3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Next up HOGS..wanna be ready and need some help  (Read 1363 times)

Offline Budog56

• Trad Bowhunter
Next up HOGS..wanna be ready and need some help
« on: January 01, 2007, 08:59:00 PM »
Better start off by wishing everyone a Happy New Year! It was my second year hunting with a bow 25th year of hunting. Unfortunately ive only killed a squirrel and a racoon. Missed two deer quite a few geese and to many squirrels to count. Ive hunted those things all my life though even before the bow. But now have the onportunity to go to the SEMO hog hunt and need some help. Ive been told my deer setup(sprkodiak 65@28 draw 31, gold tip trads aprox 720g with wensels) will work for hogs so i should be good there. Im just wondering how to prepare mentally. What is the average shooting distance, where do you want to hit them i know they are built dif than deer and anything else that might be helpful...Thanks Alot Seth

Offline macbow

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Next up HOGS..wanna be ready and need some help
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2007, 09:07:00 PM »
Good luck Seth. I hope you guys get into them. Hunting hogs in Mo. is definetly a hit and miss proposition.

Just don't aim too tight to the shoulder, If you can get a quarting away shot put it in the last ribs angling forward. Even a broadside lung shot should be a piece of cake with your set up.
Ron
United Bowhunters of Mo
Comptons
PBS
NRA
VET
"A man shares his Buffalo". Ed Pitchkites

Offline Jreyna920

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2007, 02:04:00 AM »
broadside= tight to the shoulder and low

quartering away= center punch hit like a deer

unless you are hunting for a trophy boar i would avoid boars over 100 pounds they tend to have a strong testosteroin smell to them that will stink the house up when cooking

good luck

jreyna920
Chek-mate HunterII 43#@28"@62" & Bob Lee stick 50#@28"@64"

Offline Islandlongbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2007, 02:42:00 AM »
This might help...great information.

http://www.texasboars.com/anatomy.html

Have fun

Jerry
Procrastination is the thief of time.

Offline skeaterbait

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2007, 07:36:00 AM »
Hey Seth,

The site that Jerry put up helped me out tremendously, visit it often and retrain yourself. Take it from someone who has been there and can back up what Dtala says, it's easy for a deer hunter to shoot too far back. Go ahead, ask me how I know, then ask me how many times I know.  :bigsmyl:  

See ya at SEMO.
Skeater who?

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2007, 09:48:00 AM »
Jerry..thanks, that was great.  We need more of those training aids.  I hope someone comes out with a similar set for white-tail deer.
ChuckC

Offline James Wrenn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2007, 10:33:00 AM »
The main thing is to get in behind the shoulder if possible.Go it by following the back of the front leg up and shoot right there.What will look like a great shot on a deer can be nothing but liver on a hog.Everything is packed more forward and low.With that buffaloe setup of yours it don't really matter how you get the broadhead to the spot.If they are broadside you might well get doubles.  :biglaugh:
....Quality deer management means shooting them before they get tough....

Offline wtpops

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2007, 06:19:00 PM »
Shots could be as close as 5 feet to as far as you are willing to shoot. Averyone always says thay are tuff and they are but get a arrow into the good stuff and thay die just like any other animal.
TGMM Family of the Bow
"OVERTHINKING" The art of creating problems that weren't even there!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©