3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: The moment of epiphany (now with pics!)  (Read 204 times)

Offline wihill

• Trad Bowhunter
The moment of epiphany (now with pics!)
« on: July 31, 2008, 08:36:00 PM »
I've been working hard, keeping a journal of all the things that come together during the shot.  What stance works best, position of shoulders, position of hand/grip, position of wrist.

Tried carbon vs aluminum arrows, different spines, different point weight, different feathers.  Wrote everything down.

I tried gloves, and three different tabs.  Different material on the tabs.  Different finger positions, different anchor points.  Everything went into the journal.  

I've reviewed, tweaked, and analyzed everything I could, and today it payed off.

I was so extactic I actually jumped in the air and raised my bow.  It probably won't happen again for a while, but it really made my day and proved to me that everything I've been working for is truely coming around.

25yards, with a 4" group.  The only reason it was 4" and not smaller was from the flyer, the rest were all stacked on one another.  Lasers at 42#.

I'd totally use these arrows for hunting (GT XH 3355 @ 28" 225gr tip) if they weren't 0.5" short.  Went out and bought three more, going to try and adjust the tip weight vs shaft length to hold the spine, but man am I excited.  

Poor compounds aren't coming out to play as often now, the recurve's out daily.  At first I was worried I might not be ready to take the trad bow out hunting, but now I've got more than enough resolve to make it happen.    :D  

Why did I pick up a trad bow?  Why?  All I want to do is buy another one now...     :knothead:  

Happy shooting!

:archer:
Support the sport!

Offline The Baron

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: The moment of epiphany (now with pics!)
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2008, 08:53:00 PM »
Congratulations on your success!   :cool:    I agree - shooting a traditional bow well is far more pleasing than doing the same with a compound.  I have owned compuonds in the past, but never experienced the satisfaction that I do shooting my longbow.
You can't be a leader of you don't know where you're going.

Offline Son of Texas

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2008, 09:58:00 PM »
Congrats on your success I'd would jump up in the air to with a group like that at 25 yards.   :thumbsup:    :clapper:

Offline Keith361

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2008, 10:04:00 PM »
Man,oh man! This is really kind of wierd for me. I was just shooting again tonight and was actually thinking about posting about my terrible grouping.

I've been shooting for about 5 years now, and just about everything that I know, with the exception of what Charlie (stringstretcher) has taught me, has been self learned.

I wish I could consistently get groups like that!
I can throw a water bottle out in the yard and hit, or graze it, from around 20 yards, but on the mark every time...forget it.

I know that I'm not using back tension like I should, I snap shoot, I don't have a consistent anchor.

Not relly sure if I'm ready to get into the woods with the longbow yet for big game. I've taken a good number of groundhogs with it over the past few years, missed plenty too, but I just want to make sure I do everything right.

Great job on your success!

Keith
"If there must be trouble then let it be in my day, that my children may live in peace."   Thomas Paine
"Courage is being scared to death, but saddeling up anyway"
John Wayne

Offline madness522

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2008, 06:35:00 AM »
Nice group!!  Now the trick is to do that every time.  And that is the hard part about shooting a stickbow.  One day you're a nock busting, tight grouping shooter and the next day you can't hit the barn wall shooting from inside.
Barry Clodfelter
TGMM Family of the Bow.

Offline Dutchman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2008, 07:37:00 AM »
Great success story. Wish I could do as well.

My congratulations to you!
Remember the Alamo!

Offline upatree

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2008, 01:25:00 PM »
Originally posted by madness522:
Nice group!!  Now the trick is to do that every time.  And that is the hard part about shooting a stickbow.  One day you're a nock busting, tight grouping shooter and the next day you can't hit the barn wall shooting from inside.
Man aint that the truth  :banghead:
Treat others as you would want to be treated.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©