3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: When do you start getting "ready"?????  (Read 401 times)

Offline woodchucker

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
When do you start getting "ready"?????
« on: August 01, 2008, 10:29:00 PM »
OK, I know we're all traditional bowhunters and that we practice all year round to "keep sharp".....

But, Summer is coming to an end,and fall will be here before we know it. When do you start to get ready,and what exactly do you DO?????

I usualy don't shoot with a bow quiver on,but the last few years I have been hunting with a Selway "soft-kote" slip on bow quiver.

Well, tonight I'm gonna "soap-up" the limbs of my Mikuta longbow and slide the quiver on,where it will stay untill after Shawn's Bunny Hunt in Febuary.

Also, I mostly shoot wood arrows. However.....I have about 2 dozen "Autumn Orange" XX75 2016's that belonged to my very good friend who "passed on" a few years ago. My good friend Joe Skipp crown dipped,re-fletched,and crested them for me. I have a dozen tipped with old green Bear Razorheads put away in a box that are my "hunting arrows" the rest are practice arrows.

So there you have it.....I put on the bow quiver,break out the aluminiums and start practicing!!!!!

(then about Oct 1st. I break out the hunting clothes and spray them down with "permetherin" to ward off the ticks)   ;)

So what do YOU do?????
I only shoot WOOD arrows... My kid makes them, fast as I can break them!

There is a fine line between Hunting, & Sitting there looking Stupid...

May The Great Spirit Guide Your Arrows..... Happy Hunting!!!

Offline Jeff Roberts

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: When do you start getting "ready"?????
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2008, 10:48:00 PM »
Well down here in Ga. something is always in season to hunt so I keep in hunting shape and focus year round. It was hot today (mid 90's) but was still able to find some hogs although no shot. I to look forward to October and cool weather and sitting in a tree. I need the rest.
Living and hunting with a traditional mindset.

Offline Rico

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2008, 11:29:00 PM »
I've been doing a little and thought about shooting before going to work but thats as far as I got.
  When its in the air You will be able to feel and smell fall coming here in NY thats when the pace really starts picking up.

Offline Flatshooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2008, 11:35:00 PM »
I'm hanging stands (late this year) shooting almost every day, glassing the fields and dreaming of big bucks under my stand.

Offline Jim Picarelli

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2008, 12:24:00 AM »
I'll make a string for my go-to bow soon and shoot that in,probably make a new set of arrows up,and next week I'll start shooting some broadheads
67" Hill Tembo, 50@27
67" Hill Half Breed, 53@27
66" Hill Redman, 48@27
66" Hill Cheetah, 55@27
66" Hill Big Five, 50@27

Offline Jmatt1957

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2008, 06:42:00 AM »
never not ready. I keep all hunting clothes washed and as scent free as possible in plastic tots. Quiver is always on my bow and shoot broad heads at least once a month (?) just to make sure they fly ok.I shoot my bow 5-6 days a week year round and have a latter stand in my yard to shoot out of.

Offline Ian johnson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2008, 06:46:00 AM »
I've already checked the area I hunted last year, still looks good, I have three bows I plan to hunt with this year, lots of practicing, come october I rabbit hunt until deer season starts, I also found a place that I cant hunt deer on, buts its overrun with hogs  :bigsmyl:
ARTAC member
53@29 sheepeater shaman recurve
52@29 66 bear grizzly
51@29 dryad orion td longbow

Online Tom

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2008, 06:52:00 AM »
Shooting my broadheads from different arrows to see which combo does best, next will be sharpen them all up. Stands are up, except for one, so its just clothes that need to be washed and dried outside.
 But it is STILL 2 months away.
The essence of the hunt for me is to enter nature and observe+ return safely occasionally with the gift of a life taken.

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2008, 06:53:00 AM »
I'm ready the day after the season closes, but I'll shoot more from my tree stands, I'll take long slow walks in the back woods (3 acres) to help to get ready.

Offline Arwin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2008, 08:05:00 AM »
I scout pretty much year round and do as much shooting as possible. I try to hunt anything thats in season this time of year. I don't think it ever ends,LOL!
 I hang my stands in September and don't go back till opening day. A few days before opener, I wash all my stuff and store them in a scent free bag. I get all my calls and scent together as well as knives and flashlight with new batteries. I have a rubber tote I keep my clothes in outside and it doesn't come in until the season is over.
 I try to stay in shape all year too. I get kinda lazy between January through turkey them pick it up around June. Gotta be able to drag them deer!!
Just one more step please!

Some dude with a stick and string chasing things.

