3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Shoot-through screens  (Read 360 times)

Offline Don Stokes

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
Shoot-through screens
« on: August 03, 2008, 09:07:00 AM »
I've started doing some pop-up blind hunting, but I haven't been able to bring myself to shoot my broadheads through the screen. It's supposed to work, but I'm skeptical. I've been tempted to set it up in my yard and give it a test, but I hate to make holes in a nearly-new blind for a test.

I would appreciate some info from others who have tried it. I keep the windows partially open, but it would be good to know I could take a shot through the screen if it really works. I shoot both big three-blades and two-blades, longbow or recurve and wood arrows.
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.- Ben Franklin

Offline rastaman

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Shoot-through screens
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2008, 09:11:00 AM »
I use a double bull & keep the netting pulled tight...i've used 2 blade & 3 blade without problems...
TGMM Family of the Bow

:archer:                                               

Randy Keene
"Life is precious and so are you."  Marley Keene

Offline Biggie Hoffman

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2008, 09:12:00 AM »
Marty has shot thru my Matrix screens twice now while we were doubling up on Osceolas.....both times with a load of number 5's !

Seriously Don, I've shot thru mine several times and see no effect on the arrow. I try to keep it stretched taut but really, unless you're trying to shoot thru several folds of mesh, it doesn't seem to matter at all.

It's  a great excuse though if you mmmmmmmmmmmmiss........
PBS Life Member
Member 1K LLC

"If you are twenty and aren't liberal you don't have a heart...if you're forty and not conservative you don't have a brain".....Winston Churchill

Offline Don Stokes

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2008, 09:34:00 AM »
Remarkable. The instructions with mine say not to shoot a gun through it, I guess because of fire hazard. Another good reason for bowhunting!

I'll have to give it a try in the yard first, just to keep the doubt monster away when the time comes.
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.- Ben Franklin

Online Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2008, 09:40:00 AM »
Don... it's not a bad idea to familiarize yourself with shooting through the screen. You do get a slightly different perspective.

Other than that there is no problem at all.

If you want keep the blind's screen pristine, go to Walmart and buy a piece of camo netting and practice through that.
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline joebuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2008, 03:05:00 PM »
Howdy Don, I shoot about 3" low at 20 yards out of my Matrix screen..It's been documented on video   :scared:    I practice alot in February shooting my bow out of blind for turkey season. It does drop my arrow 0-1" at 10; 1-2" at 20,3-5" at 30yards....I have replaced my screens 4 times for that knowledge!!!  good luck on the deer.. PS thanks for the Vintage Superceders Arrows you had in the vault..As you can tell below , they like my bow also.

Aim down your arrow because thats where it's going.

Offline Don Stokes

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2008, 03:16:00 PM »
Joey, that's perfect if you're huntin' Shetland ponies...

Does it matter how far from the screen you are? My blind is big enough that I can sit back more if that helps.

Offline joebuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2008, 03:30:00 PM »
The Matrix screen will be tightr in some areas then other...tigher the screen i believe less drop. I shoot in the back of the blind...I missed a nice osceloa this year becasue I didn't compensate for the loose fabric in the corner of blind.....plus my camera man sounded like a small asian buffalo sleeping in a mudhole may have accounted for an inch or 2...but your right on with practicing out of it..I had 46 holes in mine before I replaced it last time and still killed a bird on 46th hole...

Offline LBR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2008, 03:54:00 PM »
I've shot several critters through the mesh on my Penthouse, including a squirrel with an Ace blunt.  I can't tell that it affects arrow flight at all, and the holes are so small I haven't bothered replacing the mesh.

It does change the way things look though--especially when the sun is going down--you'll think it's dark when there's still light outside.

Chad

Offline BillJ

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2008, 07:45:00 AM »
What about when shooting a self-bow or longbow?  I've wondered about the paradox of such a bow?  Does the paradox of the arrow at that short distance cause a problem with the mesh?

BillJ
"Whosoever shall call upon the Name of the Lord shall be saved."

Offline Biggie Hoffman

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2008, 01:34:00 PM »
Holy cow!!! Joebuck is blaming that mmmmmmmiss on the blind screen???

HAHHAhhAHAhhHHAhahhaHaahHHAhahHhahaHAH!!!!  :bigsmyl:    :bigsmyl:    :bigsmyl:
PBS Life Member
Member 1K LLC

"If you are twenty and aren't liberal you don't have a heart...if you're forty and not conservative you don't have a brain".....Winston Churchill

Offline LBR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2008, 01:42:00 PM »
BillJ, the critters I mentioned were shot with a longbow and wood arrows, and the shelf is slightly shy of center.  Haven't shot my selfbow from it yet, but I don't think it will be any different.

Chad

Offline Barry Wensel

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2008, 02:14:00 PM »
Among many others, I killed my sable in Zimbabwe at 22 yds. through the screen. Flew perfect and I watched him go down. bw

Offline Marty

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2008, 02:28:00 PM »
Most shots in Africa last year were thru a screen. Had no apparant effect on arrow flight, however al shots were less than 18yds.

Joebuck, if'n I were you, I wouldn't sit with that cameraman ever again. I'm pretty sure that can be arranged.

Offline Joey Ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2008, 02:33:00 PM »
The screen WILL affect your depth perception. Especially in low light. Best to practice first so you can make adjustments. 20 practice shots through the screen in low light at a target vs 1 at a live animal? You make the call.

A GlenDel target, joebuck?

You can't hide money!  :p  

:biglaugh:
Joey Ward

Offline joebuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: August 04, 2008, 03:06:00 PM »
JoeyW...where you been?  GlenDel=Cabela Points!!

Biggie..you have smelt Marty's breath more than me, I guess you are just use to it.

A single bevel I believe with the rotation may cut the mess screen cleaner unless the turbulators catch the shredded thread then a lower profile feather from .75 inches to .667 may provide enough clearance unless the head is heavy Extreme Forward of Center then ........well then the paradox of that arrow 2' past the riser as it hits the screen will be anything but straight with that extra weighted tip will whip the nock end violently back thus causing horizontal tear in the screen instead of a bullet hole tear from a properly tuned bow/arrow weight setup. However the EFOC arrow with extra weight up front will pull the hunting weight arrow through the screen better than a traditional arrow setup which will add 2 mm of height adjustment at 15 yards BUT..........really your better Don is just raise the screen. You need a hole in the blind to let the thermacell haze out!

Offline Don Stokes

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: August 04, 2008, 03:50:00 PM »
Thanks, Joey, I think...

I think I'll just stick with my plain ol' wood arrows with plain ol' fletching, and use plain ol' Cutters for the plain ol' skeeters.

Now then, will a three-blade head aligned with the fletching shoot a couple of millimeters higher too??

Offline Biggie Hoffman

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: August 04, 2008, 04:17:00 PM »
Good point Joey Ward...(good to see you again)
That would be a better excuse for Joebuck to use than the cameraman thing..

I would add that in Africa, the mesh is stretched tight and stapled down.
PBS Life Member
Member 1K LLC

Offline Barry Wensel

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: August 04, 2008, 10:16:00 PM »
Joebuck... you're a class act... that's why we love ya. bw

Offline joebuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: August 05, 2008, 09:13:00 AM »
Thanks Barry but my wife says it all..."low"  I'm a low class act!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©