3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Shoulder Shot?  (Read 325 times)

Offline Bakes168

• Trad Bowhunter
Shoulder Shot?
« on: July 31, 2008, 04:35:00 PM »
I was wondering if anyone has ever shot through the shoulder blade?
A couple of guys I went shooting with yesterday made a big deal about shoulder shots, and how bad they were. I figured a two blade might just bust through if the bow was heavy enough.

A friend of mine made a shoulder shot with a really light wheelie bow and the arrow just stuck in the shoulder blade and the deer ran away.

What do you guys think? Is it really bad if you hit the shoulder blade or does the arrow usually punch through?
Stories, info?

Thanks
Bakes  :)
"A hunt based only on trophies taken falls short of what the ultimate goal should be...time to commune with your inner soul as you share the outdoors with the birds, animals, and fish that live there"
-Fred Bear

James 2:19-20

USMC Infantry

Offline robtattoo

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Shoulder Shot?
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2008, 04:48:00 PM »
Popcorn anyone  ;)   :D
"I came into this world, kicking, screaming & covered in someone else's blood. I have no problem going out the same way"

PBS & TBT Member

>>---TGMM, Family of the Bow--->

Online frassettor

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2008, 04:55:00 PM »
Originally posted by robtattoo:
Popcorn anyone   ;)     :D  
:biglaugh:    :biglaugh:   Here we go!
"Everything's fine,just fine". Dad

Offline Bakes168

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2008, 05:06:00 PM »
Just to be clear I am talking about a broadside shot or a slightly quarting towards you shot. Just wanted to make sure   ;)  

Bakes
"A hunt based only on trophies taken falls short of what the ultimate goal should be...time to commune with your inner soul as you share the outdoors with the birds, animals, and fish that live there"
-Fred Bear

USMC Infantry

Offline Steertalker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2008, 05:21:00 PM »
Bakes,

My son shot a pretty nice buck about 2 years ago and was able to get full penetration on the near side shoulder blade and just barely punch the tip of his BH through the off side shoulder blade.  He shoots a 73 lb Brack Quest using Easton Axis ST 300's with Magnus I BH's.  Mind you...this was a big bodied buck for our area.

It is [not] a shot that you would do on purpose.  In my experience the outcome has never been good.  But for my son it worked...that time.

Don't do it!!!!

Brett

Brett
"America is like a healthy body and its resistance is threefold:  its patriotism, its morality and its spiritual like.  If we can undermine these three areas, America will collapse from within."  Joseph Stalin

Offline Larry247

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2008, 05:23:00 PM »
I would avoid it if at all possible.
A trophy is in the eye of the beholder.

Offline jhansen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2008, 05:25:00 PM »
Not a shot I'd take.  Why run the risk of wounding a fine animal?

John
Life is an adventure.  Don't miss it.

Offline Scooter Trash

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2008, 05:37:00 PM »
In 2001 I made a poor shot on a black bear ( a little forward).  The bear was recovered about 45 yards from where it was shot. The Wensel Woodsman went through the shoulderblade and stuck in the off side leg.  There was no blood trail to follow with no exit wound. Everything worked out for me but,  I would never try a shoulder shot on purpose. Same thing goes for a head shot or front briscut.

Offline tradwannabe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2008, 05:44:00 PM »
i'd suggest you read up on Dr Ed's research. It's not the bow.

Offline Dave Lay

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2008, 05:54:00 PM »
I have hit a few in the shoulder, over 30 years or so, the scapula is fairly easy to shoot through, but if ya get the joint, nothing is goin through that. Not a shot to try intenionaly and ya should steer clear of it if possible, I am shootin a 63lb bow and 600 gr arrows, zwickeys. one a couple years ago only got a few inches of penetration, maybe to the back of the broadhead, something not to be proud of, I was gonna shoot her walkin at 10 yds and she stopped when I released..hitting her solid in the shoulder joint..  kinda depends on where ya hit it..as said earlier the scapula is fairly easy to shoot through..  But STAY off the shoulder if ya can..
Compton traditional bowhunters
PBS regular
Traditional bowhunters of Arkansas
I live to bowhunt!!!
60” Widow SAV recurve 54@28
60” Widow KBX recurve 53@27
64” DGA longbow 48@27

Online pdk25

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2008, 06:03:00 PM »
Not again.

