3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: my recurve vs longbow results  (Read 758 times)

Offline Deadbolt

• Trad Bowhunter
my recurve vs longbow results
« on: August 03, 2008, 07:56:00 PM »
Well I just got a new to me longbow and have fallen in love with it!  I've only recently had the chance to shoot a longbow and I enjoy them a lot but anyhoot I ran some numbers from both my bows and here are the results.

BOW 1: Black Widow PSAV 62" 50@28

BOW 2: Bob Lee Stick 62" 47@28

I draw a solid 27...

ARROW 1: Easton GG 500 28 1/2" 145g head wrap w/ 4x5" feather total arrow weight 510 grains

ARROW 2: Axis 500 28 1/2" 275g head wrap 3x5 1/2 feather total arrow weight 560 grains

RESULTS:
Arrow 1: Longbow 130fps Recurve 140fps

Arrow 2: Longbow 125fps Recurve 135fps

So that's what I got for energy produced.  Now my though is when it comes to hunting what would you take the noisier recurve with a bit more speed or the ultra quiet longbow thatsb a hair slower?

Online kennym

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: my recurve vs longbow results
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2008, 07:58:00 PM »
It'd be the quiet one for me! Good luck with whichever!!
Stay sharp, Kenny.

https://www.kennysarchery.com/

Offline Longbow Bowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2008, 08:02:00 PM »
Longbow

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2008, 08:42:00 PM »
No bout-a-dout-it The Long bow....numbers that close, got to go quite as you can.

Offline James Wrenn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2008, 08:51:00 PM »
I would take the one you shoot best.Are you sure you pull 27"? Those are low numbers for both of those bows even with the heavy arrows you are shooting.jmo
....Quality deer management means shooting them before they get tough....

Offline Deadbolt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2008, 09:02:00 PM »
Yea I pull 27 those arrows just came out really heavy for both bows.

Offline James Wrenn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2008, 09:10:00 PM »
I would doubt the crono you used then.Both of those bows are pretty good performers and those numbers are out of line for where they should be with your draw length.Still I would hunt with the one that you can hit the spot the best with.That means more than numbers.:0
....Quality deer management means shooting them before they get tough....

Online Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2008, 10:04:00 PM »
Numbers don't look too out of line to me.  Drawing 47# and 42# or so and 500-550 grain arrows.  And a shorter draw isn't as efficient as a longer one.  We all would like to think our bows are speed demons.  The chronos keep us honest.  Regardless, either is enough to do the job on deer.

Offline Deadbolt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2008, 10:06:00 PM »

Offline Rick P

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2008, 10:14:00 PM »
Nice baiting.

Long and short of it is this here your numbers mean nothing only thing that counts is which bow can you shoot better/enjoy more. No big game animal will notice the difference between the 2 bows.
Just this Alaskan's opinion

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2008, 10:27:00 PM »
I have owned many Widows and drawn to 28"s and shooting 10 shooting 10 grain per pound they all did much better, they were all closer to 170 fps.  Isuspect the chrono #s to be off as well. Shawn
Shawn

Online Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2008, 11:49:00 PM »
560 divided by 47# equals 11.9 grain per pound; divided by 44#, it equals 12.7 grains per pound.  Draw length is 27 inches.  Smoothness of release can also affect chrono results.  Take two grains per inch off the arrow weight and add an inch of draw and 3# of bow weight (and maybe fast flight strings, if they aren't already on the bows) and the 135 fps for the widow would be closer to 170.  Kind of whizzing into the wind here though.  Either is a good arrow weight and either bow throws them fast enough to do the job.  Shoot what you like.

Offline Curveman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2008, 06:07:00 AM »
Sounds lie you have "fallen in love" with the new longbow so you should just shoot that. You have enough speed. Unless you have something wrong with your recurve in terms of its design or not quieting it down right, it should be plenty quiet enough to kill a deer. Usually people have a longer draw length with a recurve>
Compliance Officer MK,LLC
NRA Life Member

Offline madness522

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2008, 06:33:00 AM »
Take the one you shoot best and trust most.  A deer is capable of jumping the string on even the fastest wheelie bows so I like to make my bows as quiet as possible.
Barry Clodfelter
TGMM Family of the Bow.

Offline Deadsmple

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2008, 09:36:00 AM »
Hey Tom, you know me I'll say leave the recurve at home and go with the "short"bow I mean longbow. I could care less about the numbers. As long as you are comfortable shooting it and you don't have to stand on your toes to do so. hehehe BTW I thought you were gonna set up some of those AD's you got from Pat. I still have some of those 2413's if you need 'em.
All praise is the Lords

"to get to heaven, turn right and stay straight"

Offline swampbuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: August 04, 2008, 10:05:00 AM »
I'd shoot which ever one that "I" wanted to at the moment.If ya can't hit squat with one of them but can with the other the choice is also simple only you can say which is best for you

If ya pay attention to body language the deer will tell you most times if it's prepared to jump the string from either
Shoot straight and have FUN!!

Offline Deadbolt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: August 04, 2008, 12:11:00 PM »
Shawn what was the poindage on you widow? Plua you have a full inch on my draw...if you were producing the numbers I would I'd def question my setup...but I'm confident in my setup and to me that's the most important part.

Vaughn I have been so busy I haven't had time to get to the local archery shop and find some 2413 to be honest with ya.  And yea I don't have to stand on my toes with this bow lol.

Thanks for the replies guys if I find time I'll try to fine some lighter arrows like a 1816 or 1916 and see what the numbers say.

Offline Recurve50 LBS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: August 04, 2008, 02:26:00 PM »
Tom

I've seen you shoot, and since you are a good shot choose the bow you shoot best.
Larry W.

Member TANJ

NRA Life Member

56" 45#@28" Thunder Stick Mag
62" 45#@28" Turkey Creek Longbow
1966 42#@28" Bear Grizley

Offline Jerry Jeffer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: August 04, 2008, 03:41:00 PM »
Tom, glad to hear you got a long bow. I have some 2016 if you want to try a couple.  I say shoot what ever moves you. Just get close and shoot straight.
I will give thanks to the LORD because of his righteousness and will sing praise to the name of the LORD Most High.

Offline Deadbolt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: August 04, 2008, 05:11:00 PM »
Jerry thanks for the offer bud...I have a few that shoot with my blackwidow and these new easton 500's are suppose to spine similar to em.  I think I would really need a 1916 to spine out properly with this bow.

Larry thanks for the kind words bud!  Hows your son?

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©