3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Help me make the wise decision  (Read 2134 times)

Offline 8up

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Help me make the wise decision
« Reply #20 on: February 24, 2007, 01:01:00 AM »
I just sold a 2006 Assenheimer I thought it was pretty and it shot well but was bulky compared to the bear I'm shooting. It was 62 inches and felt heavy. If I were going to shoot a takedown it woud have to be a really light one(not draw weight) I might would like the Fedora 560 t/d 54"
If God is your Co-pilot, change seats.

Offline dachba

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: June 11, 2007, 07:16:00 PM »
Just a note on speed.  If you are going up in weight to get more speed than your old bow, there is no need.  Any Fedora should beat that old Bear hands down.  
Dave in Ft. Collins, CO
Dave from North Bend, Oregon

Offline Curveman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: June 11, 2007, 09:59:00 PM »
I jumped from 50-61# years ago and I am glad I did though at the time I did it solely so I could legally hunt moose in NH.  I needed to work at it a bit but now the 61# is a light bow. Joint problems my arse. It is the lack of weightlifting and excercise that is causing the joint problems. Some YOUNG guys now can't move a glass without pulling a muscle. The general softening of the American male. When I HAVE to go lighter I will. Pushin' 50, I ain't there yet. I'm not going gently into that good night! I want to hunt BIG game in Africa one day soon!  :biglaugh:
Compliance Officer MK,LLC
NRA Life Member

Offline southpawshooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: June 11, 2007, 10:12:00 PM »
There is nothing wrong with going up in weight. You have everything to gain from the added horsepower as long as you can control it well.  If your heart is set on more poundage my suggestion would be to order the 55# bow and get yourself a bowfit in the heavy size (50 to 80#), and maybe the companion video. 3Rivers Archery sells both.  Start using the bowfit right away, and by the time Mike has your bow completed you will be ready to take on the additional weight in a controllable manner.
Scott F >>--->   @

"if the wood don't fly the bunny don't die" - Stone Knife, JLMBH 2008

Proud member of Team Pink

Offline 8up

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: June 11, 2007, 11:49:00 PM »
Wow this is an old thread. I ended up with a 53# @ 26" and have not been able to control it very well. I actually called Mike today to have him narrow the handle and take a few pounds off....Ron
If God is your Co-pilot, change seats.

Offline dachba

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: June 12, 2007, 02:10:00 AM »
8up, bringing it back up is my fault.  I did a search on Fedora and this thread popped up.  I became interested in it and posted without thinking it was an old thread.  It's good, though, to hear the resolution of your weight issue.

Dave in Ft. Collins, CO
Dave from North Bend, Oregon

Offline Brian Krebs

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: June 12, 2007, 07:14:00 PM »
I think the 50 pounder should be fine. I shot a 350 pound bow for over a decade; and my forearms got so big; the string hit me everytime. I had a doctor cut off the skin from my arm and had it tanned; and then re-attached to serve as a natural armguard; but eventually it wore out; and I am not sure it was worth the effort.
 50 pounds should do the job unless you flight shoot elephants: like I do all the time. Yes I get excellent penetration on everything from squirrels to rino; its really expensive to buy brooms and cut off the handles for arrows.
THE VOICES HAVEN'T BOTHERED ME SINCE I STARTED POKING THEM WITH A Q-TIP.

Offline Diamond Paul

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: June 12, 2007, 07:28:00 PM »
I wouldn't go over 50lbs; if you are shooting 45 now, 10lbs is a big jump on a stickbow, like adding 30+ pounds on a compound, or close to it.  Have him make it the weight you want at your draw length, for sure.  50 is plenty for anything except maybe a big bear on this continent.
“Sometimes the shark go away, sometimes he wouldn’t go away.” Quint, from Jaws

Offline Grendal

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: June 13, 2007, 12:59:00 PM »
Go with the 50#'er - it's plenty.     :archer:
Bob Lee Hunter 62" 52#@28"

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©