3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: don't nobody use jest a stick and string no mo?  (Read 398 times)

Offline ChristopherO

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: don't nobody use jest a stick and string no mo?
« Reply #20 on: July 29, 2008, 12:00:00 PM »
I've got to confess that fiberglass is fun but wood speaks to me deeply.  I had the most fun missing a deer with my hickory stick last fall than I would have if taken it any other way.  Last night I chased the first ring on an osage stave I harvested and seasoned.  Yes, I'm in this bad.

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: July 29, 2008, 12:08:00 PM »
I built a board bow I did use glue for the arrow pass, handle overlays & to keep the wedges nocks in place. Other then that I made it myself for one piece of red oak

Offline TradBowyer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: July 29, 2008, 12:57:00 PM »
when this site first started, there was a ton of self bow/primitive buildalongs. During the winter months, the whole front page was full of new self bow creations/works in progress. Wasn't much fiberglass talk at all. I hardly see any of the "old" guys on here anymore. I kinda miss it.

Offline Jack Skinner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: July 29, 2008, 01:55:00 PM »
Selfbows are my primary weapon.

I was noticing the shift from primitive as well, am begining to wonder if I am missing something other selfboyers arent. Or maybe we are just busy applying our trade without as much time to "chat" afterall I dont buy much of my stuff, I am making almost everything now.

Offline Gary Logsdon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: July 29, 2008, 02:44:00 PM »
How many of you self-bow shooters go "all-natural", shooting bows with strings made from organic, historically accurate primitive materials?  Just curious, as my "sticks" still sport Dacron strings.
Gary Logsdon

Offline Jack Skinner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: July 29, 2008, 03:42:00 PM »
I would guess my stuff to be as much "period" as primitive. B-50 for me still maybe waxed linen soon but gut will be a little while, may try to make a string or two durning this archery season, if I shoot straight. Shafts are turned from a board not shoots or cane. Still use some modern glues instead of hide glue. And WY does not allow stone so I make my broadheads from saw steel in a tradepoint style. Begains to sound not very primitive at all, but making it myself was my first goal, then going all natural can follow.

Offline OsageBowyer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: July 29, 2008, 03:59:00 PM »
From what I understand even the most primitive of bowyers and archers indian and caveman alike were creatures of opportunity and were masters of utilizing the available materials on hand; stone & bone, copper & steel and cordage what ever could be found they used. They were the original recyclers my dad called it "field expidiancy" I say "get er done"
Our 2nd amendment rights do not begin or end with firearms & "shall not be infringed" reasonably or not! They are coming for your Bows, Knives, & Pointy sticks next

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©