3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Any canoe hunters out there?  (Read 878 times)

Offline woodslinger

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Any canoe hunters out there?
« on: August 03, 2008, 04:37:00 PM »
I love using a canoe for floating small rivers and also for getting into the many beaver flowages and bogs I hunt around here. Not only is it a  quick and quiet way to get into some great spots but it sure makes getting one out easy when you score.

For some reason deer don't seem to be as spooky when you approach from the water.
Get up close and personal... hunt traditional

Offline Rick P

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Any canoe hunters out there?
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2008, 04:43:00 PM »
Love mine for just the same reasons, a big bull is a little heavy for mine but it works.
Just this Alaskan's opinion

Offline mrgreenhead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2008, 05:30:00 PM »
Well i got 4 canoes in my yard but i aint never hunted one tho .

Offline skillet

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2008, 05:33:00 PM »
Woodslinger, what canoe do you have? I have been hunting one since the spring but I cannot make up my  mind on the design or model?
R.C. Evans
Blacksmith & Bladesmith Apprentice. Chaser of deer and squirrels. Builder of mediocre bows and some nice arrows. "I've never been lost, but have been might misplaced on occassion."

Offline woodslinger

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2008, 05:40:00 PM »
I have a 13' Old Town Discovery. A real nice canoe that can carry a bunch of weight.

Offline Rick P

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2008, 05:43:00 PM »
Sorry for speaking out of turn but for Alaska anyway a 16 foot square stern with a 3-5 horse out board works great. I have a Winona fisherman that is the perfect balance of stability and handling for doing drift trips.

Offline Don Stokes

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2008, 05:55:00 PM »
I love to find a good spot near the water. I've had a ball hunting turkeys and deer that way. I have a 16' Grumman that's seen a lot of water. I've just built a dam on my place that will back up about 8 acres of water, and I plant to put a stand or two around the lake that I will float to. Silent approach, and no scent trail!
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.- Ben Franklin

Offline Bouncer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2008, 05:56:00 PM »
I use a Winona Fisherman also,and think its a great canoe,very stable.

Offline woodslinger

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2008, 06:00:00 PM »
Rick P,

I must admit that a square stern with a motor is also part of my fleet. I have a 20' Grand Laker with a 6hp Evinrude. If I ever get lucky enough to get a moose tag you can bet this will be what I use.

Offline Rick P

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2008, 06:01:00 PM »
Bouncer I'm hoping to use mine on my sheep hunt in 7 days, if the rivers not too high.(lots of flooding in fairbanks area)

Offline Rick P

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2008, 06:11:00 PM »
Woodslinger
Your really not missing much, moose hunting is more work than fun, I think anyway, in fact I target spike forks instead of big bulls to cut down on the load on my back. Also Moose are even dumber than a fence post and not much of a challenge too stalk.

OK before I'm booed off the forum think of this the average moose yields 900lbs of meat! Not big bull, average! All that's got to be carried out usually several miles or days journey home. Last moose I harvested took 9, 3 mile trips just too get it back too the canoe.

Offline woodslinger

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2008, 07:07:00 PM »
Rick,
You ever want some help with those "fence posts" you give me a holler. They may be dumb but they sure eat good!

Offline Rick P

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2008, 07:13:00 PM »
whole reason I go through all the effort, Moose meat! Here's something that will really cheese ya I hunt Moose within 100 yards of my back door. My property back up to the Chugach mountains and Chugach state park.

Sorry man couldn't resist.

Offline woodslinger

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2008, 07:19:00 PM »
Thanks a bunch! I spent one year at the University of Alaska Fairbanks and absolutely loved it. I didn't get to do any big game hunting but  Isure put a hurt on the ptarmigan, grouse and bunnies. You live in a great state.

We have plenty of moose here in Maine but you have to be drawn through a lottery.

Offline Morning Star

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2008, 09:19:00 PM »
My user name "Morning Star" is the model of Bell canoe that I use for hunting.  Nothing beats paddling in...in the dark and paddling out in the dark.   Mostly use it to get to my spots and get my deer out.  I would like to kill something while paddling at some point though.
Iowa Bowhunters Association - Your voice in Iowa's bowhunting and deer hunting issues!

Offline SOS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2008, 09:49:00 PM »
Oh yeah!....A trolling motor, flashlight and a cup of coffee for the dark, silent sneak to the stand has been the demise of many a buck...and a hog or two.  Using a cheap old Coleman with trolling motor to get about 1/2 mile up a small river to some very sweet little neck of the woods.  Main problem the statewide drought has the water levels too low....boo-hoo!

Offline Marshrat

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: August 03, 2008, 10:17:00 PM »
Yep use my Canoe to come in and out. Get set up in the dark and wate on the truck doors to start closing to move them my way. Works every time.
At the rate this world is going Enjoy today for it is the good old days your Kids and Grandkids will hear about

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: August 03, 2008, 10:38:00 PM »
I must admit that a square stern with a motor is also part of my fleet. I have a 20' Grand Laker with a 6hp Evinrude. If I ever get lucky enough to get a moose tag you can bet this will be what I use.
This was on my moose hunt in 1979. Forty miles as the crow flies   UP STREAM It took one day to get into the hunting area going down and two days coming out. The Moose was totally boned out and distributed in the two canoes. The canoe in front is a 20 footer with a 10 horse, and I was in a 17 foot with a 7 1/2 horse.    

We live in the present, we dream of the future, but we learn eternal truths from the past
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.
Life is like a wet sponge, you gotta squeeze it until you get every drop it has to offer

Offline Rusty in Fla.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: August 03, 2008, 11:31:00 PM »
Several years ago we were on a church canoe trip. during the laughing and splashing I happened to notice a flock of turkeys just meandering down the bank not paying us the slightest bit of attention. I thought to myself then, if I ever got the chance I'd like to be back on that river bank during spring gobbler season.
If you're gonna be stupid, ya gotta be tough.

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: August 04, 2008, 08:45:00 AM »
We live in the present, we dream of the future, but we learn eternal truths from the past
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.
Life is like a wet sponge, you gotta squeeze it until you get every drop it has to offer

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©