3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: help me choose an arrow finish/sealer  (Read 313 times)

Offline tradwannabe

• Trad Bowhunter
help me choose an arrow finish/sealer
« on: July 31, 2008, 05:13:00 PM »
Hi all,
i need help choosing an arrow finish/sealer that does not require dip tubes or ordering stuff from archery suppliers. It needs to be hurricane proof from rain. Is oil varnish my best choice? all the water based minwax products are listed as "interior" use.

Offline jhansen

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: help me choose an arrow finish/sealer
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2008, 05:22:00 PM »
Birchwood Casey Tru Oil will work.  Can be applied with a fingertip and if it gets scratched you can steel wool the area and put a little more on.

John
Life is an adventure.  Don't miss it.

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2008, 05:26:00 PM »
what he said. I also like to just use wipe on poly

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2008, 05:36:00 PM »
If I want to increase the weight by 60 grains I use Raptor dip, a water based durable finish that won't stink up the house or hurt anyone with fumes.
If the shafting is at the weight I want I use Tru-Oil it is very weather proof and gives a beautiful finish.

Offline Fletcher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2008, 05:57:00 PM »
Nothing is totally waterproof, except maybe the "Massey" finish, but the oil base polyurethanes are the best I've found.  Minwax Fast Dry is what I currently use.  You can just wipe it on straight from the can.

Don't worry about the water base polys if you want to use them.  The interior use means that they don't have UV inhibitors in them.  I've used Varathane water borne finish with great results and many have had similar luck with the Minwax Polycrylic.  Not as durable as the oil finish maybe, but it's easy to wipe on a new coat.  Spar finishes tend to be softer than the regular polys.
Good judgement comes from experience.  Experience comes from bad judgement.

"The next best thing to playing and winning is playing and losing."

"An archer doesn't have to be a bowhunter, but a bowhunter should be an archer."

Offline tradwannabe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2008, 06:36:00 PM »
"Massey finish"???? what's that? I've shot alum inum almost exclusively so please be patient with me.

Offline frankwright

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2008, 11:23:00 PM »
I have always dipped the Minwax Polyacrylic. It seems to seal well, goes on easily and everything cleans up with water.

Offline JEFF B

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2008, 11:32:00 PM »
TRU OIL!!  :thumbsup:
'' sometimes i wake up Grumpy;
other times i let her sleep"

TGMM FAMILY OF THE BOW

Offline fyrfyter43

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2008, 05:09:00 AM »
Massey finish is a mix of acetone and 2-part epoxy. I don't remember the proportions (it varies depending on who you ask), but if you search here on the Pow-Wow, you'll find it.

As for the original question, I used Helmsman spar urethane on the last set of arras I made up, and have to say that it seems pretty durable. It is slightly yellow, so it will darken your arras slightly. The last set I made (ash) I gave away to another TradGanger - he says they look like osage.   :bigsmyl:
"In the joy of hunting is intimately woven the love of the great outdoors. The beauty of woods, valleys, mountains, and skies feeds the soul of the sportsman where the quest of game only whets his appetite." ~ Saxton Pope

Offline LBR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2008, 05:51:00 AM »
Epoxy finish--simple to apply, cheap, everything you need can be bought at a hardware store or Wal-Mart, and it's the toughest finish I've ever seen.  Here's the "recipie". (Tom is a friend of mine)

Tom Kiessling's process for making wooden arrows using the epoxy/acetone finish.

1) First thing I do is stain shafts.  I usually use aniline dyes from Gray Ghost Archery, but any stain will usually work.  I only stain to where the stain and crown will meet.

2) After stain dries, using 0000 steelwool to remove any raised grain, then stain again if necessary to achieve desired color.

3) If I don't have any epoxy formula made up, I use the following procedure for that.

*I purchase Devcon 2-ton epoxy and a can of acetone from Wal-Mart in the paint section.  I use a 4 ounce jar (baby food or mason jelly jar) to squirt the entire contents of epoxy in to.  I then completely mix the 2 epoxy parts until clear.  I then add 1 ounce of acetone (1/2 jar) and stir until the epoxy appears to have disssolved and looks only like acetone remains.  I then fill the jar with acetone and stir again for a few seconds.*

4) Applied one coat of epoxy as described next.

