THE BOW

Offline wtpops

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2008, 03:49:00 PM »
Try building out your side plate with a tooth pick (filed down to half thickness) or a match stick.
TGMM Family of the Bow
"OVERTHINKING" The art of creating problems that weren't even there!

Offline clear

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2008, 04:24:00 PM »
I did move my side plate out (right handed shooter moved it left)didnt chage it at all. This started all of a sudden I was shooting dead on then BAM!!! I was shooting to the right. It has to be me because the bow and arrow are the same I had to move I think, now up close around 10 yards its dead on till about 15 then it starts.

Offline mickeys4

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2008, 06:43:00 PM »
I found this webpage on tuning last week. Maybe of some help.
 http://www.bowmaker.net/index2.htm
"The longbow is the reason we don't speak French today,"

Offline KSdan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2008, 07:04:00 PM »
If you are shooting with no reference pts. (no sights, gap, string walking etc.) your windage should never change from 0 to infinity.  

I would get back at 10 or so and shoot at a vertical line (like a piece of tape).  Don't worry about elevation- just tune your brain to windage.  

Once you work on that for a few days then start moving back.  If you move back and start seeing th arrow move to the right- I would check on whether you are creeping/soft (no back tension) on your release which causes your bow arm to move right.

Also, are you watching the arrow in flight?  You should be watching the trajectory.  Bright fletching with dark target background helps a lot.

Just some thoughts. . .
If we're not supposed to eat animals ... how come they're made out of meat? ~anon

Bears can attack people- although fewer people have been killed by bears than in all WWI and WWII combined.

Offline Killdeer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2008, 07:14:00 PM »
Did you change your glove or tab?  :confused:  

Killdeer
Long, long afterward, in an oak I found the arrow, still unbroke;
And the song, from beginning to end, I found again in the heart of a friend.

~Longfellow

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline BRITTMAN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2008, 07:26:00 PM »
Clear ,
I have a problem shooting to the right alot with my longbow , Im a right had shooter also. I know its my bow arm or release jerking because my arrows are tuned perfect . Im going to keep my eye on this thread for some tips .

Mike
" Live long and prosper "

Offline Deadsmple

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2008, 09:29:00 PM »
In my experience I've found if there has been no equipment change then, most likely it's a back tension thing. For me that is the first thing that goes wrong when I'm shooting well. I start to relax and and I forget to get proper back tension. Eventually it creeps into my form without me knowing and I'm left scratching my head, wondering why I'm shooting right.
All praise is the Lords

"to get to heaven, turn right and stay straight"

Offline clear

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2008, 10:31:00 AM »
Well I guess its back tension. Was shooting my bare shafts and when I release my arrow(I guess with back tension)it would fly like a dart right were I was looking. How would I know that I was shooting with back tension would it be like shooting a release aid on a wheelie bow? Thanks for all the ideals!

Offline madness522

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2008, 10:57:00 AM »
With proper back tension your release hand pulls straight back when you release.  If your back tension isn't there your hand could go to the side or stay at anchor.  Once you reach about 3/4 of your draw your back muscles should take over and pull the rest of the way.
Barry Clodfelter
TGMM Family of the Bow.

Offline koger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2008, 11:35:00 AM »
I do the same thing, if my form is off when shooting my longbow and when the arrow is released and I dont find my draw hand still pulling past my anchor,or have a floating anchor or pluck the string from getting tired.
samuel koger

Offline clear

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2008, 12:30:00 PM »
Glad to see I am not the only one. I will try to see what happens when I release the string tonite,see if thats it. I guess when I shoot it just happens. I dont try to see what happens I just shoot and enjoy the flight of the arrow.

Offline jhansen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2008, 12:43:00 PM »
I noticed that you said something about watching the flight of the arrow.  Are you by any chance moving your bow arm to get a better view?

John
Life is an adventure.  Don't miss it.

Offline clear

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2008, 03:06:00 PM »
No I shoot with both eyes open, what I mean is when you shoot a arrow and it just goes were you want it to go.(Trust me thats the very frist thing I was looking at to see if that was my trouble)Thanks for the message.

Offline KSdan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2008, 06:23:00 PM »
The first guy to help me with back tension simply placed the tips of his fingers between my shoulder blades.  He then told me to grab his hand with the blades as I drew back.

I have never lost that "feeling."  I even practice the "feel" when I lift wts. and do rows or lat pulls.  

Hope it helps. . .
If we're not supposed to eat animals ... how come they're made out of meat? ~anon

Bears can attack people- although fewer people have been killed by bears than in all WWI and WWII combined.

Offline Harmless

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: July 29, 2008, 06:25:00 PM »
Canting your bow to the right more than usual will cause you to shoot to the right. Did you tune your bow verticaly ? and are now canting it ?
Hoots custom, lil Hoot
Blackwidow PSA111
Dwyer Dauntless
and a whole bunch of Bears

>>-Shoot Straight-->

Offline KSdan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: July 29, 2008, 06:26:00 PM »
By the way- back tension, like other parts of the shot sequence, is something you have to work on as "one item at a time."  If you try to concentrate on back tension (or anything else) at the same time you are concentrating on your magic spot- you will fluster your brain and even develop TP.  Just work on one technical aspect at a time until it becomes routine.  Once you have all the small parts- let your natural instincts (hand-eye) take over.  Periodically you will have to go back and do "drills" to keep your form in small areas.

Again- 2c

Offline KSdan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: July 29, 2008, 06:33:00 PM »
Technically, I agree with the canting idea of Harmless.  However, if you work at windage with a vertical line or tape like I mentioned in my first post- your brain will lock in on the routine cant position.  It is like any other sport; basketball, batting, etc.  With little practice your brain will put things the same way everytime.  And like a basktball player, after months and years, while your form (in this case canting) will generally always look the same, there will be those moments where you will need to cant differently (like the b-ball shooter needing to fade on his shot). You will find your natural ability compensating just like the skilled basketball player.  Until then- just be consistent.

Offline clear

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: July 29, 2008, 06:56:00 PM »
Cool stuff KSdan I will try that,and Harmless I am canting my bow about 1 a clock but I tried differnt angles and it didnt help much. KSdan hit the nail on the head about other sports have to with that eye hand thing,I need to put this in my routine till its back to normal. Thanks for the info guys your help more than just me.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©