3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Quivers  (Read 751 times)

Offline Frank1107

• Trad Bowhunter
Quivers
« on: July 29, 2008, 07:50:00 AM »
What are some of experience with different quiver types? I have always used a Cat Quiver, but I would like to try a bow mounted quiver. I am not interested in anything that screws in, but I was wondering how the quick detach vs. limb bolt mount vs. strap on types have worked or didn't work for you.

Thanks

Frank

Offline madness522

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Quivers
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2008, 08:48:00 AM »
I never liked the idea or found a bow quiver that didn't feel like it added too much weight to my bow.  That was until I tried an EFA quiver at our state shoot this year.  Don makes super light weight quivers that are well built and hold 3 or 4 arrows.  I hunted pigs with the EFA quiver on my bow last month and I really, really liked it.  Plus Eagles Flight Archery is a sponsor here and Don is a great guy to talk to.
Barry Clodfelter
TGMM Family of the Bow.

Offline Apex Predator

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2008, 10:40:00 AM »
I started out using a cat quiver and then shifted to bow quivers briefly.  I think the small EFA, and similar, are the best in a bow quiver.  I could not get used to my bow snagging on every limb, vine, and weed stalk while stalking on the ground.  I use a home made pack style quiver now.
I didn't claw my way to the top of the food chain to eat vegetables!

Offline tradwannabe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2008, 01:37:00 PM »
i have a Jack's "chief" side/back quiver and a solo stalker single on my bow. I don't like bow quivers generally because you arrows and quiver catch every single thing there is out there, grass, branches, general jungle stuff, and it adds weight to my bow that i don't like dragging around. I like to have almost nothing showing when you look at me shooting and adding a bunch of arrows emphasizes the one thing that may move before the shot to aim- the bow. more stuff moving, more likely to spook. Animals see MOVEMENT. Remember also that they don't see colour like us.

Offline Deadbolt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2008, 01:59:00 PM »
With my first recurve which was a small riser the EFA was great it didn't add much weight and I loved it.  With my new widow I got the GN but it seems to add to much bulk and I shoot the bow better without it so I got a cat quiver (should be home this weekend).

I gotta give another bump for the EFA quiver top notch!  The new ones are awsome!

Offline MJB

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2008, 02:27:00 PM »
Picked up an Adcock Stalker quiver from Art Vincent at Denton Hill . I must say I'm impressed   :thumbsup:
A Gobbler yelp Spring or Fall is a long conversation.

Offline fyrfyter43

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2008, 04:02:00 PM »
Another nod for EFA. I have one of the first of the new Talon Grip quivers. Light weight (my arrows weigh more than the quiver), and it hasn't moved at all after probably 1000 arrows or more.
"In the joy of hunting is intimately woven the love of the great outdoors. The beauty of woods, valleys, mountains, and skies feeds the soul of the sportsman where the quest of game only whets his appetite." ~ Saxton Pope

Offline olderndirt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2008, 04:43:00 PM »
After 40 years of looking I don't think that there is a GOOD way to carry arrows.  That said I'll second the small (4 arrow) stalker from Art Vincent.  It's the only thing that I've used for the last two years , and beats anything else I've tried.  Quality is excellent, should last a lifetime.
I'm not lost ... I'm exploring alternative destinations

Offline MJB

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2008, 05:02:00 PM »
olderndirt that's the one I picked up , small 4 arrow   :thumbsup:  Yep should last a lifetime.
A Gobbler yelp Spring or Fall is a long conversation.

Offline QUINT

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2008, 09:30:00 PM »
Make a small diameter straight tube quiver. About 3 1/2" to 4" in dia.  The same legnth as a back quiver, around 22".It will hold 1/2 dozen broadheads nicely. Put a belt loop on the top for rainy days so the fletching goes under your coat while on your waist and make a detachable shoulder strap so it can also be used as a  back quiver. Made of soft leather they are very quiet and very efficient.

Offline Frank1107

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2008, 10:02:00 PM »
Everyone,

Thank you for all the input. I agree with those who do not like a quiver attached to the bow. I hunt from the ground and have since the 70's. I only want to carry 3 arrows max. The EFA quiver looks really perfect for my style of natural cover ground hunting. When I pick a spot, I will remove the quiver from the bow, again the EFA looks like that would be really easy.

Thanks

Frank

Offline 2fletch

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2008, 09:24:00 AM »
Thanks for the recommendations. We at Eagle's Flight Archery started our business to give traditional archers/bowhunters more options on equipment. There were plenty of 6 arrow quivers on the market, and they have a large following. There were also those who wanted nothing, or next to nothing on their bow that would change how the bow would shoot. They wanted to be able to shoot their bow with or without the quiver and not see a difference in where the bow impacted the target. Some bowhunters want to keep their bow and quiver together on the ground going to their treestand, but once they are in the stand they will take it off and hang it on a limb or whatever.That's who we cater to.