Offline pintail_drake2004

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2008, 06:13:00 PM »
i shot a doe this last year with a magnus stinger 2 blade went through the right shoulder, lungs, top of heart, and through the left leg bone. She didnt go far. However the BH was no longer usable.

Offline Bakes168

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2008, 06:31:00 PM »
I'm not really asking if a shot like this should be made. I was wondering what the outcome would be if this happened. I would never shoot for the shoulder either.

Bakes
-Fred Bear

USMC Infantry

Offline Scott J. Williams

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2008, 09:05:00 PM »
While it is not a shot I try to make, I prefer to get in as close to the shoulder as possible.  Having said that, there has been about a half a dozen times over the years when my arrow hit that area.

I have always gotten at least as deep at the off shoulder on those shots, and heavy draw weight has not been a factor.  I have gotten about the same results when I was shooting seventy pounds, as I do with sixty and fifty.  

I can honestly say that my blood trails on those shots have been fairly short, and that I have not lost an animal on that shot.  

Can I say that I would suggest this shot, the answer is no!  There are better shots to be had!  That is why a well tuned bow, good sturdy razor sharp broad heads of strong constitution, along with good tracking skills, a blessing for God go along way.
Black Widow SAV Recurve 60inch "Ironwood" 62@28
Black Widow PLX longbow 62inch "Osage" 52@26

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2008, 09:11:00 PM »
If you put an arrow thru the shoulder blade from ground level,  which organ are you goona hope to slice ?

If you put it thru both shoulder blades ?

From quartering toward ?

Look at all that wide open space just above the elbow (broadside picture).  Right behind this area is the center of the heart and lungs

Shoulder shots are really not such a great thing.
ChuckC

Offline J-dog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2008, 09:13:00 PM »
Not something you try to do, hitting a shoulder. Not a shot you would take, but even broadside if you pull the shot you are liable to get it. Practice, practice, practice for the best, but plan for the worst! Plus I like tucking in to it as tight as I can anyway.

our WTs are small and I can get through the thin part of the blade fairly easy, but as has been said the thick stuff can stop alot. Still trying to get a Ashby arrow, or near bouts enought to stack a little odds to my favor.

Read Doc Ashby's reports they are very informative. and will help you answer your question. In fac they address alot of your question specifically.

Jason Baker
Always be stubborn.

Captain hindsight to the rescue!

Offline Bakes168

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: July 31, 2008, 09:28:00 PM »
Chuck- Guess I need to stidy up on my deer anatomy!  :eek:  

I have often given thought to reading the Ashby reports, but they are extremely long and my eyes hurt after I read on the computor for a while.....plus I am just lazy  :rolleyes:  

Bakes
-Fred Bear

USMC Infantry

Offline rybohunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: July 31, 2008, 09:36:00 PM »
I've busted plenty of shoulders with compound gear(opposite shoulders) I have put arrows thru the flat part and down into the vitals on some real tight in shots from elevation.
Hopefully I'll never have to deal with a near side shoulder shot with my longbow.

Offline KSdan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: July 31, 2008, 09:53:00 PM »
Lost two, got one.  The one I got, penetrated the spine- dropping him- a quick follow up into the lungs after he hit the ground kept him down.

Not a good shot situation either way.

Only problem with the skeleton is the blade actaully "floats" on a live deer as the leg moves.  The blade actually floats down as the leg moves FORWARD.  I hear guys wating for the leg to move forward- but you would be better off shooting right above the leg/elbow joint as the front leg moves BACK.

Again- I would rather stay away from the blade.  Stay low just above the elbow and you won't have to worry.  By the way- right above the elbow is a strong protruding muscle.  Shoot through that ball of muscle.

Dan
If we're not supposed to eat animals ... how come they're made out of meat? ~anon

Bears can attack people- although fewer people have been killed by bears than in all WWI and WWII combined.

Offline Minuteman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: August 01, 2008, 07:46:00 AM »
There sure is alot of air around a squirrel...eeyup.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©