3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Why not do it yourself  (Read 918 times)

Offline leatherneck

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Why not do it yourself
« Reply #40 on: August 10, 2008, 02:35:00 AM »
Rick,
I just said that a guide will help UP the odds for those who wish. I don't consider a DIY hunt just walking through the woods with my bow. I would not hunt if I did not feel I had a chance to harvest the animal that I'm hunting. I just feel that I don't HAVE to kill to have a good time and enjoy the hunt. Guides are not a bad thing nor was I stating this. I just think some people would rather a guide put them in front of the animal instead of them trying to hunt it themselves. To each his own.

Mike
“I can accept failure, everyone fails at something. But I can’t accept not trying"

Proud shareholder of MK,LLC

Offline Gehrke145

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: August 10, 2008, 07:23:00 PM »
Wow this thread is crazy!  I cant believe how many anti guide guys are on here.  I guided for a few years and met alot of great people.  A guided hunt teaches you alot, and just helps you narrow down the area for game and learn how to hunt a new animal (well thats how I look at it).

Offline Buckeye Trad Hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: August 10, 2008, 07:30:00 PM »
Anyone ever think about picking up a book?  The most positive things I've heard about guided hunts is how much you can learn.  Don't get me wrong I know there are things you can't learn without experiencing them, but there's a lot you can learn from reading as well.  Guided or not to each his own but you can learn from books.

Offline Biggie Hoffman

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: August 11, 2008, 06:39:00 AM »
You macho chest beaters out there just need a few more years packing out your elk. :-)
At 53, I have no problem tipping a guy $300 to pack mine out while I drink a coffee.
I work my A&& of 48 weeks a year to fund my passion most of them 65 hour weeks. I've done enough setting up and taking down camp and packing out meat that time is more valuable to me now than money. When I take a week off and drive to camp, I'd just as soon it be set-up, the wood cut and stacked and the cook already in the cook tent.
Some guys enjoy the camping part and that's fine. Again I used to do all of that too and still do on occasion.
PBS Life Member
Member 1K LLC

"If you are twenty and aren't liberal you don't have a heart...if you're forty and not conservative you don't have a brain".....Winston Churchill

Offline Jack Shanks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: August 11, 2008, 08:39:00 AM »
When I was younger I shared many of your opinions that if I couldn't do it myself I wouldn't be going. I not only couldn't afford a guide but I thought in some way if I didn't do it myself it would some way diminish the satisfaction I would get from the hunt. I went on my first DIY western hunt in 1975 and many more over the next twenty years. I didn't go on my first guided hunt until my two daughters were older and I thought I could afford it.

Going on guided hunts has expanded my horizons. It has allowed me to hunt different species of animals in places I have only dreamed about in the past. If it weren't for guides and outfitters I would still be dreaming and never had the experience of going to those places and hunting other game.
Jack Shanks

Offline George D. Stout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: August 11, 2008, 04:16:00 PM »
Well Biggie....you don't work it completely off 8^).  I have nothing against guided hunts....just not canned hunts.

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: August 11, 2008, 05:39:00 PM »
Any guided hunts I have been on the guide is always 20-30 years younger than I am, has a stride that is 50% longer than mine, willing to hike another 3 miles to another area and seemingly oblivious to the fact that wherever we walk to, we will be walking back!
Always pushing-one guide made me take my boots off so I could put the stalk on a resting hog!! And guess what? I got close enough-his job; and missed-my job! LOL!!
It is a love-hate experience for sure.
A good guide works his tail off-and yours-in an effort to give you value and a memorable hunt.
Just be sure you get a good guide and you will have your money's worth

Offline Rico

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: August 11, 2008, 06:02:00 PM »
Never been on a guided or canned hunt but I don't see anything wrong with either one. Its your time and your money use it how you please.

Offline Jacko

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: August 12, 2008, 07:03:00 PM »
Guided hunts are relativly new to the Aussie hunting scene . I have bowhunted since the late 70's when game and access was plentifull and cost no more than a days works or a reef fish .

I have never paid for guide simply as these hunts are out of my price range .I hunt a property 5 hours from home that charges $25.00 per night to hunt there .

My more financial mates have hunted the same area's I hunt in years past with moderate success but now pay big dollars to hunt in area's that support large accesable populations of game , they pay for opportunities .

All of a sudden they are shooting excellant trophy's and meat animals are usually thrown in the package .

Its a sign of the times that wealth pays a part in hunting success from a trophy point of veiw here in Australia .

When the kids are raised I plan on treating myself to a guided hunt or 2 .

regards Jacko
"To my deep mortification my father once said to me, 'You care for nothing but shooting, dogs and rat- catching, and you will be a disgrace to yourself and all your family.'"

-Charles Darwin

Offline J-dog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: August 12, 2008, 09:28:00 PM »
Yeah I will take smoe guided trips too, like Jacko said when the kids are raised or I get as old as Biggie I will go guided. Just now it is not possible and I cannot wait! But yeah when I get a little more settled ad the kids get out I will treat myself.

