3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Help me make the wise decision  (Read 2135 times)

Offline 8up

• Trad Bowhunter
Help me make the wise decision
« on: February 23, 2007, 02:26:00 AM »
Ok I have been on a binge to buy a new bow. I have been shooting an early 70's Bear Super Grizzly at about 45# at 26". Today I talked with Mike Fedora and am convinced I want a 52" Stalker.

Now comes the dilemma. I feel with work I will be able to pull 55# so I don't want to order a 50# bow and later wish I had a 55# bow as I can ony afford to do this once.

Option #1 I order the 55# and pull it a little each day as I shoot my 45#? I shoot everyday so is this a realistic plan?

Or

Option #2 I buy a Bear Grizzly for $150 and shoot it until I can control it Then order the 55# Fedora?

The problem with option #2 is I will use up a good chunk of my saved money on the Grizzly.
If God is your Co-pilot, change seats.

Offline bihunter

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Help me make the wise decision
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2007, 02:30:00 AM »
My suggestion is shoot the poundage that you will be comfortable with. Overbowing yourself won't be very much fun

Offline GEREP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2007, 03:33:00 AM »
My suggestion would be to buy the 50# if that particular model is what you have your heart set on.  In my opinion, 50# is more than adequate for anything you are likely to hunt.  

For what it's worth, read over as many threads as you can regarding bow weight.  There are 10 times as many people coming down in weight as apposed to going up.  There is a reason for that.

Remember, you said you will probably not do this again(we have all said that...lol) so you have to make sure that the bow you do choose is as multi purpose as it can be.  To each his own, but in my opinion, you would enjoy the lighter weight more.

KPC
To the best of my knowledge, no man, on his death bed, ever said "I wish I had spent more time at the office..."

Offline DarkeGreen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2007, 04:06:00 AM »
I vote 50# too.

Offline Brian Krebs

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2007, 04:50:00 AM »
50 ought to be enough; but are you ordering 50 at your 26 inch draw- or 50 at 28" ?? Correct me if I am wrong; but most bows loose about 2 pounds per inch or gain about that- so a 50 pound bow would be about 46 pounds at your draw; and a 55 pound would be about 51 at your 26 inch draw. I would think that would differ from bow to bow and have length and other factors influencing it too.
  New bow  :)  that is a fun thing  :)
THE VOICES HAVEN'T BOTHERED ME SINCE I STARTED POKING THEM WITH A Q-TIP.

Offline bayoulongbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2007, 06:33:00 AM »
Order 52#...
"If you're living your life as if there is no GOD, you had  better be right!"

Offline James Wrenn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2007, 06:55:00 AM »
Well there is really nothing you can do with 55lbs that you can not do with 50.Chances are you will do it better with the lighter weight. jmo
....Quality deer management means shooting them before they get tough....

Offline BMOELLER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2007, 07:01:00 AM »
I jumped in shooting 62# took awhile to get built up for it.  Then I ordered a bow and had it made for 62#.  Starting to shoot 3D and wish I had a set of lighter limbs, can't afford it now.  I wish I would have ordered my bow at 55#.  So my answer to your dilema is what Bayou said 52-53# a happy medium.
2009 Kansas State ASA Traditional Champion

Offline MikeC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2007, 07:08:00 AM »
I used to hunt with 50 to 60 lb bows.  Now I hunt with 40 to 48 lb bows.  Over time you learn things and smarten up.  Get the 50 and enjoy the comfort and confidence.
1 Corinthians 1:18

For the word of the cross is to them that perish foolishness; but unto us who are saved it is the power of God.

Offline Strutter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2007, 07:20:00 AM »
Not sure how long you've been shooting trad, but, when I started, I was drawing 26" as you are.  After shooting around a year, my draw went to 27.5" for some reason.  May have gotten stronger, form changed or something, but now the bow I had made at 53@26 is more like [email protected].  No problems with it at all but just thought I'd give you an idea that your's may change as well.

Rob

Offline mike g

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2007, 08:28:00 AM »
Go with the 50# and if ya do gain an inch in pull you'll get a couple more pounds....
A well shot 50 with  good arrow flight and shot placement will Kill anything on the North American continent....
"TGMM Family of the Bow"

Offline Gunney

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2007, 09:15:00 AM »
Ron,

I'm probably the odd man out here, but I'll give you a different senerio.

