3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Rivers West clothing?  (Read 666 times)

Offline JDice

• Trad Bowhunter
Rivers West clothing?
« on: July 29, 2008, 04:55:00 PM »
Is is dry - rain and/or sweat? Is it quiet - even in the cold? Is it worth the money?

Offline aromakr

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Rivers West clothing?
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2008, 06:02:00 PM »
It is most certainly dry, you can duct tape the cuffs to your boots and wade a creek and stay dry. Is it quiet, not even close. Is it worth the money, thats a decision you have to make.
Bob
Man must "believe" in something!  I "believe" I will go hunting-----

Offline JDice

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2008, 06:11:00 PM »
While I was asking for your opinion on the value of the clothing - you have given me the info I need to know it isn't worth it to me - "Is it quiet - not even close".

Thanks

Offline Mohillbilly

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2008, 06:15:00 PM »
Dice, I would have to disagree with aromakr.  I purchased a set two years ago for a Kodiak, Alaska blacktail hunt.  The clothing is dry, comfortable and quiet.  I use it in Missouri in the winter, due to its warmth, and don't notice any more noise than with fleece or wool.  The exterior of the clothing is actually kind of like a soft wool, etc.  I would highly recommend it for waterproofness, comfort, and overall useability.  
Bret

Offline Jesse Minish

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2008, 06:22:00 PM »
It is definitely waterproof. But I sweet in it and only wear it if I am sitting in a stand and not hiking around. I find that it is not real noisy but not as quiet as fleece or wool. I would go to a retailer and try it out first hand if you can.

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2008, 07:51:00 PM »
I have the lightweight stuff.  Got a little wet on the inside packing out an elk in the rain last fall, but no water got in from the outside.  Probably better for light action or standing than active walking, but that's true of almost all rain gear.  May not be as quiet as wool, which I wear in all other conditions, but I sure don't consider it noisy.  Brush doesn't make noise scraping across it.  Let me take another tact.  It's quieter than any other rain gear I've ever owned, and I've owned a lot of it.

Offline MikeS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2008, 10:41:00 PM »
I've owned a set for going on 3 years now.  It is my "go to" suit for deer hunting in cool to cold weather, my winter rabbit hunting outfit, my ice-fishing outfit.  I swear by it.  You can't wear it if it is warm though.  I have worn it ALL DAY in a February downpour here in the Adirondacks while setting up for an ice fishing derby and it kept me dry and warm.....even in a howling wind!  I have a King of the Mountain jacket that I like, but this stuff beats it hands down in almost ever category, including price!  And I do NOT find it noisey.  While I will admit it is not as quiet as wool or fleece, it certainly can not be considered noisy.  
Mike

Offline Emmons

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2008, 10:49:00 AM »
I have been looking into the Rivers West gear also.  About 75% of my hunting is done in the rain, mostly still hunting and spot-n-stalk.  I have Cabelas' saddle cloth with dry-plus that just is not cutting it.  After the last trip being soaked the whole time I started looking for good rain gear.  Compared to other rain gear the price of Rivers West is very reasonable.  Hopefully I will be ordering the Stalker Pants and Jacket soon, this is the mid-weight gear and is what Rivers West recommended based on my hunting style and climate.  I would like to hear from more people that are using the gear now.

James

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2008, 10:55:00 AM »
Chile:  That's the stuff I'm using.  See above.

Offline Emmons

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2008, 11:16:00 AM »
That is what I wanted to hear.  I was also looking at the new Outlaw Pants and Jacket which are the light-weight material, but I am not crazy about the camo patterns and was concerned it would not be warm enough if I was to do some stand hunting.  I think the mid-weight is the best option for me, in the digi camo.

Offline Steve H.

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2008, 01:06:00 PM »
I think it is great stuff for stationary hunting.  Too hot for anything but a stand and I havethe light weight stuff.  used it in OR last year hunting coastal blacktails.

Offline Steve H.

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2008, 01:07:00 PM »
One more thing.  It is good for huntning when you can shuck the watre off in the evening.  Might not be as good on an extended trip away from indoors or a heat source.