Yall be good

J
Always be stubborn.

Captain hindsight to the rescue!

Offline Ray Hammond

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: August 12, 2008, 09:57:00 PM »
Jason Westbrook and Biggie said it all. I used a guide my first elk hunt.  I didnt know squat about it when I went...and wanted to learn. Ive been several times since...and was into bulls, big bulls, all the time I was there...thanks to what I learned from Jeff and Ice.

I have guys come down to pig hunt who've never been around them..but in 2 and 1/2 days they know enough to chase them somewhere on public ground and have a fighting chance to kill one.

Walking with weapons is NOT my idea of an effective way to spend my vacations- I do it sometimes, due to circumstances beyond my control, but you guys that are thinking guided hunts are somehow a cake walk are talking out of your axx...you haven't been on one but you have an opinion. Based on WHAT????

It's like a librarian telling you a book is no good, but she hasn't read it.

No one said "CANNED HUNT BEHIND A FENCE" they said guided hunt. My one week trips are for hunting...I cook at home, a lot, I cook in camp for others who come hog hunting..I don't want to come in at Oh-Dark thirty and have to fix supper on a coleman stove and crawl in teh sack at 130 am to get up at 430 to start all over again..I want to H U N T, and hunt HARD!!!!!!!!!!!!

Every guide I've ever hunted with has been like a buddy to me...and paying him for his expertise and hard work- setting up camp ahead of my arrival, doing a little leg work before I get there to narrow down where the game might be, is worth every penny.

Half the GUIDED HUNTS I've been on resulted in no animal taken....but they were great trips. It's difficult with my schedule and limited draw tags to get two, three or four guys to all draw, and all have the same week off to go out west and hunt together if we wanted to do it.

I find myself most often in camp with total strangers, who later become my friends. And I am grateful for that.

If you wanna be macho man, be macho man. Just don't tell other guys its not "good enough" or "trad enough" if they don't go on their own on every hunt.

If they had elk in Georgia, and mountain goat, and caribou, I would be able to spend the time and learn how to hunt them on my own. Unfortunately, the last elk was killed by "do it yourself" hunters 200 years ago and danged if I dont have to drive to New Mexico to chase em.
“Courageous, untroubled, mocking and violent-that is what Wisdom wants us to be. Wisdom is a woman, and loves only a warrior.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline Alex.B

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #51 on: August 12, 2008, 10:21:00 PM »
Ray, you've just told this here  "macho man" ( me ) to take a chill pill and enjoy life, thank you. I've noticed you always come from behind for a sweep on sensitive issues like this one on tradgang and tell it like it is. I love you and your great common sense for that. Very few people have the gift to explain things the way they are, for everyone to understand. Thanks man!

Alex
tgmm, tanj, compton, bha

Offline J-dog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #52 on: August 12, 2008, 11:47:00 PM »
cool   :archer:
Always be stubborn.

Offline Brian Krebs

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #53 on: August 13, 2008, 02:46:00 AM »
I cannot imagine someone telling me when to shoot; what to shoot at- I could not stand that.

But that is less likely for bowhunters; and less likely than me: ever having the money for a guided hunt.

Its a matter in great part that concerns opprotunity. If you had the money; had the time; and had to have a guide- would you? If you don't have the money- like me- its an easy decision.

-----------------------------------
"Guide? - I don't need no stinkin guide!"
 ........(Amelia Earhart)........
THE VOICES HAVEN'T BOTHERED ME SINCE I STARTED POKING THEM WITH A Q-TIP.

Offline Biggie Hoffman

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #54 on: August 13, 2008, 05:25:00 AM »
Brian, I've been on dozens of guided hunts and only once have I had the guide tell me when to shoot. I told him to sit down and stay put.
As Ray said, most become friends and are just along for the hunt. They may make suggestions on the trophy quality of an animal, if that's important to you but it's your hunt and 99% of the guides know and respect that.
PBS Life Member
Member 1K LLC

"If you are twenty and aren't liberal you don't have a heart...if you're forty and not conservative you don't have a brain".....Winston Churchill

Offline Ray Hammond

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #55 on: August 13, 2008, 08:51:00 AM »
Like I said, if you haven't been on one, how can you form an opinion?

My kids when they were little used to look at new food and say "yuck, I don't want any".Then they'd be forced to try it, and we'd hear "can I have some more please?"

As far as not being able to afford it, I believe if ANY of you analyzed your finances you could find a way to go on a guided, or semi-guided hunt within a year or two.

Give up the beer or smokes, cut down trees for folks and sell the firewood, get a second job and sock the money away, don't bet on fantasy football, go on a cheaper vacation, are some ideas. I bet you can think of others.

This isn't about "stealing" from your family. You are a person just like your wife/husband and your children. Sacrificing your entire existence for the benefit of everyone else is noble, but I think destructive behavior.  

You have batteries that need recharging- your spirit needs revitalization- to help you work better, feel better, and be a better husband/wife and father/mother- living longer for them as well.

