3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: This will be my first year hunting any tips?  (Read 694 times)

Offline 2Blade

• Trad Bowhunter
This will be my first year hunting any tips?
« on: July 30, 2008, 02:43:00 PM »
This will be my first real year of hunting with a traditonal bow. I guess my real question is how to setup to get a deer 20 yards or less? Should I kill the first deer I get a shot at to get the jitters out of the way? What do you guys do to consistently kill deer with stickbows? I plan to do some September squirrel hunting with my bows for some good pratice. Ive taken 17 deer with both gun and bow but never with a stickbow im assuming setup closer to main runs?
The Stuttering Bowhunter

Offline Dmaxshawn

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: This will be my first year hunting any tips?
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2008, 03:06:00 PM »
This is my first attemp with a long bow this year as well have done well in the past with the wheels.  I have been hog hunting to try and get a few under my belt before the season gets here and get rid of the jitters.  I know it alot different that foam.  Good luck I believe I will go hog hunt now.

Offline JDice

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2008, 03:08:00 PM »
$.02 worth:

There are a LOT of threads in this forum covering a LOT of hunting specifics - use the search function to look up your subjects of interest.

There is a lot of info available elsewhere on the 'Net, in books, magazines, etc. It is relatively easy/inexpensive to find.

Look for a Traditional Archery Club in/around Ithaca. Join. Talk to the other members.

Finally, remember this is a journey not an event.

Offline Jerry Jeffer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2008, 03:30:00 PM »
You sound like an experienced hunter to me. Just do what you do when you hunt.  Have fun.
I will give thanks to the LORD because of his righteousness and will sing praise to the name of the LORD Most High.

Offline JSimon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2008, 03:48:00 PM »
This will be only my second year hunting with a recurve, but I didn't find the need to hunt any differently based on the weapon. The deer that I have shot with my compound (and shotgun) were all less than 20 yard shots anyway.

Last year, I was also feeling a little pressure before my first traditional deer season. I told myself that I would take the first good shot at a legal deer within my range (except for a button buck). I wanted to get a good kill under my belt in order to establish some confidence in my equipment and practice. Well, as it turned out I decided to pass on my first shot at a doe. It just didn't feel right and I didn't want to risk getting busted. Shortly after that doe walked by, I was in a better shooting position and I could see a small buck walking toward my opening. I was about half draw on that buck when I saw the buck in my avatar walking down the same path. I'm glad I waited, but at the same time I would have been extremely happy with that doe.

Just don't put too much pressure on yourself, enjoy the experience, and things tend to fall into place.

Offline woodchucker

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2008, 04:02:00 PM »
Practice.....Practice.....Practice!!!!!

GOOD LUCK!!!!!!!!!!   :archer:
I only shoot WOOD arrows... My kid makes them, fast as I can break them!

There is a fine line between Hunting, & Sitting there looking Stupid...

May The Great Spirit Guide Your Arrows..... Happy Hunting!!!

Offline Bill Turner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2008, 04:04:00 PM »
Have fun,get close,keep'um sharp and pick a spot but most of all be patient.  :thumbsup:

Offline rg176bnc

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2008, 05:32:00 PM »
Just let it happen, the shot will come.

Offline kctreeman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2008, 05:55:00 PM »
Like Jerry said.  First of all Have Fun.  If you have a trad buddy even better have twice as much fun. Hunting is not a competition.  There are other sports better sooted for competition. I found that when I switched 15 years ago I started to hunt in heavier brush where shots were close. I went about ten years before I seen a deer that I wished I still had my old Onieda for to reach out and shoot him.  Most of my deer are 20yards or less. several have offered more than one shot at that range. Good luck and post your results.

Offline BRITTMAN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2008, 05:57:00 PM »
Dont hunt to high  try to stay around 10 to 12 feet in good cover , set up a stand in your yard and try to make it as real as possible ( a 8 foot ladder will work and is easy to move around ) , your longer traditional bow will be prone to hit things like: bottom limb hitting the stand , top or bottom limbs hitting tree limbs ect. ( be aware that your not hunting with a 32 in compound ) . Dont get discouraged if you happen to shoot over the Deers back the first time , this is where shooting from a stand in the yard comes in . Remember to pick a spot and not to shoot at the deer but a small spot . And last yes I would take some does or yearling bucks to build my confidence before going to the big boys .

Mike
" Live long and prosper "

Offline Billy

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2008, 06:12:00 PM »
I've not gotten a deer yet...3d year.
Be prepared to deal with YOUR decision to shoot or not.
Someone said 'this is a journey'...life happens... What we do should be FUN!!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Taker of the Founders Red Pill

Offline Brent Hill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2008, 06:12:00 PM »
Have fun.  Practice like you play.  I usually hunt out of tree stands and for several years shot over deer in the tree stand with my curve.  Years later, I learned that they duck and I'm noisy and slow.  After that realization, I choose to keep my shoots under 15 yards for whitetails and focused on the bottom of the deer and started taking more deer.  I also took my practice deer, pigs bunnies, and rats to get over the jitters.  In addition, the month before season, I quit shooting long shots and focus on shooting targets from 12 to 18 yards and treestand shots off of my roof at a 3-d target.   Finally, If you miss (and you will) enjoy the experience.  We are truly blessed to have these kinds of problems. I went 4 years and an undisclosed amount of missed deer before I took my first deer with my recurve.  I haven't looked back since.  Last month, I took a kudu, impala, and warthog with that same bow.  Good luck and have a ball.