Offline snag

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2008, 12:37:00 PM »
Opening day for deer and elk here in Oregon is the end of August! Can't wait. I have been putting in miles of hill climbing. I also shoot everyday all year. I have been putting my "stuff" together for loading the backpack. I was my clothes with a scent blocker and then put them in bags with fir boughs. Sometimes as I drive around town to appts. I have an elk calling CD in the truck, a bugle in my mouth, and making cow and bull sounds!!! Get some pretty interesting looks from people around me...oh well!
Isaiah 49:2...he made me a polished arrow and concealed me in his quiver.

Offline unregistered

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2008, 12:51:00 PM »
This will be my first season hunting with a bow and I find myself shooting, scouting, and becoming so ansy that I drive my wife nuts. The waiting is the worst, especially this year since I found a beutiful funnel between two oxbows that is covered in Moose sign in every direction. On the three occasions I have snuck in I have seen a Bull every time, and heard more than one mystery animal crashing through. I just hope my sanity lasts these next 23 days till season opener.

Offline Larry247

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2008, 01:38:00 PM »
I'm about ready to start putting quivers on my bows now, even though it is a little early hear.
A trophy is in the eye of the beholder.

Offline John3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2008, 01:52:00 PM »
To get ready for Missouri archery opening day Sept. 15th....

Every July I buy my tags(this is a personal tradition that I started years ago).

Buy a dz new POC's and get them worked. I shoot about everyday anyway and put these new arrows in my rotation to weed out "flyers"..

Scout one long day at the end of August, taking alot of time trying not to push any deer. Sharpen my "go to" broadheads and wait for opening morning.  This year is a bit different as I have an Antelope hunt happening in SD in a few weeks. My hunting combo (plus a back up combo) is tuned to perfection and camo has been picked for the Antelope trip. All should go well then I get home to scout for deer.

Good luck out there this season.

John III
"There is no excellence in Archery without great labor".  Maurice Thompson 1879

Professional Bowhunters Society--Regular Member
United Bowhunters of Missouri
Compton Life Member #333

Offline billy shipp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2008, 02:34:00 PM »
I've hung a few stands in new areas, trimmed a few new and old shooting lanes, mowed walk paths to some of the stands so i can get in and out without leaving any more scent than necessary, and I've been shooting broadheads from a ladder stand for bout a month now...I'm ready....just waiting on opening day.

Offline Hot Hap

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2008, 04:31:00 AM »
I was born ready! Hap

Offline sweet old bill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: August 03, 2008, 05:53:00 AM »
Now when I live in Walden NY and worked in Fiskill NY I would start getting ready always in the first week of Sept after labor day weekend. I would then start taking my wood arrows with blunts and start doing a lot more stump shooting in the areas I planned on hunting that fall. I had the fun of stumping and also at the same time could be scouting new or old areas for current deer sight. Now being retired ( old fart ) i feel I am always getting ready. I shoot a few arrows daily and shoot 3D course of 44 targets 2 times a week, I also will take a walk weekly with cedars and blunts to stump shoot. I no longer am a tree stand hunter, but have put in one new blind this year and also have checked out 3 other old blinds spots for current year usage. I have to find a BH target to shoot my new carbon into and see how the BH will fly. I guess I am now just waiting for another opening day. My biggest lost is my hunt buddy passed away from cancer and have not found another buddy to hunt with. It was a lot more fun when we would do all the things together to get that fine edge to our shooting and the plans for another year of hunting.

Bill
you should see how I use to shoot
Sand dune archers Myrtle beach SC
Senior archers of Oneonta NY

Offline goodolboy94

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: August 03, 2008, 07:30:00 AM »
im ready for opening day in missouri now got stands hung all im waiting on is the calender
every mourn brought forth a noble chance, and every chance brought forth a noble knight-wiston churchhill

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: August 03, 2008, 08:49:00 AM »
I shoot my hunting set-up year round. I even shoot broadheads quite a bit all year. It keeps me sharp. I normally hang and cut out my stands all year as well, doing a few each week. This year I have not been to one stand site and I have well over 60 stands to get ready. This is down from a high of 102. My son-in-law and I can get them done in 2 weekends working non-stop! Shawn
Shawn

Offline wtpops

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: August 03, 2008, 10:33:00 AM »
I hunt hogs all year round, havent hunted deer in some 15 years so i guess im on the go and ready all year round.

To keep sharp i attend 3d shoots all year, about 6 to 9 a year, depending on hunnydos and hunting. Puls i like the competion and the people you meet.
TGMM Family of the Bow
"OVERTHINKING" The art of creating problems that weren't even there!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©