3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Will deer eat "old" apples?  (Read 359 times)

Offline Tom Anderson

• Trad Bowhunter
Will deer eat "old" apples?
« on: August 04, 2008, 09:01:00 AM »
You know, the kind that get thrown out from the supermarket's produce section?  ;)  
I may have a source...
(formerly "NativeCraft")
Wilson, NC

"short skirts create less drag in the woods..." (Dave Worden)

Offline ka

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Will deer eat "old" apples?
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2008, 09:09:00 AM »
according to my mother -in -laws fruit trees they never let any fruit (peaches,pears, and especially apples go to waste). Always wished i had put out a few apples trees in choice locations where i hunt as They camp out around these trees.Waiting for one to fall.

Offline deermaster1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2008, 02:30:00 PM »
yea, they will eat 'em.  also, in the cold late season, they will actually dig old cores out of the snow around trees and eat them.  get a deer cold and hungry enough, and they will eat near 'bout anything.  its cool that your from nc, with baiting allowed and all.  it really makes sense, being how you dont have to be a farmer or have expensive food plot equipment to have a good hunt.  also helps when hunting the thick stuff to give you a chance to wait for a good shot angle, rather than rushing it at a deer that would normally walk on by.  really gives deer a reason to stop so you can settle down and make a good shot. good luck to ya this fall!
"I dont want my country to do anything for me, I want to do everything I can do for my country"~~~Ted Nugent

Offline Bill Carlsen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2008, 02:54:00 PM »
I had a bucket of drops that I forgot that I had stored in the garage. They had begun to rot and ferment and were brown in color. I put them out under the feeder and they were gone in one night.
The best things in life....aren't things!

Offline Jerry Jeffer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2008, 03:26:00 PM »
Simple answer. Yes
I will give thanks to the LORD because of his righteousness and will sing praise to the name of the LORD Most High.

Offline carphunter100

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2008, 03:39:00 PM »
You are allowed to bait here in WV and my Dad picks up apples all the time and freezes them. He puts them out all season long and deer eat them. Get-em the deer will eat them.
Member WV Bowhunters Associaion Life member of Trad. Bowhunters of Southern WV

Offline BRITTMAN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2008, 03:52:00 PM »
Yea they will tear them up espicaly in the hot early season . One of my old trick was to put a couple of bags of apples in the freaser and when all the apples fell off the trees I would put out the ones I had in the freaser . Its hot in N.C. during early bow season and sometimes all the way to Nov.  so the Deer would tear thoese cold juicy apples up .

Mike
" Live long and prosper "

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©