Offline 2Blade

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2008, 09:35:00 PM »
Good replies it gives me an idea. I was planning to hunt in the thicker areas this year so im glad somebody mentioned that.
The Stuttering Bowhunter

Offline wtpops

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2008, 11:57:00 PM »
My tip would be take the first and any opertunity that comes. I mostly hunt hogs and have never hunted teath. With our close quarters type of hunting opertunities can be few and far between. Get some shots and have fun.
TGMM Family of the Bow
"OVERTHINKING" The art of creating problems that weren't even there!

Offline 2Blade

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2008, 12:08:00 AM »
The things really crossing my mind are can I make the shot? Will I get a deer close enough? Can I hold out long enough or possibly go without killing a deer with my bow? Im confident in my shooting but something is still intimidating me.

Plus I do enjoy filling the tags to me hunting is pointless without a kill I feel as im defeating my own purpose but I guess I can save the tag filling thing for late season with the muzzleloader.
The Stuttering Bowhunter

Offline Plug

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2008, 01:13:00 AM »
I wrote this a while back for a similar question.
It still fits.

With whitetails success is kind of four-fold.

The first is locating deer. A lot has already been written and the only thing I might add is do your best to hunt undisturbed deer. That means private land where few others are hunting or secluded public places. Patterning natural deer movement is very hard to do if others are pushing them around. If that is the case you have to discern how they react to hunting pressure and pattern them accordingly. Tough to do. It's much easier to pattern the natural patterns of undisturbed deer ie. bedding/feeding trails, rut sign, etc.

The second aspect of success is once locating deer being in the right place to get the job done. Bowhunting requires that you hunt spots not areas. A common mistake new bowhunters make is hunting areas. Okay for long range weapons but not effective for the bowhunter. Placing stands in areas may lead to seeing a lot of deer but few shot oppurtunities. I may set a "scouting" stand in an area so I can watch and get a better idea of how deer move through the area. Sometimes it may work out to be a good hunting stand also. But when I set a hunting stand it is in the exact spot where I expect a deer to be. I set the stand with the confidence that the deer will walk by exactly "HERE". Of course each stand site might cover more than one specific "HERE" but setting your ambush to intercept the deer at exact spots that afford CLOSE shots at the proper shooting angle is paramount. Set your stands for shots inside of 25 yards so you'll not only see deer but you'll have the chance to make the shot.  All my stands are set to give me an anticipated 10-25 yd. shot.

When you set up for close shots on undisturbed deer it is very important to always hunt the wind and leave minimal impact on the area. Stay out of the stand until the wind is right.  Never, ever disregard the wind. Leave minimal scent behind. For me that means wearing clean rubber boots and using hang on stands with steps or climbing sticks that I take away. When I climb my stand I touch only the steps/sticks which again I remove when I leave. If I use a ladder stand I wear rubber gloves when I climb it. I do my best to keep the deer undisturbed by not leaving a bunch of man scent behind. Even then I rotate my stand sites because it is impossible to be totally inconspicuous. That's why I never stand hunt whitetails from the ground. I believe it is impossible to spend a significant amount of time on the ground without leaving behind a lot of scent. The deer walks by a few hours later and smells where you have been. They will remember and they will avoid that area in the near future. As far as what to look for in setting stands on specific spots as a rule trails leading from the bedding area to the feeding area are the easiest to scout and offer the most oppurtunities at all deer.

Finally, have the archery skills to deliver the goods. Shooting is covered extensively here so the only thing I'll say is 10-15 yard shots are a whole lot easier than 25-30 yard shots which again underscores the importance of the second aspect I mentioned.

Offline buckeye_hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: July 31, 2008, 08:15:00 AM »
Have you ever thought about or do you hunt from the ground?  It is a blast!  Having a big buck at 10yds while hunting on the ground is way different than being up in a tree. Different perspective for sure!

I my opinion, and just my opinion, there is less "stuff" to take hunting, more mobility and you are WAY quieter getting into and setting up in the woods when hunting on the ground.  Just take a decent folding chair/stool and sit by a tree about 10-15 yards downwind from a good deer trail.  Make sure you scrape all the leaves away from your feet and sit still! One other thing, make sure there are a couple good size trees between you and the deer trail.  That way you can draw while their head is on the opposite side of the tree and vision is impaired.

Good Luck,
Charlie

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: July 31, 2008, 08:36:00 AM »
I agree with others... Have Fun. Being in the woods is my first trophy, tagging a deer/game animal is the second trophy. If you have hunted with a wheelie bow You can hunt with a stick bow. Just remember don't draw your bow to soon, there is no let off. Wait, watch & learn. Look for ambush spots more so now then when you hunted with firearm or wheelie bow, look for down trees, brush Piles, grove of trees where you can stand in the middle and not be seen but be able to take a shot. Hunting isn't always about tagging out. It is about being one with Nature. Let the Great Spirit guide you on Your new journey. You will find that the rush is 10 fold with a long bow or recurved bow.... Good Luck

Offline Dave Lay

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: July 31, 2008, 12:14:00 PM »
I agree with, keep it fun, but serious enough to bear down when the shot comes. I highly believe in getting some deer under your belt, builds confidence and ya learn things like when to draw etc. I know ya have killed with  wheels and guns, but this is different, forget the trophy huntin, that only adds stress to a situation, stick to your effective range, take only good shot angles, and tune and silence your equipment. Stands, hunt low if ya have good cover,it keeps the shot angles better. use your woodsmanship to set up close, finding bottle necks etc.. but above all else, if it doesnt feel right, dont release that arrow. You want  positive results to build on, pushing a shot will not give you that.  good luck!
Compton traditional bowhunters
PBS regular
Traditional bowhunters of Arkansas
I live to bowhunt!!!
60” Widow SAV recurve 54@28
60” Widow KBX recurve 53@27
64” DGA longbow 48@27

Offline GG

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: July 31, 2008, 12:36:00 PM »
Aim low behind the shoulder. They will jump the string.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©