3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Need help on a bow choice decision???  (Read 316 times)

Offline Oliverstacy

• Trad Bowhunter
Need help on a bow choice decision???
« on: July 31, 2008, 07:35:00 PM »
Need some advice…I have a Savannah longbow that is 50@28 drawn to around 29.5” and a Kota Kill-um that is 46 @ 29.5”, I feel I shoot them both well to around 20 yards.

Now the big decision…I have an order in for another Kota Kill-um that will be 54 @ 29”.  I’m wondering if I should go with their 3 piece longbow instead.  I’m looking for travel down the road so that is weighing on my mind.  The 3 piece model would be great for that plus I could order different weight limbs down the road if I need to.  All in the plus side.

But I shoot the Kill-um I have very well and like the looks and handling of this bow, that was a major reason for ordering another.  I have until the first of December to decide what I want to do.

So would you order another Kill-um in the heavier weight or would you purchase a Prairie Nomad 3 piece?  They have a very similar grip so I’m sure I could shoot it well with some time on the range.

Price is $100 more but I’m not considering that in the equation.  I selling a lot of stuff so the cost difference isn’t going to be a problem.

Thanks,

Josh
Custom Flemish Strings by Oliverstacy!  
Kanati 60" 57@29"
AP Cumberland 66" 58@29"
WhisperStik KajikaStik 56" Recurve with Canebrakes...57@28"
WhisperStik KajikaStik aka "Wormy" RC & LB,both 55@29"
Martin Savannah 50@28"
Kota Kill-um 55@28"

Offline buckster

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Need help on a bow choice decision???
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2008, 07:42:00 PM »
You'll probably be remiss if you don't order the 3-piece and they are extremely useful in your future travel plans.

Just follow your instincts here as it appears you have already established your need for the take-down and $100 is very well worth it.  Just my 2 cents.
"Carpe Carp" ... Seize the fish.

Offline pdk25

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2008, 07:43:00 PM »
Heard nothing but good things about the Kota bows.  I'm not sure that I understand your question.  I don't know anything about the 3 piece Prairie bow.  It sounds as if you have decided to get a 3 piece bow already, so if you already like the Kill-um it sounds like that would be the way to go to me.  Easy transition for the grip.  Either way you go you are going to have extra weight to deal with in a 3-piece.

Offline PrarrieDog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2008, 07:47:00 PM »
If you don't have a take down bow then you need one.  ;)  
Prarrie Dog

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2008, 07:48:00 PM »
When you travel, will it be by air or ground?  If the latter, no need to go to a 3-piece takedown.  However, if you plan to fly, a 3-piece takedown is nice to have.  I fly with longbows which I stuff into PVC pipes.  Can't really do that with a one-piece recurve.  Since you already have some one-pieces that work well for you, might want to consider a 3-piece to give you more flexibility.  Good luck.

Offline Apex Predator

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2008, 08:50:00 PM »
The three piece will feel like a compound compared to the one piece!  I prefer a light weight Hill style long bow and anything else is cumbersome to me.
I didn't claw my way to the top of the food chain to eat vegetables!

Offline Oliverstacy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2008, 09:17:00 PM »
Originally posted by Apex Predator:
The three piece will feel like a compound compared to the one piece!  I prefer a light weight Hill style long bow and anything else is cumbersome to me.
This is on thing I've liked about the one piece bows...they are very light.  It's a tuff call...I really like my Kill-um so I'm really torn.  I know I will like the one I have on order, there is no question about that.  It will just be a higher poundage bow than my current Kota.

Just too many decisions to make...at least I have time.

Josh
Custom Flemish Strings by Oliverstacy!  
Kanati 60" 57@29"
AP Cumberland 66" 58@29"
WhisperStik KajikaStik 56" Recurve with Canebrakes...57@28"
WhisperStik KajikaStik aka "Wormy" RC & LB,both 55@29"
Martin Savannah 50@28"
Kota Kill-um 55@28"

Offline Holm-Made

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2008, 08:10:00 AM »
My opinion is buy the bow you like and will enjoy shooting the most.  There's no reason you can't travel with a one piece bow.  People do it all the time.  Chad

Offline HATCHCHASER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2008, 08:54:00 AM »
Put a 3 peice in your hand first.  I like the feel of a light one peice but the extra weight of the 3 peice is more stable in the hand imho.  I shoot the 3 peice more accurately.  It takes more movement to move something heavier and that means the bow arm doesn't move as much.  I would advise to always shoot a bow before you buy one.  None of my 3 peice bows feel like a wheelie bow.
It's not the arrival, it's the journey.

Offline BobW

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2008, 10:16:00 AM »
I know nothing of the bows you are discussing, but I do ask this question:  Can you get that 1-piece made with a bow bolt?

With that system, you get reduced size (half, not thirds), but the weight/feel of your current 1-piece.
"A sagittis hungarorum libera nos Domine"
>>---TGMM-Family-of-the-Bow--->
Member: Double-T Archery Club, Amherst, NY
St. Judes - $100k for 2010 - WE DID IT!!!!

Offline blueline

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2008, 10:36:00 AM »
Josh I just picked up a 2 piece long bow that I really like. I have had longbows in the past and did travel with them. I also like shoting the 3 piece and take down recurves as well, I just started with a Mahaska 2 piece this time.
Blueline

Mahaska  66" 47 @ 29
Morrison 58" 54 @ 28
Bear grizzly 58" 45@28

Offline donw

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2008, 10:49:00 AM »
see if they'll make you a two piece take down...a two piece should be as light as a one piece or the weight difference should be negiligable.
i was told by a sales person, when purchasing an out-of-date newpaper that it was out-of-date...

i told her "i've been told i'm out-of-date, too"...

does that mean i'm up-to-date?

Offline Apex Predator

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2008, 10:53:00 AM »
I didn't mean to insult any three piece owners with my "will feel like a compound" comment.  A lot of folks prefer extra heft.
I didn't claw my way to the top of the food chain to eat vegetables!

Offline NightHawk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2008, 01:41:00 PM »
second the bow-bolt option!! Gives you the best of both worlds
1) Gen. 21:20
And God was with the lad, he grew, and he dwelt in the wilderness, and he became an archer
2)The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline HATCHCHASER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2008, 08:11:00 AM »
Apex, didn't mean to sound offended by my rebuttle comment about the 3 peice.  No offense taken at all.  I love my one peice bows, just seem to shoot the heavier ones better.  I'd like to get my hands on one of those Hill's but I am afraid I would have to buy another bow!
It's not the arrival, it's the journey.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©