Offline Billy

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2008, 06:07:00 PM »
I have a heavy jacket. It is warm, dry, and quiet. It is not the greatest for stalking, due to bow arm bulk.
I will say this; it is GREAT for a late winter sit! Stops the wind and any rain that I have been out in.
Way down in Georgia, the light or mid weight(depending on your tolerances) with a base layer and middle layer would most likely get you through a season.
Mine is worth every penny!!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Taker of the Founders Red Pill

Offline bama

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2008, 06:25:00 PM »
I used it the Lakota pants and jacket last November on a Sitka hunt on Kodiak Island where it rained all of the time and temps were in the thirties and I have no complaints.  I do not believe that there is any waterproof clothing that will not make you sweat under heavy exersion so you have to pace yourself.  We climbed constantly and it worked great.  Quietness is adequate for Alabama treestand hunting.
That being said, I don't believe there is anything out there that is absolutely perfect for all conditions.

Online Burnsie

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2008, 07:53:00 PM »
I rememeber Paul Brunner saying he owned the digital pattern and loved the stuff.
"You can't get into a bar fight if you don't go to the bar" (Grandma was pretty wise)

Offline drewsbow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: July 30, 2008, 08:08:00 PM »
I own the mid weight and love the stuff , you do get hot while walking but not wet from the outside.  I have a dealer sale add if you want I'll pass it on through e-mail.  Drew
Try to be the person your dog thinks you are :0)
TGMM Family of the Bow
N.Y. Bowhunters member
BigJim 3 pc buffalo 48@28
BigJim thunderchild 55@31
BigJim thunderchild 55@32 Jim's bow

Offline nock hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2011, 06:38:00 PM »
I bought it for specifically for rain gear and I wish I hadn't!!!!! I have never had gear that was this bad. A brand new (replacement) pair of bibs leaked from being splashed with water. So I called and told them about the problems. 1 set has been back twice. with still the same problems. That was after they remembered top send them to me. Just sent both sets back and only received 1. They thought they would keep the other pair I guess? Don't buy it it's garbage I've worn cotton shirts that leak less!!! Waste of money.
62" 61@27" Bighorn T/D Recurve
    50@27" Bighorn Limbs
62" 59@27" Algoma Packbow Longbow
62" 60@27" Algoma Packer 2pcLongbow
62" 60@27" ACS-CX 3pc Longbow
64" 49@27" ACS-CX Limbs

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: April 26, 2011, 09:31:00 PM »
I had a set of the LAW stuff.  Sauna comes to mind...itis like wearing a wetsuit.

« Reply #18 on: April 27, 2011, 08:59:00 AM »
I have owned a couple of sets of Rivers West stuff since they first came out with it a number of years ago. I don't wear it often, but when it is cold AND wet during hunting season there is nothing better. You will be dry and warm regardless of what nature throws at you. Now, having said that there are a couple of issues: you sweat in the stuff if you work up your body temperature. The way to deal with this is to wear good base layers that wick sweat away, and to get a jacket with "pit zips" to regulate body heat. The other issue is that it absorbs water and takes a while to dry out, but if you have access to a dryer that's not a problem. They often have really good sales, so if the cost is problematic you can get the stuff a lot cheaper if you are patient. My 2 cents.

Offline ripforce56

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: April 27, 2011, 04:27:00 PM »
I have a coat and 2 sets of pants, I have wore this stuff in monsoon rains, wet snow and just about everything else mother nature can throw out there, best gear I have ever owned!I use mine for hunting and now steelhead fishing have not go wet yet! The stuff is pricy but watch for clearance sales its well worth money, especially in the kind of crap weather Michigan has had as of late!
BirchBark Rovers Custom Quivers 
Bama Royal Expedition T/D  #00027
Root Target Master 66in 40@28
SF Forged Plus/Carbon Elite 40lb Limbs 68in ILF
Schramm Recurve 62in 46@28

Schramm 62in Recurve 46@28

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©