3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: String help  (Read 468 times)

Offline 2Blade

• Trad Bowhunter
String help
« on: July 31, 2008, 12:50:00 AM »
Ive been using flemish bow strings but dont have any luck with them. Ive gone through 2 strings on my recurve and 1 on my longbow. I would think my bow was cutting the strings but it has happend in diffirent spots on the string. Im not sure if my bows just eat them up or if their just poor quality the one broke after a few months then the new one of the recurve was worn out as in strands coming undone in about 2 weeks same for longbow string.

Im wondering if I can use a Dacron string for these bows? The bows are shown in my signature so please any advice would be helpful. I hear Dacron can only be used on certain bows so I dont want to get the wrong strings. Thanks.
The Stuttering Bowhunter

Offline fyrfyter43

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: String help
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2008, 05:08:00 AM »
You can use Dacron on either of those bows. In fact, Dacron can be used on any bow. It's Fastflight materials that can only be used on bows that were built to handle it.

That said, it sounds like you might have something else going on there. Are you sure the new ones are no good? It's common to see the tag ends of Flemish twist strings, as long as the string doesn't start coming apart.
"In the joy of hunting is intimately woven the love of the great outdoors. The beauty of woods, valleys, mountains, and skies feeds the soul of the sportsman where the quest of game only whets his appetite." ~ Saxton Pope

Offline 2Blade

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2008, 08:31:00 AM »
Well one the on the recurve frayed where the loop goes on the end and then strands broke . Then the new one broke for the recurve broke up past the serving. And for the longbow it broke where the loops go around the limb. Wish my cam was working.
The Stuttering Bowhunter

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2008, 08:52:00 AM »
You need to pad your loops. Also take a piece of emory clothe and sand down the nocks. make sure you have no corners. How do you string your bow? If you do the push/pull You could be cutting the string and not know it. When I brace my bow I just push the string with my finger, not my hand.

Offline Don Stokes

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2008, 10:43:00 AM »
Check the string grooves when the bow is strung, and make sure the string isn't bending around a corner where it leaves the groove. The string should go straight up into the groove without interference. If it has to bend around a small corner, it will fail at that point.

A new string should never break or come apart that soon.
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.- Ben Franklin

Offline jhansen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2008, 10:55:00 AM »
It's interesting that the same problem is happening with two different bows.  Are the strings made with enough strands for the draw weight of the bows?  Are the bows stored strung and is there any possibility that something is abrading them during storage or transport?  What are the strings made from?  A flemish twist string should be at least as strong and probably a little stronger than an endless loop type.

John
Life is an adventure.  Don't miss it.

Offline 2Blade

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2008, 12:52:00 PM »
I unstring them with a bow stringer and when they are unstrung I slid the string down over the limb. I hang them on my wall laying down with 2 padded hooks so that cant be the cause. I had them made by a guy who knows what poundage im shooting so I dont know really whats causing it. I wish I could take pics
The Stuttering Bowhunter

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2008, 12:59:00 PM »
could just be bad string. Try padding the loops with wool yarn ( can't think of the stuff Terry sells... Brain fart )

Offline Widowbender

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2008, 01:17:00 PM »
Originally posted by mysticguido:
could just be bad string. Try padding the loops with wool yarn ( can't think of the stuff Terry sells... Brain fart )
That would be Bow Hush?

How many strands are in these strings...It kind of sounds like a string issue, to me, because its happened to a couple different bows.

David
David

>>>>--TGMM-Family-of-the-Bow-->

Chatham County Chapter NWTF
Chapel Hill Friends of NRA

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2008, 02:12:00 PM »
That's it Bow Hush..

Offline Stone Knife

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2008, 08:22:00 PM »
I had a Martin Savannah that would eat strings like that, it drove me nuts. I gently filed the string nocks then took a piece of thin rope and some wax and polished the heck out of the grove, I thought the bow would start on fire if you know what I mean, that took care of the problem.
Proverbs 12:27
The lazy do not roast any game,
but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.

John 14:6

Offline 2Blade

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2008, 09:44:00 PM »
I think its just poor string quality. The orignal string that came with the longbow is still shooting fine and its flemish. I had a recurve string for the other one that held up good to for alot of shots til I finnaly replaced it
The Stuttering Bowhunter

Offline LBR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2008, 09:55:00 PM »
The only thing I can think of that wasn't mentioned (at least I don't think it was mentioned) is the string maker could have gotten ahold of a bad spool of material.  It's rare, but it does happen.

Chad

Offline 2Blade

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2008, 12:12:00 AM »
Originally posted by LBR:
The only thing I can think of that wasn't mentioned (at least I don't think it was mentioned) is the string maker could have gotten ahold of a bad spool of material.  It's rare, but it does happen.

Chad
Ive never thought of that it could be cause the strings look great just not very durable I dont want to say anything bad about the guy because he has taken good care of me im just tired of burning through strings.

Here is what im currently looking at I was going to go with the Dacron but I really do like the flemish ones do these strings come served? They dont appear to be in the pic.

http://www.3riversarchery.com/product.asp?i=1515X
The Stuttering Bowhunter

Offline LBR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2008, 09:42:00 AM »
If you haven't already, I'd be sure to contact the stringmaker.  He can't fix it if he doesn't know there's a problem.

I know a bad spool can slip out because I got one several years ago, and every string I made with it had some strands break.  I was really happy to be told about it so I could figure out the problem and replace that spool of material vs. continuing to use it.

Chad

Offline jhansen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2008, 10:10:00 AM »
Why not buy a flemish string jig from 3-Rivers or wherever and make your own strings?  Making a new string takes me about 30 minutes.  There's nothing difficult about it and it's fun.  Cheaper in the long run, too.

John
Life is an adventure.  Don't miss it.

Offline UKarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: August 01, 2008, 01:00:00 PM »
I agree with Chad. Let the stringmaker know about the problem. He can't fix it if he doesn't know about it.

Offline 2Blade

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: August 01, 2008, 04:00:00 PM »
Originally posted by UKarcher:
I agree with Chad. Let the stringmaker know about the problem. He can't fix it if he doesn't know about it.
I let him know last time and he sent me a free string. I just dont want him to think that im trying to sucker strings out of him.
The Stuttering Bowhunter

Offline cdworks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: August 01, 2008, 04:30:00 PM »
yes the three rivers strings are served. they are very good strings too. Go with the flemish they are easier to silence and they look cooler  :D  you will need a 16 strand for that poundage i would think. you can get 2 spools of dacron for about 20 bucks and you can make a jig there are plans everywhere. i haven't did this yet i have strings and backups and dont plan on getting any new bows. i thought about making and selling acouple of strings so i would get my money back for making em.
C.D.Works

Offline 2Blade

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: August 02, 2008, 10:37:00 PM »
How do you make the strings?
The Stuttering Bowhunter

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©