Recently we introduced two new systems that really  improve on our products. We have worked on these for quite some time but we wanted to be sure we had it right before we introduced them in our line. Thanks to those who contributed to the development and testing of these new innovations.

Briefly, the two new products are the "Talon" grip and the "Totem" quiver. The "Talon is an improved fastening system that grips the bow limb very  securely. The "Totem" consist of using a graphite shaft to connect the hood and gripper assemblies  resulting in a very stable unit that can be removed from the bow easily. With the addition of a strap or cord it can also be hung conveniently on a limb or hung over the shoulder.

Tradgang members were involved with suggestions for making these products as well as helping to  name them. That's what I like about traditional archery, we share ideas and work individually and together to find new, but traditional products.

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2008, 12:18:00 PM »
Actually, I feel the opposite of tradwannabe....

I don't like a back/side quiver hanging on every thing and having to continually move it around to dodge stuff.  More movement getting a 2nd arrow out of a back quiver as well.

Most times I prefer a bow quiver, and here's why......

I like that when I push my bow through the brush, I've also pushed my arrows through, and I can visually see how to guide them quietly. I can look ahead, or at an animal, and glance down and maneuver without having to reach back or around and move a quiver.

My longbow and arrows weighs less than most T/D recurves, so I don't feel like I'm dragging around anything, especially with the Eagles Flight quivers as you hardly even know its there.

I also LOVE having the bow and quiver full of arrows out front as I've used it over and over as a blind to help break up my outline as animals approach....and with the added cover of the arrows, the only movement of the shot, my drawing elbow moving rearward, it concealed even more.  I also use a fletch cover that aids this feature.  I can't tell you how many times I've hid in plain sight with with my 'makeshift' blind in front of me.

Getting a 2nd arrow out is also best with a bow quiver for me.  Like stated earlier, not only less movement than most quivers, but you can keep your eyes out front as well and gauge when to with draw that 2nd arrow based on when the animal gives you the opportunity still with yourself concealed if they look back.

I also leave that '2nd shot' arrow (see pic) outside the fletch cover hidden in the back for even easier, faster, and quieter removal.

I have a love hate relations ship with the Cat Quivers.....great for keeping the arrows out of the way.....not good for keeping the arrows out of the way.     :D    

I have taken a liking to the Arrow Master side quiver.....it holds a lot of arrows if need be, and you can guide the quiver through the brush really well by using your hip to guide you properly.  Well made, broad head protection, foam bottom, rain drain, pocket and storm cover.  I used the Arrow Master to film a hunt this spring, and it worked real well even in the thick stuff we were traversing.

A lot of our choices are personal preference, and how we like to apply them.....and having choices is definitely a good thing.    :thumbsup:
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline Ray_G

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2008, 12:36:00 PM »
Terry,

Any update on the fletch covers?

Ray
Sunset Hill 64" 54# @ 26"  "Destiny"

B.H.A.

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2008, 09:38:00 AM »
Ray.....thanks for reminding me.....the season is near, and I've done given all mine away.

I'll check on that right now!

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

Offline sswv

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2008, 09:51:00 AM »
I have always used a bow mounted quiver. I just can't get comfortable with anything else. I really like the Thunderhorn Small-Fry's but I'm in the market for another so I just might have to try that new Eagle's Flight 'Talon' Don has.

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: July 31, 2008, 10:03:00 AM »
Wow...just went to Eagle's Flight....Don's got quiet a line of quivers now.  The Talon isn't listed, or I misted it.....got a pic of the Talon ssw???

Offline fyrfyter43

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: July 31, 2008, 10:35:00 AM »
Terry, the Talon isn't a quiver model, but rather a new attachment method. Here's a pic of what it looks like.

"In the joy of hunting is intimately woven the love of the great outdoors. The beauty of woods, valleys, mountains, and skies feeds the soul of the sportsman where the quest of game only whets his appetite." ~ Saxton Pope

Offline Scott J. Williams

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: July 31, 2008, 09:18:00 PM »
I am a little strange, I guess.  I use both my cat quiver, and my bow quiver.  Many times when I hunt, more so here in Texas, I encounter small game during my big game hunts.

I carry a mix of blunts, Flu Flu arrows, broadhead arrows for the odd rattler, and stumping arrows.  I like to know that I have a few for those pesky squirrels/rabbits that always show up at slow times, or the coon that decides he wants to get into my hog bait.

I also like it because it keeps at least a couple of my arrows dry in case of a down pour....I prefer bow quivers because they allow, at least for me, a natural cant.  The extra weight, not much compared to my old compound days, allows for a more steady bow hand.  

Just my opinion, so if you guys have any left hand quivers you want to get rid of, let me know.  My favorite quivers are great northern, and Selway Slide on, I have a Selway Bolt on my SAV Ironwood.
Black Widow SAV Recurve 60inch "Ironwood" 62@28
Black Widow PLX longbow 62inch "Osage" 52@26

Offline rybohunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: July 31, 2008, 09:38:00 PM »
All you EFA guys.... do you have problems with your arrows falling out?

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©