3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Longest Shot?  (Read 523 times)

Offline SouthMDShooter

• Trad Bowhunter
Longest Shot?
« on: July 31, 2008, 01:16:00 PM »
Gettin close to opening day and pretty much all day I catch myself day dreaming about being out in the woods. So in the spirit of opening day approaching,what is the longest shot you guys have killed a big game animal?  And maybe a little story about the hunt.

Mine was only 27 yards, I was in a groundblind i made out of sticks and logs on the side of a hill with a deer path 20 yards below me. Two does and three fawns came up the trail towards my blind and they all around 15 yards but couldnt get a clean shot on one of the does cause they were huddled together. Finally one of the does wanders away from the group and stands broadside, I put the arrow right behind the shoulder center punching the heart. Normally I dont take shots that far out (like to keep it under 20) but I guess I was in predator mode and everything just felt perfect when I dropped the string.

This thread isnt to start anything about ethics, just peoples different experinces.    :archer:
"Two roads diverged in a wood, and I --
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference."
- Robert Frost

Offline Widowbender

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Longest Shot?
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2008, 01:21:00 PM »
With a traditional bow...13 yards   :D    :D ...I've only killed one deer and one turkey...so far   :archer:  

David
David

>>>>--TGMM-Family-of-the-Bow-->

Chatham County Chapter NWTF
Chapel Hill Friends of NRA

Offline Bird Dog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2008, 01:33:00 PM »
I've shot alot of deer--most inside of 15 yards. Twenty two yards was my longest. I've shot several pigs at 30 yds.

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2008, 01:45:00 PM »
With trad gear 8' from my tree. I've only killed one with trad gear. I did hit a nice buck at 14 yards but it was never recovered. I'm convinced he lived.     Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Blackhawk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2008, 02:00:00 PM »
I center-punched a gray squirrel at 48 paces one time--oh, you said big game...but it was a big squirrel.   :bigsmyl:    

I got a 6X5 bull elk in 2002 with a 23 yard shot to the liver as it walked by.  I was so excited I forgot to make him stop, but I followed him up an hour later after he only went 100 yards.
Lon Scott

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2008, 02:10:00 PM »
last year I took my first deer on the ground with long bow, it was 30 yards.Under 20 is my norm. Will I take another 30 yards shot? Maybe, not now any time soon.

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2008, 02:42:00 PM »
My limit is about 25 yards. I prefer 12 to 15 yards. I doubt I would take another shot at 8'. Straight down is not a good shot angle and it is a difficult shot.      Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Steertalker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2008, 02:58:00 PM »
47 yards on a fork-horn buck standing broadside feeding.  The buck took 20 steps after the shot and keeled over dead.  All this after a 3 hour stalk.

Brett
"America is like a healthy body and its resistance is threefold:  its patriotism, its morality and its spiritual like.  If we can undermine these three areas, America will collapse from within."  Joseph Stalin

Offline beachbowhunter

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2008, 03:06:00 PM »
Longest so far is 17 yards on a javalina.
Ishi was a Californian                   :cool:

Online Bowshot

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2008, 03:16:00 PM »
118 yards on a coyote, witnessed, hail mary should have been at the counter buying lottery tickets type of shot. 65 yards on a whitetail that I misjudged the distance on by about twice + a little. I was in a tree, he was downhill in a cutblock across a small wash. The wash was way wider than I gave credit for due to its makeup, steep bank on one side, shallow on the other. The instinctive part kicked in and I was dragging a deer home luckily. I remember thinking that the arrow is taking a long time to cross the 25-30 yards I figured it was. Trotting Caribou at about 45 yards that was to be a practice draw and swing as more caribou were coming, next thing I was locked in on a patch behind his leg and the arrow is arcing into his ribs. He went about 100 yards. I don't estimate yardage for shot making, just to identify my comfort zone if that makes sense. If I draw and it doesn't click, I let down and wait. Most of the other animals have been inside 15 yards which is way better.

Terry

Offline Larry247

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2008, 03:19:00 PM »
I was walking through a pine thicket last year and shot a button buck in an opening at around 35yds.
A trophy is in the eye of the beholder.

Offline BRITTMAN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2008, 04:13:00 PM »
First deer I shot was 22 yards with a recurve , missed it the first shot at 10 yards and it came back so i got to redeem myself on that one . After that first deer all of my kills have been 12 to 17 yards .

Mike
" Live long and prosper "

Offline Missouri Sherpa

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2008, 04:26:00 PM »
My most recent trad kill data :

2005 Whitetail Buck 10 yards shot, heart shot, 40 yards recovery
2006 Black bear  12 yards shot, heart shot,  20 yards recovery
2006 Bull Elk  43 yards shot, heart shot, 80 yards recovery
2006 Whitetail Buck 18 yards shot, double lung, 100 yards recovery
2008 Jackrabbit 30 yards shot, gut shot, pinned to ground, 1yard recovery (shot under him clean miss first shot)
2008 Hog 40 yards shot, heart shot, 10 ft recovery
2008 Black bear  25 yards shot, heart shot, 15 yard recovery

Most other shots prior years are under 20 yards.

Offline Don Stokes

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2008, 08:52:00 PM »
Deer 35, elk 55. After missing him closer.
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.- Ben Franklin

Offline GingivitisKahn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2008, 09:33:00 PM »
Took my first whitetail around 30 yards.  I had been sitting between trail A and B but betting on activity on A.  Of course, a couple came down B and I had no shot.  Figuring there were more to come, I moved to a spot where I could cover B better (standing next to a tree).

At that point a mature doe led her troup down A.  Whatever - I took a shot longer than I probably should have but ended up with a freezer full of good venison.  That's her in my avatar.

:-D

Offline Gehrke145

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2008, 09:58:00 PM »
I shot alot of animals around 40.  I like shooting a little far at a calm animal then close at a jumpy one.

Offline md126

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: August 01, 2008, 12:09:00 PM »
32 yards, whitetail buck.  most opportunities are under 20 though

happened very fast. turned saw buck moving through opening and before i knew it the arrow was in his chest. very instinctive but effective

Offline Joseph

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: August 01, 2008, 02:45:00 PM »
My longest shot at big game that I made was 28 yards on a running whitetail doe!  I have know idea why I swung up and shot after she started running (kinda went into autopilot) but it worked out very well.  Average shot distance is around 16 yards for everything else that is big. Now gophers and prairie dogs are a different story.  I have shot at and hit many of them at 40-60 yards!  Joseph
"Politicians are like diapers, they need to be changed often and for the same reason"

Offline James Wrenn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: August 01, 2008, 03:14:00 PM »
I have taken 6 shots over 30 with the longest at 35yds over the last 30 years.I ate all 6 animals.:)5 were after switching to longbows and recurves and the first was in the 20 years I hunted with wheel bows.
....Quality deer management means shooting them before they get tough....

Offline Schafer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: August 01, 2008, 03:17:00 PM »
I have shot a deer and he was about 19 yards away and i hit both lungs and he only went 30 to 40 yard be for hr crash and died.
“There’s more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun.” - Fred Bear

53@29 Randy Morin Banshee
66@29 Schafer Silvertip

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©