Use American Express instead of cash to buy gas, food, and entertainment and pay the bill off at the end of the month. Earn SKY MILES and fly for free essentially. I have enough miles to buy four round trip tickets right now.

Nobody tells me when to shoot, ever. I've never heard of anyone being told to shoot. As Biggie says, I've heard stuff about trophy quality but the choice is yours- its your hunt.

Alex B, wazzzzzup?
“Courageous, untroubled, mocking and violent-that is what Wisdom wants us to be. Wisdom is a woman, and loves only a warrior.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline leatherneck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #56 on: August 13, 2008, 10:00:00 AM »
WOW! I see some that have taken offense to something in this thread. I'm not sure who's post was pounding on there chest, acting like a macho man, etc. I must have missed those. I have been on several guided hunts and have enjoyed all but one. ( the guide used us as his moose pushers as we were bear hunting)Have made several good friends along the way. My previous statements just stated that I enjoy trying things on my own. I'm going on my first elk hunt in a month. Although this is a DIY hunt, I've used the resources as elknut videos, primos videos,friends who have hunted the area, etc. to help educate me on this hunt. I'm only 39 years young and maybe when I'm older I might want someone to cook my food, clean my game, and haul out my meat. But for now I want to still do this on my own. I hunt very hard on any hunt I'm on. I've also ate tag soup more than I've filled my tag. But thats how I wish to hunt. Will I use a guide again, sure I will. But there is still nothing wrong with a DIY hunt. It's not chest beating, it's not macho, it's fun! Isn't that what hunting is about? Good luck all on whatever hunt you decide to go on.

BTW- I have a phone number of a guy that will  pack out an elk if I shoot one. I guess he is considered a guide of sorts. I may be only 39 but I ain't dumb. I've put too many miles on these boots with a pack on my back to be stupid. Later.

Mike
“I can accept failure, everyone fails at something. But I can’t accept not trying"

Offline J-dog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #57 on: August 13, 2008, 10:03:00 AM »
Nevermind, I see nothing wrong with a guide I just care to go on my own. Whatever floats your boat.

I do not believe I need a guide to hunt hard - the kill is not everything - though I want to kill everytime I am out. Do not believe if I do not kill I was just walking in the woods - I hunted hard and got skunked. Lastly thinking of family first is far from destructive behavior.

Yeah I agree w/Ray and Biggie no one tells me when to shoot, or what to shoot. Never heard of a guide doing that? He might suggest you wait for something bigger, or that a animal is legal or not - per local regs and stuff. But to shoot or not is totally your choice.

J

I base my opinions on the fact I have been on guided hunts.
Always be stubborn.

Offline Rick McGowan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #58 on: August 13, 2008, 10:12:00 AM »
Brian, I have guided lots of hunters, some very experienced, some almost their first time and I don't ever remember telling one what to shoot or when not to shoot. I have told a few to "shoot again" to keep a wounded animal from escaping or as insurance to keep US from getting killed. I also have suggested to hunters that a particular animal would be a good one to shoot at, since most of them just don't have enough experience to make that call. One of the hunting experiences I will never forget was Ryan Rothaar and his water buffalo, we made a nearly impossible stalk and when it looked like we might get a chance, I just told him, "you are experienced and know what to do, when I say get ready, take the shot anytime it feels right" and he did.
Everytime this topic comes up, it comes down to two sides, the ones who have never been on a real guided hunt and suggest that they just show up and a guide leads them over to an animal and says, "shoot that one" and then the hunter goes back to camp and breaks out the "good stuff", while the guide does the work. Well I am sure if you have enough money and I am NOT talking about the 5 or 6K hunts, you probably can find hunts like that, but I can tell you, some of the HARDEST physical hunts I have ever been on and the single hardest physically day of my LIFE were on guided hunts. I have nothing against anyone making their own choices on how they spend their money and I have never been on a guided elk hunt myself, I have been on several, diy and outfitted, but unguided hunts and I know what an unguided trad hunter, who has never hunted elk or in the mountains is up against. I know a group of guys, six or eight of them, from the midwest who went out to hunt elk every year for five or six years, these guys had killed 100reds of whitetails collectively and in all those years, they killed ONE elk, a spike bull and that was pure luck on a shot, that never should have been taken. After all that time they decided to go on a guided hunt and started to kill some elk, would they have done better to go on a guided hunt the first year, instead of going on the cheap and then doing it by themselves? I have no doubts. EVERYTIME I go on an elk hunt, by the last day of a one week hunt, I'm the only one still there, all those guys that were so fired up the day before the season are burned out and depressed after three or fours days of not seeing or getting close to elk, at least if they had a guide, ego alone would force them up the mountain another day or two.

Offline leatherneck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #59 on: August 13, 2008, 10:18:00 AM »
Well said Rick, your points are valid. An dmaybe next year I'll say, man I need a guide for these critters. But for now, I'd really like to experience it for myself. Tag soup or not. Thanks for the input.

Mike

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©