3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Broadhead question??  (Read 128 times)

Offline lowell

• Trad Bowhunter
Broadhead question??
« on: July 31, 2008, 04:49:00 PM »
Was looking through some old broadheads a friend had given me with the idea of making some squirrel arrows.  (I don't like blunts for squirrel, seen too many walk away after a hit.)

These 2 are what I think I may use.  The one made me wonder if it was intended for small game or??  The none pointed one says Hills Hornet on it and seems it would not be good for deer or anything but small game. The other(dark one) just has an H stamped in the steel.

Anyone know of the original purpose of these?
Don't fix it till you break it!!

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Broadhead question??
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2008, 04:53:00 PM »
The green seams to be a Howard hill small game BH, the other one looks like a snuffer, but could be a hill BH looking at the pin holes. I may be wrong.

Offline Fletcher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2008, 06:05:00 PM »
Both of these are 60's vintage broadheads, a Hills Hornet and a Hi Precision.  This model Hornet was designed for small game, but they were mostly made with a regular point and used for big game.  Good heads, well respected and used in their day.  Neither had any connection to Howard Hill.
Good judgement comes from experience.  Experience comes from bad judgement.

"The next best thing to playing and winning is playing and losing."

"An archer doesn't have to be a bowhunter, but a bowhunter should be an archer."

Offline aromakr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2008, 06:55:00 PM »
The broadheads shown were made in the 1950. The High percision  was made in Iowa by the High Percision company and was intended for hunting large game and was a quality head. The Hills Hornet was made by Ralph Hill in Wisconsin in also the 1950's and is a target point intended for use in the NFAA animal round. The dubbed point and rounded shoulders reduced penetration in hay bales and allowed for easy removal. It should make a great squirrel head.
Bob
Man must "believe" in something!  I "believe" I will go hunting-----

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©