3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: 20% FOC wood arrows  (Read 661 times)

Offline Highlandwarrior

• Trad Bowhunter
20% FOC wood arrows
« on: July 28, 2008, 08:05:00 PM »
I'm hoping to get in touch with Dr. Ashby on this. I remember reading that he hadn't found any wood arrows that came close to his "Forgewoods" that were I believe around 19%. A buddy and I came up with a long footed tapered doug fir arrow that is slightly over 20% with griz 190's. It has a kingwood foot that is half again as long as the usual. Kingwood is extremely heavy and as strong as any wood you're likely to find. They fly great and combine almost all of Dr. Ashby's recommendations for max penetration. Just thought you guys might be interested, and hope to hear what the doc thinks.

Offline Don Stokes

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: 20% FOC wood arrows
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2008, 08:44:00 PM »
I visited Bill Sweetland to learn about his process, in the early '90's. We were both wood tech guys, so we communicated well. His boards were tapered on one end before being compressed at high heat and pressure, so the point end came out heavier, and tough enough to be shot without a point. He was a fine gentleman to meet and discuss archery with.
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.- Ben Franklin

Offline steadman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2008, 10:58:00 PM »
Do you have any pics Albert? Those sound like great shafts, with a lot of weight.
" Just concentrate and don't freak out next time" my son Tyler(age 7) giving advise after watching me miss a big mulie.

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2008, 12:07:00 AM »
Here is a hunting tapered and footed arrow Ted Fry did-a double long footing of Osage-does not show up very well-but nonetheless there is 6 inches of heavy wood up front footed to a 85#  ACME shaft.

With a 160 grain Grizzly the total weight is 670 and I think the FOC came in around 16; with those little feathers and the footing it flies extremely well from my 50# ACS.
That will be my hunting set up this fall for hogs and whatever else I get lucky enough to hunt.

Offline Daddy Bear

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2008, 04:17:00 AM »
Bjorn, how much does the footing effect the arrow spine compared to just shooting a plain ACME shaft?

Highlandwarrior, Ted Fry has worked out footed combinations with wood arrows to get high FOC to shoot out of his selfbows. He even developed a smaller Raptor fletch to work with this combination. This is something I think is worthy as I prefer wood shafts, but I also prefer having a high FOC%. It does appear to take a bit more effort when working with wood compared to carbon, but it very well may be worth the effort for certain big game arrows. I think I read somwhere that there is an additional option to reach this now with a new metal foot called a "Woody".

later,
Daddy Bear

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2008, 11:29:00 AM »
Daddy Bear: With a regular length footing I shoot a 75# shaft, now with this longer footing I use an 85# shaft-it bareshafts very straight and the
paradox recovery is surprisingly quick.

Offline JetskiAJ

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2008, 11:46:00 AM »
If you are looking for more FOC and penetration, check out  www.woodyweights.com  Maybe not as nice looking as footed shafts, but a quick way to obtain what you want.

Offline Highlandwarrior

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2008, 06:57:00 PM »
It is a 6" long foot with 5" shield cut feathers. It is a 65# spine being shot from a 50# bow. With 190gr. point arrow weight is 670gr. They are heavy, strong and purty! Foc comes out to like 20.37% with the big feathers!! I'm not sure how to get the pic from photobucket to here so this is the link:
 http://i332.photobucket.com/albums/m332/highlandwarrior11/footedarrow001.jpg

Offline Daddy Bear

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2008, 07:04:00 PM »
Put a broadhead on it and I'll take a dozen.  That is a fine looking hunting arrow. I currently have a tapered-footed carbon that is near identical with just a bit more %FOC.  My next project is along the same lines as you guys are talking by coming up with a durable footed wood combination that comes close to the same specs. I do like the wood.

Daddy Bear

Offline Dr. Ed Ashby

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2008, 07:10:00 PM »
Albert, that sounds like a great setup for a wood. I think you'll find it highly effective on game. Let us know how they perform when you nail a critter!

Ed
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Highlandwarrior

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2008, 07:13:00 PM »
The plan is to try for a black bear in a month. I'll try to do my part and we'll see what happens

Offline steadman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2008, 07:17:00 PM »
Good Job on the shafts!! They are beautiful. I might have to learn to build some footed shafts.
" Just concentrate and don't freak out next time" my son Tyler(age 7) giving advise after watching me miss a big mulie.

Offline Dr. Ed Ashby

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2008, 07:21:00 PM »
Albert, after you've 'kilt that bar' try a few heavy bone shoulder shots from far enough back to be sure the arrow is out of paradox and tell us the results. My Forgewoods were just over 19%, but weighed close to 850 grains (and from pretty hefty bows). I never had one stopped by EITHER shoulder of a black bear. Even the shoulders of a big brown bear didn't stop them. I'm anxious to hear your results!

Ed
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Highlandwarrior

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2008, 07:21:00 PM »
Daddy Bear: I think the only way to go is the king wood for a footing. You're not going to find much else thats stronger or heavier and still be able to work it. It's heavy enough to foot a tapered hickory shaft and still give good Foc. If you use sitka spruce and a small fletch you could bump FOC up to almost 22%, although from my experience the sitka is not good in the strength cat. I've broken many while trying to straighten them

Offline Zbone

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2008, 09:17:00 PM »
Has anyone tried parallel shafting running it through a compression block (like 3-Rivers sells) and then a 10 or 12” taper?

Offline Highlandwarrior

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: July 30, 2008, 09:12:00 AM »
No, but it should only make it better. You would have a denser, and I assume somewhat stronger softwood shaft. Start with a big shaft 23/64 and compress it to 11/32 then taper to 5/16. Put a long 12" taper and foot it with that kingwood and it would probably one nasty hunting arrow. I don't know if you can get a compression block to do 23/64 though?

Offline Jack Skinner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: July 30, 2008, 09:24:00 AM »
Kingwood? I have been to a local hardwood store and have been experimenting with some diff hardwoods. I have not seen kingwood, is there a different name? Where have you been finding it. Footing for more FOC is to be my winter project after hunting season this year.

Offline Highlandwarrior

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: July 30, 2008, 09:38:00 AM »
Well, you're not going to like this, but you won't find it in a local hardwood store and probably not even a wood workers specialty store. The local store might be able to find you some, but if you have a store within 50 miles that specializes in exotic hardwoods it would be worth going otherwise you'll have to get it online. The problem with that is that you don't actually get to see the wood and will have to specify that you need a very straight grain.

As far as I know other than the latin name it is only known as kingwood. It is in the same family as rosewood, but do not let anyone tell you they are the same. Rosewood is not nearly as strong and nowhere near as heavy.

Offline Jack Skinner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: July 30, 2008, 11:32:00 AM »
Thanks next time I am at Sears and Trostle in Ft. Collins I will ask them about kingwood. I have seen rosewood there if I remember correct. They carry some exotics maybe they can find me some.

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: July 30, 2008, 11:38:00 AM »
Kingwood, purpleheart, wenge and osage all weigh about the same. Osage is readily available and holds glue better than the others.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©