*Always wear chemical resistant gloves, I use the blue Nitrate gloves that the tools trucks (Snap-On, Mac) sell to local automotive and    diesel garage mechanics.  I use small cotton rags from t-shirts.

Hold arrow at nock or point end, make one long continuous swipe from end to end.  Then rotate shaft 180 degrees and do again. (Do not attempt to double wipe on same side, the rag will stick to the first coat).

5) After epoxy dries, check for raised grain.  Remove if needed.

6) Apply a second coat of epoxy.

7) I will mark the shafts for my crown.  I use 2 inch masking tape at the crown line.  I then spray the crowns on, (I usually use Krylon enamels, and usually 2 coats will be enough).  **If you are going to use fluorescent colors, always spray a basecoat of white first.**

8) After crown dries, apply cresting lines (Testors model paints work great).

9) After crown and cresting are COMPLETELY dry, spray or brush the crown and crestings with a thin coat of Min Wax Water Based Polyacyrlic (blue can).  I prefer to brush mine on while shaft is in my crester.  (I use an Arrow Specialties crester).

10) After poly dries, apply second coat.

11) After letting poly dry an hour, apply first coat of epoxy over entire shaft.  Make sure to check wiping rag for paint residue after first arrow to insure that acetone is not attacking cresting and crown. If paint is being attacked, crest the arrow if needed, and give another coat of poly over all arrows.  Some paint will show up from the nock end where there wasn't any epoxy.

12) If all is ok, I will usually put on 5 to 7 coats of epoxy, make sure to smooth out finish very lightly with 0000 steel wool between all coats.

13) I then set nocks using Duco cement, and mount feathers with either Bohning Fletch Tape or regular super glues (not the gel stuff). I prefer the tape.  This makes for easy feather repair if needed.  Make sure to remove any excess epoxy from the nock taper first, the cement will stick better.  I do this with the small blade of my pocket knife.

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2008, 08:09:00 AM »
loading pic's to photo now... They do look like Osage.

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2008, 08:11:00 AM »

Sorry for the bad pic's... Day started off really bad, I don't see it getting any better.

Offline NightHawk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2008, 11:34:00 AM »
profin
[Gloss Specs | MSDS] [Satin Specs | MSDS]Exceptionally durable hard drying, quick set oil finish. Easy to apply, it produces a professional finish, and is often used where spraying is not practical. ProFin is recommended on furniture, cabinets, doors, millwork and paneling. Can be used on reasonably protected exterior surfaces such as doors. 2-3 coats suggested. Compatible with most stains.

Key Benefits
Interior
Interior woodwork and furniture
Cabinets and millwork
Protected exterior applications
1) Gen. 21:20
And God was with the lad, he grew, and he dwelt in the wilderness, and he became an archer
2)The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline skillet

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2008, 03:09:00 PM »
Tru-Oil?  Really? Straight from the can? Wow. I need to try that one.  Way too simple.
R.C. Evans
Blacksmith & Bladesmith Apprentice. Chaser of deer and squirrels. Builder of mediocre bows and some nice arrows. "I've never been lost, but have been might misplaced on occassion."

Offline Froggy

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2008, 03:22:00 PM »
Tru Oil. 2 or 3 coats with the fingertips. And
Duco glue for the feathers. Duco at Wal Mart is about a buck a tube....

Froggy
TGMM  >>>>---------> Family of the bow

Offline skillet

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2008, 08:08:00 PM »
Every time I go to a WalMart, I buy all the Duco they have on the shelves. Usually 4-5 tubes. Funny looks at the checkout counter.I'll try the truoil this weekend on some POC shafts.
R.C. Evans
Blacksmith & Bladesmith Apprentice. Chaser of deer and squirrels. Builder of mediocre bows and some nice arrows. "I've never been lost, but have been might misplaced on occassion."

Online SuperK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: August 01, 2008, 10:12:00 PM »
Yep, Tru Oil and Duco...'bout as easy as it gets.  Been using for years.  Works great.
They exchanged the truth of GOD for a lie,and worshiped and served created things rather than the Creator-who is forever praised.Amen Romans 1:25 NIV

Offline WESTBROOK

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: August 01, 2008, 10:39:00 PM »
Minwax Hellmsman Spar Urethane, dip or foam brush it.

Eric

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©