3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: GA gators and perfect timing!  (Read 768 times)

Offline Rick McGowan

• Trad Bowhunter
GA gators and perfect timing!
« on: August 03, 2008, 07:41:00 PM »
Well, I got to say the state of GA is right at the top when it comes to hunter friendly draws, the deadline for the alligator drawing was July 31st, before I got up the next morning I already had an email telling me I was unsuccessful, it wasn't a surprise, today I got another email saying the first one was a mistake and I WAS drawn(I didn't really want to be this year). I was a member of the Paradise for many years and it had lots of gators, right in front of the house even, now we are out of there, BUT I have a gator permit for that area and no where to hunt and no access to a boat! A day late and a dollar short, again!

Offline alligatordond

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: GA gators and perfect timing!
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2008, 08:54:00 PM »
Dang Rick, Sounds like my kind of luck. Hope you can work it out somehow.
DonD

Offline Ray Hammond

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2008, 09:53:00 PM »
I bet if you call Sam you can use that tag, Rick!

We missed you big time last night at the banquet.
“Courageous, untroubled, mocking and violent-that is what Wisdom wants us to be. Wisdom is a woman, and loves only a warrior.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline SOS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2008, 10:34:00 PM »
Rick,

What section is that tag?  You did miss a good time last night.  Steve

Offline Liquid Amber

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2008, 07:05:00 AM »
My buddy had landowner tags for SC when I was there April.  He, Monty B. and I attempted to fill a couple and had numberous opportunities on 6 and 7 footers but passed, holding for 8' or better.

You hunt just down the river from there Ray.  SC has a private landowner program that provides landowners gator tags for their use under certain criteria.  You might check into it.

Sure wished I'd had the opportunity to get a gator tag when I lived in Douglas, GA back in the '70s.  There were a couple I'd of like to have removed from some of my fishing holes.   :)

Offline Rick McGowan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2008, 09:47:00 AM »
Don, I may be contacting you for info.
Sorry I missed the banquet, I just got home from a long road trip in Las Vegas and 16 hour days in heat well over the century mark wore me to a nub. I lost quite a few pounds though!
SOS, five
How was the banquet? Better than last year, I hope!

Offline matt schuster

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2008, 01:26:00 PM »
Did anyone else get notification?   I didn't get a yeah or a neah.

Offline Rick McGowan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2008, 01:29:00 PM »
Matt, do they have your email addy? You can go to the website for results.

Offline Rick McGowan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2008, 01:49:00 PM »
Matt, I checked the list, I didn't see your name, to bad we could have teamed up!

Offline matt schuster

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2008, 03:21:00 PM »
Bummer, Rick, if you wanna try and get that 8-footer at Paradise let me know and we can give it a shot, although I've never done it before.

Offline Rick McGowan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2008, 07:03:00 PM »
Matt, that makes two of us! How hard could it be? I'll be in touch.

Offline alligatordond

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2008, 09:58:00 PM »
It's a piece of cake boys. Just don't overcomplicate it.
DonD

Offline Rick McGowan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2008, 10:02:00 AM »
Don, how do you do it, at night from a boat? Line attached to a float?

Offline alligatordond

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2008, 05:00:00 PM »
Rick, We do it from the boat and at night. The trick is getting to within bow range. That said, a basic bowfishing rig will work, most have enough line that you don't really need a float. However, I usually use an old hand wind bowfishing rig with the tag end tied to a milk jug. Try to have a few ready to go so you can get multiple lines in the gator. A fish arrow with a "gator" tip works well for the line arrow. I've used regular alum. shafts as well, back when times were tough. For the kill arrow I would use a regular heavy deer/elk shaft with a good 2 blade broadhead. The gator will surface back up so just send the shaft straight down through the vitals.There is no need to make long distance kill shots, you can usually work him close to the boat .A gaff is helpful in raising the "dead" gator as are the multiple lines. Bangstick optional. When you have the live gator on the line there is no need to horse him to the side of the boat. Play him like you would leader a big fish. Often light pressure will bring him right to you. Once "dead" use electrical tape to close the jaws shut. It tends to hold better than duct tape when wet. And use a stable boat, I can just see you and Matt in a 10 ft jonboat trying to land a 250 pound gator.

There are probably better ways to do it but this has worked well for me. Other than the kill shot it is basically bowfishing for big fish.

I also require ALL in the boat to wear a belt knife. You may have to cut yourself free if you get a leg etc caught in the gator line as he makes his run. The fear here is not the gator but drowning.
DonD

Offline Benny Nganabbarru

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2008, 05:14:00 PM »
Rick, the idea is to make as good a shot as you can, then jump in and wrestle the 'coot, maybe giving his tummy a rub like that Seminole mate of Howard's!

All the best!
TGMM - Family of the Bow

Offline Rick McGowan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2008, 07:28:00 PM »
Don, well since you posted this, I am going to have a hard time talking Schuster into that 10 ft. jonboat!   :scared:  
Ben, I was just thinking of doing the old Mic Dundee on him with my knoif!

Offline alligatordond

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: August 06, 2008, 09:54:00 PM »
Just check and make sure it's a female gator and let Matt sweet talk her into giving up.
DonD

Offline SOS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: August 06, 2008, 09:56:00 PM »
Matt was begging for some good looking females the other day.....nuff said!

Offline RC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: August 06, 2008, 09:59:00 PM »
I just got a canoe I`d let you and Schuster use.Catch is you gotta let me watch. lol
  I do have a 14 footer with a small mercury on it and trolling motor as well.Ya`ll are welcome to use it.I can`t remeber if there is a ramp at that oxbow or not.RC

Offline Rick McGowan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: August 07, 2008, 10:38:00 AM »
Matts ALWAYS begging for good looking females, I'm just sure how low his standards have dropped!
Don, please send Matt an email explaining exactly how he needs to find out if its a female and probably an instructional video!
RC, yup there is a ramp by what is left of the boat house, I may take you up on that, is it on a trailer?

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©