I'd say order a bow from Mike anywhere between 45 to 50 lbs at your true draw length. Many might disagree with me, I'd also say stay closer to 47/48#. With Mike's Stalker, he will build it to your draw length, and since it is a short bow, those limbs will unfold and perform better or equal to a heavier bow.....believe me.

Shorter Bows are also sometimes harder to shoot and more sensitive to finger pinch and release (I said sometimes......don't beat me up everyone). Do not throw in another factor by possibly being overbowed as well.

If you plan to hunt local in Tennesee, you'll probably be hunting whitetail, some hogs, and bear....right? I'm sure you'll be shooting some 3D with it too. That lighter weight will be plenty, you'll see.

And the best part of it is that the bow will be a joy to shoot at that weight, you'll keep your form in check, and your shoulder in great shape.

Another thing, shoot that lower weight for about a year and see how it performs for you through hunting season.

Buy yourself some decent carbons that match that short bow and it will be a deadly set up.

Make sure you also talk to Mike about his famous thumb rest. Talk about comfortable...........

Offline Golden Hawk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2007, 09:41:00 AM »
Have them make it a 50#er. That is all you'll most likely need, and you won't end up developing bad habits or injuries.
LeRoy

Charter member of TBJA (Trad Bow Junkies of America)

Offline Golden Hawk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2007, 09:46:00 AM »
You could always get a T/D. Then if you wanted to step up ypu could just order limbs. Just a thought.
LeRoy

Charter member of TBJA (Trad Bow Junkies of America)

Offline Jaeger

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2007, 09:49:00 AM »
Or you could go with an Xtreme takedown hybrid longbow. They can make them 54" and you can order extra sets of limbs as you want/need them.
The Xtremes are some very fast, very quiet bows with all the manners of a good recurve.
My shooting/hunting buddy has one. I took him to Fedoras to look at recurves. He didn't want a longbow and he didn't want a takedown. After shooting a bunch of curves I convinced him to try an Xtreme. He bought it.
TGMM Family of the Bow
United Bowhunters of PA

Offline Over&Under

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2007, 09:52:00 AM »
I had a similar dilima when I ordered my custom, I wanted to shoot 55# but need good form more than more a few more #s.  I ordered mine at 52#s, and I am sure glad I did!!  I can control the weight, work on form, and am having fun doing it.  

Jake
“Elk (add hogs to the list) are not hard to hit....they're just easy to miss"          :)
TGMM

Offline 8up

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2007, 11:34:00 AM »
Ok so far its go with the Fedora at 50# with some saying 52#. I like the idea. I was just trying to maximize my draw weight to compensate for my short draw. I just want to make sure I have enough to do the job, on deer, matbe a hog or black bear. If I ever get to elk hunt it will most likely be a one time thing and I will use a gun most likely.

Thanks to everyone who gave their advice.
If God is your Co-pilot, change seats.

Offline Scott S.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2007, 11:40:00 AM »
I like the split-the-difference and go with a bow in the 52-53# range if you feel you need more that 50#.

Also I like the takedown idea with 2 sets of limbs.

If you went with that 50# Grizzly for $150, you could resell it for about that if you still felt you wanted to move up in weight.  That would free up your spending money again.
"The fear of you and the dread of you shall be upon every beast of the earth and upon every bird of the heavens, upon everything that creeps on the ground and all the fish of the sea. Into your hand they are delivered." Gen 9:2

Offline Rusty in Fla.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2007, 04:35:00 PM »
I went from a 60# to a 50# Vision. I used to like the way the arrows would fly out of the 60#. I clocked them @209 FPS once with a cedar arrow. The 50# is noticeably slower but my groups are much tighter. I also enjoy shooting it more as I feel like I'm able to work on form instead of constantly fighting the bow.
  MY son is 19 and he like the idea of pulling a heavy bow so he's using the 60# for now. We're both happy.
  The Amish have a saying... "Too soon old, too late smart."

God Bless and God's speed,
       Rusty <><
If you're gonna be stupid, ya gotta be tough.

Offline dad

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: February 24, 2007, 12:12:00 AM »
I was in the same delima. I got a take down and I'm glad I did. I have Two sets of limbs 39# and 45#. I'm glad I did the light ones for leagues and switching to heaver limbs and broadheads for hunting big game. They take the same spine arrow for both.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©